Interest Check Thread

Trapped in a video game fantasy world. Sign me up. I look forward to the demo

1 Like

A game about raising up a pirate crew with a system like Zombie Exodus would be cool.

Hi all! Iā€™m a long time lurker here and Iā€™ve decided to throw my idea into the ring and see what you all think about it. Basically itā€™s set in a grounded fantasy world with similarities to our own Earth and with a technological rating mix ranging from medieval to industrial magi-tech. My idea centres around playing as a young Royal who is suddenly and unexpectedly thrust into the spotlight of becoming the next Monarch of the Empire.

Overview
Welcome to the lands of Tamron, an ecologically varied continent home to cultures ancient and new. A land where the mystical meets the technologicalā€”and all things are chewed up and spat out by the overburdened Empire which has come to politically dominate these lands. Generations have passed since the Empire was led by real warriors who led their armies on the battlefield and expanded their domain by cunning and might. Instead of ruling with absolute impunity the Monarchs of the Empire are now little more than figureheads and are at the mercy of the politics of the Imperial Parliament, which increasingly has come to control almost every aspect of the Empire. Comprised mostly of entrenched nobles, Parliament unfortunately rarely has anything but their own interests in mind and factionalism comes before public service. Just before the story begins a tragedy befalls the Imperial Family which leaves the Imperial Throne in the hands of a seventeen-year-old royal, still too young to assume the throne, a regency is declared. Enter you, this future Monarch of the Empire who is destined to decide the fates of millions, provided you can of course navigate your way to survival and power among the nest of vipers that Parliament has become.

Features
ā€¢ Play as male, female, or non-binary
ā€¢ Engage in trysts, flings or meaningful romance among a robust cast of characters, of which includes; your childhood friend and fellow ward, a down-on-their-luck noble who happened to be your brotherā€™s former lover, an ambitious yet genuine young Queen, an overbearing intelligence agent who despises the nobility, or even find love with your very own personal valet/lady-in-waitingā€¦ and more!
ā€¢ Play out four years of your life as you start as the Royal unexpected for the throne, and rise up to one day become Monarch, or abdicate the throne to your younger sister and serve at her side
ā€¢ Use intrigue and plotting to overcome Parliament, or simply remain uncaring and let yourself be used by the various factions for their own gain
ā€¢ Side with various factions in Parliament such as the entrenched nobles, the reformers, the techno-radicals, or try to seize the title of Grand Minister for yourself
ā€¢ Wage war across your own Empire as you put down rebelling factions, or use your charm and diplomacy and allow peace a chance to prevail
ā€¢ Your edicts as Monarch will influence the prosperity and progress of the Empire; and gain the love or resentment of the nobles, the military, and the citizenry
ā€¢ Four different branching ending chapters based on how you decide to rule the Empire
ā€¢ Your actions will determine the fates of millions of your subjects

Curious to see if you think this idea has potential/interesting, and happy to hear your feedback on it!

37 Likes

I think itā€™s really interesting. I think there is a lot of potential demand for this game as there are people like me in this forum who are looking for a political game.

1 Like

Yes, yes and yes again. I donā€™t know about anyone else but if you go through with this i will certainly be there to follow it from the start.

1 Like

this sounds really interesting, but im a bit bothered with the nb characters. do they all have to be non human? alien/robot being the nb feel very stereotypical

Thatā€™s fair! I was thinking of adding in one more character, so that might be a good place to start. Specifically Iā€™m looking to make an antagonist character thatā€™s sympathetic and understandable but still very obviously working against your interests.

Might be a broker or a trader, someone who would benefit from widespread conflict. Maybe an AFTA spaceship manufacturer. With the ansibles, people donā€™t need to travel and are content to stay in one place, but with wider conflict in the galaxy, relocation becomes a necessity rather than a luxury.

Alex Formic (nb, 60) is a charming, semi-retired businessperson who runs a space-based auto manufacturing company. They were pulled out of retirement to supply surface-to-space shuttles when Crescent worlders needed to evacuate to make way for an AFTA mining operation, and under their leadership the company suddenly surged in market share. Alex realized that they were getting complacent and that the complacency was galaxy-wide: humans were content to just rest on their laurels rather than explore the galaxy further and improve their lives. They want to light a fire under the galaxyā€™s ass. Yes, that means conflict, but it also means opportunity. Not just for them. For everyone.

6 Likes

alex seems like a very intriguing character.in that case, good luck on your wip ^^

1 Like

Thatā€¦ :cold_sweat: Um hello. Forgive me if what I am going to write is all over the place. Honestly I am not one for, speaking/writing publicly. But I really wanted to try my hand at this. Iā€™ve been apart of this community for three years I think? But Iā€™ve always loved reading the amazing contents thatā€™s posted here. This is probably too long for most to read but I just have to say that Iā€™ve always been a person who loves writing and reading. Honestly it was an escape from realityā€¦ Iā€™ve been writing for years but due to a few mishaps in the past, I lost all confidence in posting, things that Iā€™ve written. My sister has always told me that I have a knack for it but, when one starts to lose the love they have for something itā€™s just hard for them to fall back into place. (If that even makes any sense. Iā€™m babbling I know.)

