Is there a age limit for publishing in hosted games?

I was also wondering that for Heart Choice too. Do both of them have a limit on your age for you to publish?

Does hosted games have an age requirement for publishing?

This would be the answer, but I wanna look deeper.
Would parents get some of the funds? What do parents have to sign?
etc. I wanna know everything.

• We accept work from authors under the age of 18 for Choice of Games. This requires a parent or guardian to be a signatory to your contract.

Assuming I’m understanding your question correctly…

We accept work from authors under the age of 18 for Hosted Games. This requires a parent or guardian to be a signatory to your contract.

1 Like

For legal and tax reasons, your parents would need to sign off on it. I’d assume they’d get paid, then pay you. You’d need to contact COG for more details but I can’t see how they’d pay a minor without a tax file number

2 Likes

I worked several part-time jobs before I was 18 and the legal/tax stuff was complex around that. I used my own social security number and filled out the same forms as an adult, deposited my paychecks into my checking account which my parents set up and controlled, but since my parents also claimed me as a dependent on THEIR taxes, they needed to know what I was making and I couldn’t make too much or it would spoil their whole game (I didn’t have a super happy teenage life, let’s just put it that way).

Royalties are like at least 5x more difficult to file taxes for in the US, speaking from personal experience. The complexity jumps quite a bit! So if you’re under 18 and/or your parents claim you as a dependent, you earning royalties and not just regular wages, it’ll be a job for an accountant.

That and from what I understand, contracts with minors aren’t legally valid unless signed by a legal guardian or the rare case of legal emancipation or something.

6 Likes

Thank you all, but finally I was wondering. If I was ever to publish could I put it on my college applications?

1 Like

It would be worth checking with your teacher / careers guidance person but it certainly seems like something a college would be interested in hearing about, especially if you were applying to do something writing or games related.

5 Likes