Interest Check Thread

Thank you! I’m planning on posting a demo (after finding out how to do that :confused:) when there’s enough gameplay.

2 Likes

Well I really enjoyed the demo, keep up the great work

1 Like

Thanks! Let me know which method of immortality you landed on and how you felt about your character! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have more info on this, for those who are interested.

About the setting:

Kingdom of Koth

Koth is bracketed between its two neighbors, and has therefore the longest borders and the most militant history. More recently, it was ruled by a more peaceful monarch, King Iral. His diplomatic bent could not protect him from a usurper who stole his throne and slaughtered or imprisoned his family. Currently it is ruled by said usurper, King Orust.

About the character conflict:

The Usurper King

You can barely contain a sigh. As you predicted, the letter’s main subject is a common bone of contention between you two. For as long as you can remember, he has been shrewd, ruthless, iron-hearted and willing to pursue his ambitions at any cost. Without these traits, he explained to you, he would never have become King of Koth.

[…]

You’re deep in thought as you walk through the palace grounds. The conflict between your father and yourself has been simmering for years, but now that you’re back in the capital, it seems ready to boil over. For now, the King is still away from the palace, dealing with pockets of dissidents or border disputes or some other excuse for his typical bellicosity.

When he returns, a clash between you two is inevitable.

Your father’s kingdom has never been under greater threat. A threat against the King is a threat against you, the Prince/Princess/Princep. In theory, anyway.

About the main plot:

The lost heir of Koth

You contact your agent every so often and ask for an update on the goings-on beneath the city’s simmering surface. Every so often, they contact you first, usually with news of an unusual development, or some bit of intrigue. Their messages are always worth receiving, so when a passing maid slips you a folded note marked with their secret sign, you hurry to the appointed meeting place.

[…]

“It was always only a matter of time,” says Sheyer. “They’re back, at last. The last heir of the Kidia line, accompanied by the last of old King Iral’s loyalists.”

Other gamier details:

Summary
  • MC gender choice, male/female/nonbinary.
  • MC skills, physical, mental and social.
  • MC personality: ruthless, manipulative, noble or compromising (just to start).
  • MC sexuality? Probably?
  • Likely to be romance-light, if at all.
  • The “heir” character is also somewhat customizable.
  • Main routes would be either to kill the secret heir or to ally with them.
  • Either way the MC is a “turncoat” in someone’s eyes.
  • Murder.
  • Aiming for the low end of what’s permissible for a HG, so 30-ish thousand words, but time will tell.
12 Likes

I am assuming that the ending is going to depend on MC personality: ruthless, manipulative, noble or compromising. How much do you plan to change the plot for each of these roads? It should probably be some differences, so that the ending with father-death makes sense. However, that would mean more writing. What happens if the player goes for 50/50 in the personality stats or don’t focus on a specific path?

1 Like

The opposite, actually. Route selection is explicitly done by the player, and it would affect personality stats directly and indirectly. I may choose to track radical changes to personality stats separately, to give the player an idea of their character’s overall journey. I’m still considering this.

But I have read a number of different threads on personality stats (notably this one), and I see that people feel limited by personality meters that determine what choices are available to them. So I decided that I would stick to a strict inversion of this, where the player’s choices are open and choices are reflected in the stats, rather than the opposite. To be clear, this applies to the opposite-pairs personality variables, so there will still be checks on skills and relationships.

I’m still working on figuring out the possible end-states of the game, but most of them would involve the usurper king being dead.

6 Likes

I chose the sheer skill path, and the character seems fine, it would be cool to see a bit more history about him.

1 Like

I want to fulfill the needs of a genre that doesn’t have many quality games: sports. Besides titles such as The Fielder’s Choice and Slammed, I can’t find any sports games past the demo stage at most. I love almost all sports and I’d love to make a game or at least try coming up with a demo. What sport do you think would make for a really good story? Individual or team, contact or non-contact? Please let me know if you have an idea, or you’re interested in helping me!

3 Likes

This:

www.crunchyroll.com/megalobox

1 Like

A tennis game would be interesting to see as a interactive fiction game. I know tennis isn’t all that interesting but than again baseball really isn’t either and it worked as a interactive fiction game.I don’t really watch tennis but from what i played and watched, tennis can either be doubled team(two people on the same side) or individually but Most interactive fiction games usually have social interaction in them so,i think tennis would fail at that. So, it really depends on what kind of sports game your trying to create, if your looking for something with more social interaction with rivals and love interests its probably best to go with something like football(soccer) or american football. It all depends on what you feel like doing. Sorry for the long comment.

1 Like

Ehh, I don’t really like sports outside a few. I’d say boxing or basketball, but do you know what would be exciting? Car racing. :red_car: It doesn’t have to be professional, street racing has a certain appeal too and I’m a bit surprised there aren’t any stories about that here yet. Unless you don’t consider it a sport.

It’s also pretty ripe for romances and rivalries and stuff like that. Plus you can have car chases. Who doesn’t like that?

2 Likes

Something sort of camp in the tone of Speed Racer could be fun, regardless of the sport being motorsports or not

3 Likes

SLAMMED! was good…even if I didnt understand squat about the whole movement/attack stuff :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hum…for me , I would like to see something about Kick Boxing . cose it jsut an amazing sport XD (Ladies kicking…Woooo…them Abs…ahem)

Sumo…cose…come now…SUMOOOOOOOOO…

Underworld Fighting…cose…that sound like it would be dirty , dangerous and fun .

Chess competition! cose NERD RULEZ! nuff said…

9 Likes

It felt a bit out of character, like oh no you got cought! What are you gonna do now? But then it’s revealed that that was your plan all along which was weird. I’d say that you should make it clear that you intend to get cought. And also when you choose power I don’t get what you were cought doing.

2 Likes

I would love for someone to make a football game (actual one, not the rugby americans call football). Going from a kid in the streets to the next messi or ronaldo, would be wonderful.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the prolog and look forward to reading more of this story!

1 Like

After the completion of my current WIP, I plan to convert a short story that I wrote several years ago into IF. It is titled ‘Immaculate Decay’. The plot centers on a female serial killer who feels romantic love towards the concept of death. It is an introspective drama set in the real world. Many details in the story are quite graphic. Would anyone be interested in a story of this nature?

7 Likes

MEEE! though just curious would it be genderlocked? nothing wrong just wanted to know :slight_smile: also i loooveee introspective sort of narratives especially with strange and unique type of protag!

2 Likes

This iteration would indeed be genderlocked to female. I understand that this may cause issues for some, nevertheless, it is the route I have chosen.

3 Likes

Cool! thanks for the heads up and would definitely love to read it when u get the chance :smiley:

3 Likes