Basically, I wanted to try my hand, at writing againā€¦ Wanted to see if I still had a knack for it. I donā€™t know how to code but, I believe that I can figure it out soon enoughā€¦ Aiya most of what I wrote doesnt really make much sense.

So hereā€™s my shot. Oh yesā€¦ Mostly Iā€™m going with transmigrationā€¦ Always loved those books wanted to try my hand at that.

You transmigrated into a badly written palace intrigued novel, as a brain dead Cannon fodder whoā€™s only purpose in the story is a stepping stone.

You donā€™t know how you ended up here. Or why you were even sent here! (I suck at writing synopsis :cry:)

Will you destroy the story line or keep it on track all for the sake of going home?

*Will you obediently wait until your wedding day or will you wreck havoc in the royal court? *

What will you do to stop your imminent death? Will you bargain with the devil himself or will you fight your own battles?

**3 ROs *
The devil
The royal advisor
And the man who killed the original owner in the original timelineā€¦

Iā€™m taking it one step at a timeā€¦ Currently I am doing the female version for chapter one then Iā€™ll do the male versionā€¦ Hopefully I do this right.

Iā€™ll give you a little peek at chapter one seeing as the synopsis is lacking.

"This isā€¦ Where am I? You wondered as you tried to collect yourself. A few minutes ago you were just about to leave the office when a blast went of some sort went offā€¦ And thenā€¦ Nothing. Everything just went black. And now youā€™re standing in a banquet hall or wherever the hell this is with hundreds of people staring you, looming over a pitiful lady who was drenched from head to toe.

Your eyes twitched as cold sweat drenched your back. From what youā€™ve gathered youā€™re most certainly deadā€¦ And in hell. Youā€™re not surprised at that, youā€™ve done alot of bad shit in your life to enter heavens doorā€¦

Itā€™s a rough draftā€¦ So thatā€™s my beginning. I didnā€™t want to use the waking up in bed scenario because most people say that itā€™s overused in booksā€¦

20 Likes

Hello, lurker. :wave:

This is the CoG forum. Unless youā€™re about to type The Lord of the Rings or something, Iā€™m gonna bet itā€™s not too long for anyone. :wink:

Oh no. :frowning_face:

Yessssssssss.

Youā€™re not the only one. If something isnā€™t integral to the actual story, why is it in the story? If it IS integral to the story, how do you take it out and still have a representative synopsis? Itā€™s madness. MADNESS, I TELL YOU! (and they call me mad. ME! But Iā€™ll show them, Iā€™ll show them AAAALLLLLLLLL!!!)

I actually like this, especially if you know how the story is supposed to go.

Psst.

Psssssssst.

Come here.

Iā€™m gonna tell you a secret.

looks left
looks right

Were you followed?

Are you sure?

Ok, then, hereā€™s the secret:

Everything is overused in stories. Peope who think otherwise havenā€™t exposed themselves (no, not like that) to enough fiction. Thereā€™s only like 10 actually different stories total, and Iā€™m probably being generous.

The big difference between ā€œwaking up in bedā€ or ā€œcongratulations, youā€™re in middle of stuff and have no clue what the hell is going onā€ isnā€™t overuse, itā€™s pacing and tone. ā€œWaking up in bedā€ gives the character more time to prepare and acclimate, and makes for a calmer start than ā€œlook at all these people youā€™ve never seen who are waiting for you to do something that you have no clue whatā€*. Both starts are completely valid. Pick the one that matches the tone that you want to impart to the situation.

*this is the literary equivalent of starting a DnD campaign with ā€œeverybody, roll for initiativeā€

13 Likes

Thank you for that. I think I needed it in some way. :cry:. Even though my sister, hypes me upā€¦ I still doubt myself because sheā€™s my older sister, sheā€™s probably saying all those things because she doesnā€™t want to hurt my feelings.

But now, itā€™s amazing people like yourself who makes me feel a tad bit more confident and believe that I can actually do it. The story might be cliche to some butā€¦ Iā€™m sure that thereā€™ll be people whoā€™ll genuinely like my writing.

But I am in a better space now. Honestly I posted that topic and after getting a respondā€¦ I checked this thread out. I hesitated for so long until I just gave in. I posted it and tossed my phone far. Rightā€¦ I was getting anxious. So I decided not to come back until my reply is lost beneath another personā€™s WIP but when I came in I saw your replyā€¦ And it made me feel betterā€¦

I read such well thought out contents that sometimes, I just feel even more depressed because I am so hung up on what I just read from those other authorsā€¦ So I doubt myself even more. Hahaā€¦ And as you can see my description skills are horrible as well!

And I donā€™t think youā€™re mad. Youā€™re awesome! So yes you should show them all! Iā€™ll be rooting for you if that helps.

