Ironheart - Discussion Thread

@Tristan_Fenton Nice! I didn’t want to have a dream or even a return to the future as an ending because some players might feel cheated by that but if it helps you work things out with Viv then you may consider it canon! :wink:

@Dominic Those stats are very useful - I should really have done the maths for that myself! Also, eek! That is indeed a rogue exclamtion mark, will fix it right away.

2 Likes

Few more little things. While I honestly find the obligatory asexuality choices at the beginning of these things a bit ridiculous, they might as well be consistent if they’re chosen, and the choice to be attracted to your steward in chapter 6 appears even if you’ve decided you’re above all that, unlike other attraction moments that get skipped over. Lines 510-524.

Also - this is an extraordinarily unlikely set of circumstances to occur naturally, but you’ve left two possibilities unaccounted for in the epilogue’s description of your fief. These are a Papal-oriented fief with mostly Muslims, or vice versa, a Caliphate-oriented fief with mostly Christians. I found that in order to actually make it happen, you have to build the ‘wrong’ religious building at the very first opportunity, but if you do so, you get something along the lines of:

You receive word from Tebnine that the fief is prospering, with a growing reputation as a Your hospital is renowned throughout the land

The way the scene is coded means the relevant lines are all over the place; seems like a situation that would call for a gosub, really.

Finally, there’s a simple typo in the scene where you successfully cryosleep back to the 21st century.

Welcome to the twenty-first century!"

You looks puzzled when she sees you smile. You don’t tell her that you’ve been here before.

Presumably, that’s meant to be “She looks puzzled.” Line 2745 in the epilogue.

edit: Oh, and while I see you patched up the oddity of the templars asking a muslim lord to remove all muslim leaders, the mirror image situation still remains of the muslim hardliners asking you to remove all christians from positions of leadership, even while you yourself are christian. Chapter 6, starting around line 2205

1 Like

Thanks! Will take a look at those. The coding in the last couple of chapters is a bit, um, idiosyncratic… :smiley:

@Wiwyums this concept is what I imagine ironheart 2 could be about !i hope you like it!
concept for ironheart 2:
A character that comes from the original line of the mc (in the first game) finds out about the disappearance of the characters from the first game so he investigates and finds that they disappeared through a wormhole so the scientist develops a technology to rescue them but in the process something went wrong so he is transported to the united states before christ and his goal may be to be the roman emperor or lay modern foundations in europe and in the process modernize europe and the whole world to the point of having a 21st century before christ

3 Likes

Surely that means if the MC’s old world isn’t erased by theirs and Viv’s presence and alterations in the past their in an entirely different reality now? So the scientist would need a wormhole and reality portal? Cool idea though, but how would they get to Europe from America in any year BC?

@Tristan_Fenton if he is a scientist he could surely build a rudimentary boat and if he is fan of history he could have the option of building a roman boat for example
and if you have seen dragon ball z you know that in the same reality there are several timelines so the timeline of the mc of the first game would be inaccessible

Would he recruit natives to help? Also scientist doesn’t equal ship builder or woodworker. Sorry

1 Like

@Tristan_Fenton Yes, but suppose that the scientist has various skills such as ex: construction, languages, intelligence, strength etc. Then he would know how to build the boats and use his knowledge of history and languages to ask the natives to help him build the boat.

1 Like

Yes that would work for sure!

1 Like

That’s a cool idea - it never occurred to me that anyone might try to rescue them…

When I first started writing, I did at one point have a broader plan which involved one crew member landing in the Americas, one in the Middle east and one in China, but it was a bit ambitious for one story.

3 Likes

So would a sequel to this game be set in the future of the new alternated earth? With history books teaching the epic tales of the Caliphates Sorceress and her equally strange student? Haha

2 Likes

@Wiwyums yes I like this game and I think it has great potential and I think that if a sequel comes out the section that has to be touched more is that of technological inventions since in the first game it was practically not touched

2 Likes

I must admit that I’d originally planned for much more of that sort of thing but shied away from it once I realised how much extra work it would create… Once I started allowing the player to build smaller vehicles, firearms etc it became obvious that the later chapters were going to get very messy, even without the introduction of big game-changers like computers, radio communication etc.

Instead, I settled for allowing the player to write everything down and leave a hint at the game’s end that they’ll have the opportunity to do more in the future. It would have been fun to speculate a bit more though!

4 Likes

Hey can I get a guide for sana romance

1 Like

There’s a post above which covers all the ROs, here: Ironheart - Discussion Thread

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I discover a webserie that talk about Time Travel.
I link the third Season. It’s best to begin by the first, but it’s like dr who. Season 1 can be very kitch.

1 Like

Thanks! Will check that out.

