Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale Free-for-All Discussion Thread Where Spoilers May Appear

Wow! Thank you so much! As far as I know, Choice of Games actually did in the end manage to get the same artist used for Midsummer and Tally Ho, but I am going to keep maripazvillar in mind for other projects: she’s really good!

12 Likes

Oh good for you @Gower :grin: I’m glad it worked out. And please check out her comic on WEBTOON it’s REALLY good

2 Likes

I’m happy to say that Cakes and Ale is in the final week or so of beta, and I think it’s gotten nicely polished in the process! The beta testers have been amazing, caught tons of little (and big) errors, and suggesting the addition of some character moments that now I can’t imagine not being in the game.

The final word count is about 1.15 million words, in eight chapters, plus a short prologue. After a good long nap, I’m hoping to start in on polishing the outline of Game 2 of the series and start writing!

Thanks for all the support on this thread over the past year or so!

70 Likes

Excited to hear about this! I’m looking forward to reading the final product. Been inching for historical IF for a while. :smiley:

5 Likes

Please tell me that’s a CoG record right there.

Well, that means more fun for me! I enjoyed Tally Ho and now l’m looking forward to it’s release😁

11 Likes

I really enjoyed Tally Ho, I can’t wait to try the demo when it’s released.

The game is in copyediting as we speak! I’d guess it takes a while to copyedit 1.17 M words, so I have to wait until the fall to share it with you, but I’m making good use of the time by polishing my outline for Game 2 in the series…

43 Likes

I thought Haze was a dream then there was Fritz. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

So excited for more stories in this setting!! Is there any chance you’ll implement some sort of save or checkpoint system, as in other choice of games like Choice of Rebels and Tin Star? It was the one gripe I had about Tally Ho, I would really want to get later game achievements but so annoying to replay the prior chapters over and over. Either way, I’m on the edge of my seat for a sequel!!

5 Likes

I wish! It’s just too big a job for me to figure out how to do it effectively. I started to put one into Tally Ho at one point, but (I forget why) I had terrible trouble with it and decided to scrap it. For Cakes and Ale, I toyed with the notion early on, but as the variables got into the high hundreds, I couldn’t deal with it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. Now I know I’ve got to plan not just a weekend but an extended weekend getaway to have any chance of getting an uninterrupted playthrough in.
Excited to meet mr. golden tights personally, hope he’s a real cutie. :grin:

Probably not, but remember this is topsy turvy merry old England we’re talking about, they drink their ale warm too. :roll_eyes: And of course the English aristo’s tended to be even weirder than the rest of the country. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But that is of course strictly my view from across the continental end of the Channel.

5 Likes

Commenting on here to say I am SO READY to play this game officially! I thoroughly enjoyed the beta. My partner and I are watching Granada’s Jeeves & Wooster with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, and I keep whispering, “Hey, I remember when something like this happened in Jolly Good!” :smile: :tropical_drink:

15 Likes

I don’t know if we’re allowed to ask these kinds of questions here, but I don’t think I ever got admitted to the beta testing thread so I can’t ask it there (or I’m just clueless because I’m not very familiar with the forums). I’ve been wondering about Fitzie’s ethnicity, since they’ve got a dark complexion but grew up in Ireland and such. Did you have a specific ethnicity in mind for them or is it supposed to remain ambiguous? I hope this isn’t ignorant, I have just been assuming that they’re related to commonwealth immigrants or something similar and was curious about whether that was actually the case or if that’s just my mind filling in gaps. Again sorry if this sound ignorant!

1 Like

First of all, ask away! I’m happy to do my best to answer.

I do have a specific origin for Fitzie, but it’s not something I get very much into in this particular game in the series, so it is left a bit ambiguous here. Probably in the next game we’ll delve into Fitzie’s biography a bit more if the player cares to do some snooping in that area.

12 Likes

That sounds so exciting! I can’t wait for the next game, you’re really doing God’s work here.

3 Likes

Psssst: You can now wishlist Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale on Steam!

49 Likes

@Gower I’m really looking forward to this. Thank you, in advance for working hard on it and for doing the deep dive with the breadth and depth involved.

I am very glad you are releasing it the week before Cyberpunk 2077 … it should give everyone enough time to play your offering before switching out to the other, the following week.

6 Likes

You can only see a little slice of the art on the Steam page, but you may notice the cover is by Paola Tuazon.

19 Likes

Ahhhh! That Cover Art is perfect!!! Can’t wait to get back into the club! :heart:

7 Likes

Tally Ho is amongst my absolute favourites amongst all the choice games I’ve played, so I can only imagine that this will join it in that list :). I’m seriously looking forward to it, 3 months is going to feel like an eternity, lol.

5 Likes