Interest Check Thread

I have to agree that Star Wars is not science fiction. It is fantasy that happens to take place in space. There is literal magic in the Force, but all the technology is basically magic too. No substantial thought is given to how it actually works, and honestly, that is fine. The story just isn’t about that.

In what I would call sci-fi, I expect part of the work to be devoted to at least creating the illusion that the extraordinary aspects of the setting could be believably consistent with the laws of our own universe and what we observe in it, and that the events of the story are at least in part actually about those extraordinary yet consistent deviations. It can’t just be fiction with a veneer of ‘science’, it has to be fiction making an actual effort to seem scientific and logical and involving the scientific and logical implications of its extraordinary elements in the events of the story.

2 Likes

You ARE aware that White Walkers are human-sized, right? That’s not a giant. There are ACTUAL giants in GoT. They’re… well, very big. Because that’s a sine qua non to be a giant.

@FabricSeat This. Like, Blade Runner isn’t “golems in space”, and if it were, it wouldn’t be sci-fi.

1 Like

Lol. I know. I’m just saying, take away the height difference and they are basically the same. I dont want to argue this point because i kinda get very anxious whenever i feel like I’m getting into one. My childhood wasnt a very pleasant one so i used to try to find escapes from reality. So i took up reading about anything (my favourite subject was myths) and getting into movies. So, i don’t know why but i feel like i should apologise. I dont want to argue about this (because i feel like you’re a friend and i dont have many of those because of my anxiety) but, as i said before, it feels like it is becoming one.

4 Likes

I also don’t know why, because I don’t feel you have anything to apologise for. :slight_smile:

In case you’re not familiar with the modern conception of wights, here’s one:

Why do I say “a modern conception”? Well, because the original meaning of wight was “a human”. And now you know why the Isle of Wight isn’t populated by undead monstrosities. I mean, it MIGHT be, I’ve never been. It probably isn’t, though. Maybe.

Well, you ARE a spectral vampire (also, what are the odds of THIS coincidence?)

We can’t go two topics without somebody mentioning Wayhaven (still not making it a drinking game) and “more vampire romance” is a common request on the forums. I refuse to believe I’m the first person you’ve run into that’s familiar with Interview with a Vampire.

2 Likes

That must mean I’m a monstrosity because i was born on Isle of Wight :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lol. Don’t ask me, never very good at determining the odds of something. But as I’ve told you before, i live in Wales now (since 95)

3 Likes

You’re the first person to actually understand my username. And by the look of it, understand where its from.

2 Likes

How do you know that mythical creatures were not of other planets? :smiling_imp::joy_cat::smirk_cat: I’m not saying that they are or not, but noneof us know for sure and there are no set rules here…

3 Likes

Anything is possible :rofl::thinking:

2 Likes

You… do know that Marvel isn’t a reliable source on myths, yes?

1 Like

I don’t think they’re saying that.

3 Likes

Marvel is PARTICULARLY bad at Norse myths, what with a blonde, beardless Thor and Loki being Odin’s adoptive son, just off the top of my head.

4 Likes

I do know. I was just mentioning them as a visual reference.

Most stories have a base of mythology to them.

3 Likes

Which isn’t at all what Jötnar look like in tradition… a human-sized Jötun would just look like a human. (And they’re not all giants by size, either.)

(Caveat: old traditions are hardly a monolith, so I obviously can’t be sure some versions wouldn’t look like snowmen.)

2 Likes

Why don’t you all bring this Convo to another thread?

11 Likes

I’m sorry. I didnt mean for this conversation to go this far so i apologise to everyone for continuing it. I will drop it now.

5 Likes

You’re right. In fact, in my country a literary proposal called Scientific Fantasy was exhibited in which some “magical” phenomena take place in a modern world where the protagonist can perform a type of magic that in the end discovers how this “magic” of his works and it is nothing more than alteration of atoms and cells under his own will thanks to the fact that he is a scientist.

He is facing a dragon that can do the same thing and is nothing more than a sleeping link of intelligent evolution that wants to destroy humanity to save what this dragon calls “Mother Earth”.

In addition, this modern world is also the product of an alternate universe where America developed technologically like Wakanda thanks to the gift of knowledge that the antagonist’s father dragon gave them and later there were interactions with the world from the voyages of Columbus

1 Like

Well, many stories or products of culture are inspired by other things that the history, culture and experience of the creators in their lifetime can offer us. For example Tolkien was inspired by his experiences in the trenches to write well the feelings of being in a war where you can be killed at any moment. This war is fantastic but the feeling is the same. Or again the notion of dogs as guardians I can attribute mainly to Cerberus as well as other animals with attributes.

2 Likes

Bit of a weird question, but would anyone be interested in a pokemon esque IF? It would be like the traditional pokemon games wherein you catch pokemon and battle trainers with my own twist and an intricate story.

12 Likes

Do you mean that it would be Pokemon fanfiction or original fiction with a similar premise to Pokemon?

1 Like

yes Please!

1 Like