P.S. I might just write over the beginning! :yum::blush:

6 Likes

being transferred to a badly written palace intrigued novel sounds like a blast, minus the someone trying to kill you of course. i really like what you got here. is the man that is going to kill the mc their soon to be murderous spouse? also, fuck yea. im ready to kick ass and not let anyone walk over me.

i do understand the feeling of losing the love they have for their fav hobby. i remember back then, i used to be part of journalism club and when i went to high school, i found out there is someone out there who does better and actually finishes their work. it certainly brought my mood down to the point that i stopper writing for a year. i guess my advice is that, write for yourself. you are your own biggest critic. if youā€™re satisfied and happy with what youā€™ve written then thatā€™s good enough. prioritize your happiness over your work over other peopleā€™s cause those people are just along for the ride.

3 Likes

Yes. They are. This might be a bit of a spoilerā€¦ But Iā€™ll share it. When theyā€™re going to ascend the throne, theyā€™ll need to reinstate someone as their second half. Seeing as the marriage contract was against their will, they thought that the only way to be with their lover (the protagonist of the world) was if they discarded the OH (original host).

Also thank you. It is good to know that it is okay to write for myself. Youā€™re awesome! :blush:

4 Likes

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a medieval fantasy type based setting, called The Gemini Twins. I havenā€™t planned very much yet, but the basic concept so far is medieval, but magic and fantasy races also exist.

My story focuses on a kingdom capital, and 5 romanceable characters; a stoic human paladin, a flirtatious elf ranger, a kind and beautiful siren sorcerer, a badass half-elf, and one of the Gemini twins (the good one), or just friends if you so choose not to romance anyone. This country, and especially the capital, worship the sun god, Solaris, and the goddess of the two moons, named Gemini. Twins born on the night of the moons being both waxing and waning are revered and said to be descendants of the moons goddess (hence the name Gemini twins), they are worshipped, especially considering that theyā€™re royalty, their parent being the ruler of this country. Your role for the longest time was being the bodyguard to one of the twins at the castle. Life is good until you accidentally uncover treachery by the other twin, they belong on the throne, they believe itā€™s rightfully theirs and no one elseā€™s, so naturally, they commit patricide, frame you and the other Gemini twin, and take the throne to rule as they see fit.

Progressively you meet the other characters, try to clear your names, and restore your reputation while setting things right.

So would anyone be interested? :slight_smile:

27 Likes

Hi all,

Iā€™m working on learning ChoiceScript right now and wanted to work on a nation-sim with the working title In the Oval. The premise is pretty straightforward: youā€™ve just been elected President of the United States and have to deal with all the trouble that comes with it. Iā€™m about 1500 words in, not including commands, and have a bit planned before I want to release a demo:

• Ability to manage relations with several groups; interest groups, party leadership, family, etc.
  • Have these relations manage certain events throughout your first term as President including whether or not you can pass legislation, potential impeachment if corruption gets too high or approval too low
  • A re-election campaign with basic polls, campaign fundraising, etc.
  • A detailed epilogue based on how your Presidency is viewed a few years on and how your relationships played out in the end

While I just made my account on the Forum today, Iā€™ve been lurking and have seen some other attempts to create a nation-sim in the past that have failed so Iā€™m open to suggestions!

14 Likes

This place has stories with dragons and monsters and this is STILL the most unrealistic thing Iā€™ve seen in it.

5 Likes

I feel like Iā€™ve heard about this game before already lol defintly wish you luck though.:smiley:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

So this is an idea Iā€™ve been kicking around for about a year and just wanted to see what people thought. Itā€™s essentially a (soft) sci-fi/fantasy setting, where the player character has just come out of stasis to find that they are the last living human in the galaxy, long after the fall of some ancient human civilization.

I have a plot line vaguely planned out, but no solid character ideas yet, except for kind of archaeologist character who is an ā€˜expertā€™ on humans but gets everything wrong.

Sorry if there arenā€™t too many details to work with here, but Iā€™m happy to hear any feedback.

16 Likes

This looks very interesting

My first WIP has been going well and an idea for another one came to mind. I donā€™t plan on working on it for now, but Iā€™m curious to see what others think of it.

Unlike my current game where youā€™re genderlocked to female, this game lets you select your gender and pronouns. Now working as a journalist in your quiet hometown, youā€™ve hit a point where you have lost inspiration to write. It is then you remember that ever since an accident in your teen years, you have had the ability to see and communicate to the dead. So as a last resort, and out of desperation, you start making the most out of this ability to gather material for your next articles. But as you delve even further into this new world youā€™ve learned to ignore for years, you start to learn that perhaps there is something dark and sinister your town is hiding.

Other than that, Iā€™ve also loved the possibility of setting this game in a fictional town somewhere in the Philippines, or even just the capital, and including supernatural creatures from its mythology into the mix. Honestly, Iā€™d like to see more games that take place somewhere I know and love dearly!

8 Likes