1 Like

Hi i wanted to tell you that i really loved the game, in fact this was one of the few stories which made feel really sad at the end so i think you did a good job, and i am looking forward to your next game.
But i wanted to ask how did Viv feel about the MC throughout the game, did she still love him in way? Or did she just move on eventually and end up just being good friends with the MC? Or a mix of both?
Because i thought she moved after being alone for so long , but during the game she was so affectionate towards the MC, and made kinda me fell bad about all years I missed with her.
I had some ideas but wanted to hear it from you.

And also i was curious what role did Malik play in Sena’s life? I mean he was her Father but they barely mention each other throughout
The game, in fact Sena seems the complete opposite of who he is, i never saw a moment where they spoke to each other, it was either Viv and Malik or Viv and Sena.

And Finally how did Sena came to love the MC, i know in order to gain her trust and become her lover you had to be a bloodthirsty Kind of guy, but she seemed to have been falling in love with him even before they spoke to each other, and how did she feel about MC being her Mother previous lover?
I thought was such coincidence the fact the Mother fell in love with the MC and then the Daughter.

(Im sorry for my bad grammar and asking so many questions but i thought there was some questions still left unanswered)

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, and especial thanks for thinking so much about the game and the relationships between characters. Having spent so long in their company, it really means a lot to know they have gone out into the world and affected other people too!

I purposely left a lot of blanks concerning how the main characters felt about one another, especially Viv and Sana, who both have reasons for keeping their cards close to their chests, but I’ll happily explain what I had in mind for them as I wrote.

Viv always had an intimate bond with the player. Even if you weren’t in a relationship with her, she was introduced as a very close friend in the first chapter. If you were in a relationship, then it’s implied that she was very much in love with you. It was perhaps a little mean, but I’ll confess that I really wanted that emotional punch of meeting her again when the years had distanced you and removed any chance of being together. So it’s intentionally bittersweet - yes, she adores you but to her you’re a romantic echo from the past, a reminder of the days when she was young and carefree. She does love you but she also loves Malik, with whom she has built a life, raised a family and shared decades of joys and sorrows.

Malik himself is a favourite of mine, even though I didn’t end up giving him that much time in the game. He’s a thoughtful and quietly principled man who accepts a marriage to Viv (that he initially doesn’t want) solely to protect her and refuses to take advantage of her position even as he finds himself falling in love with her. He is prepared to listen to her and to believe her, then to transcend the views of his time and defer to her.

I wish now that I’d spent some time outlining the relationship between Malik and Sana - that’s really an excellent point - but the fact they don’t mention one another is also telling of the way I saw their relationship. When Sana was taken and essentially brainwashed by the Old Man of the Mountain, Malik devoted everything he had to getting her back (as Viv will tell you in at least some possible routes) and it’s implied that he blames himself for not having managed to do it sooner. Alongside his guilt, I also felt that a part of Sana did blame him for the same reason…

So there’s an unspoken shame between them. There’s also, now, a gulf in their views of the world. Malik values peace at all costs whereas Sana believes that only violence has the power to force change. I think that’s why I didn’t have them speak much to one another - sad as it is, I felt they had little more to say…

When you first meet Sana in the game, she’s horribly broken. She’s been conditioned to kill and has killed. She’s been lied to and betrayed so much that she’s no longer prepared to trust or like anyone. But… she feels differently about you. When she was a young girl, her mother told her stories about you. You were the astronaut, the true friend, an almost legendary figure from an impossible world. So, you’re her way back to the values of her childhood. Beneath the hurt and the ferocity, she’s a caring and genuine person, just as her mother hoped she would be, but she can’t get there on her own. As for how she feels about you having dated her mother, to my mind that was never really weird for her in the way it was for Viv - she’s too intensely practical for considerations like that.

Hope that helps to answer at least some of your questions. Thanks again for asking them!

(BTW new game is already underway here: https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/bitten-now-with-actual-synopsis)

6 Likes

Thank you very much for answering my questions , it cleared so much for me, but what you told Me it also made me think about Viv’s life.
She said she had a happy life and i’m sure it was, but maybe she was trying too hard to be happy to the point she became denial of the problems and dangers around her , using her knowledge of the future to make her life more easy , trying to create a some sort of perfect life but without thinking she was putting the people she loved in danger , its probably how Rashid was able to kidnap her Sana,
At the end Viv had a happy life but her Daughter was suffering ( well unless you romance her of course).
You said that Malik And Sana weren’t going along to each other but Viv doesn’t do really much about it through out the story , and if you betray her she will not believe you she just thinks you’re secretly helping her
Is that how she lived her life just thinking everything is going to be fine ?
What are your thoughts on this? I might be wrong, but she was so focused on making a peace ( which wouldn’t have lasted very long) that she forgot that her own Daughter was going through a hard time and her husband was feeling guilty about what happened to her and many people were suffering and dying while she lived in a rich castle.
Maybe she tried something , but if she could make a peace summit i’m sure there was a chance to solve those other problems as well.

1 Like