Interest Check Thread

Hello there! I’m Fernando, aka Ferddai

I’m new at this story-making thing, but I wanted to know if someone will play this (even just one person barely interested would work for me) or if I should burn it all in the flames of oblivion and go back to playing Minecraft… So here goes nothing…

Scarlet Lords is a high-fantasy interactive fiction series currently being written by Fernando Bethencourt that takes place in the fictional universe of Merlya, specifically in the Scarlet Citadel, the nest of (arrogant) nobles (with funny-sounding titles like “klinkoolper” before their first names) located right at the center of the coldest and most unforgiving place of the whole Continent: Kazergo, capital city of the Kingdom of Bresden.

Your father has died, and you must take his place as one of the most powerful nobles in this side of the Fourbloods River: the Scarlet Warden.

But as easy as your life may look like, you know better than to get too comfortable. Specially after learning that your father was murdered, and that you could (and probably will) be the next target.

Will you uncover the secrets that lie inside the walls of the centuries-old Citadel? Will you learn the true motive behind your father’s assassination? Will you protect Queen Larissa at all costs, or will you join forces with those who conspirate against her? Will you survive the machinations of the other nobles? AND WILL YOU EVER LEARN WHY IS SO $&%*ING COLD AT NIGHT?!?!

All this while fighting (or supporting) the greatest revolution this country could ever face!

Love, intrigue, betrayal, mystery and much more await in my first and most ambitious IF project: SCARLET LORDS

FEATURES Note: an exclamation (!) sign at the end means that the feature is still being coded and tested appropriately. On the other side, an interrogation (?) sign means that the feature hasn't even been tested/isn't fully developed yet and may or may not appear in the final product.

Note 2: also, (!H) means that is under heavy development, (!VH) means under VERY heavy development, (E!) means early development, and (?A) means that while it isn’t tested nor coded in its entirety, it will most definitely appear in the ultimate version.

• Morale and Personality Traits (codename PETRA) system! Inspired by the Attunement in the Samurai of Hyuga book series. Be Ruthless or Merciful, Friendly or Hostile, Humble or Arrogant, Talkative or Quiet, Cold-hearted or Sensitive, Spontaneous or Planning, Playful or Serious… and even achieve the ultimate balance! - (!H)

• Pick-Yer-Heraldry system! Choose your House’s familiar, pick a nice color for them, then a matching background color and you’re done, mate! But don’t do just a pretty banner: your heraldry actually gives you ELEMENTAL powers! WHAAAAAAT?! (mInDFUcK!!) - (?A)

• Dummy AI! Yes, what you heard: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE!!! While you’re busy flirting with that good-looking bodyguard of yers, the revolutionaries and NPC factions will act differently based on your choices and the world around them! (Disclaimer: Don’t expect too much of this one if it’s implemented) - (?)

• Different House origins to choose from! Does your House hail from the sun-bathed coast of the Jolqamar Peninsula? Or are you the descendant of a settler from the extinct Kalandian Confederation? What about the opressive Ocassian Empire? Did your ancestor came from there? Each lineage gives bonuses to your attributes! Yay for balanced character creation! - (!VH)

• A (hopefully) extense and (hopefully × 2) well-developed world lore! The Merlyaverse has been a tiny little project of mine since mid-2020, but I’ve never been so sure about my creation before! It’s still a newborn (and I’m still a noob in this world-building thing), but this forum is the best place to let it free and receive that feedback I so desperately need!* - (E!)

• Yer Very Own Diary! Some sorta inter-dimensional wormhole where you can see what your character thinks of themselves, their acquaintances, the world, and… Well, that’s pretty much everything… But still! What if you could read/see what your character really thinks, instead of what YOU want them to think? - (?)

*Disclaimer: may contain plotholes.

MAIN PATHS Note: The same (!), (?) system is used here.
  • Unconditional Servant: Her Majesty’s word is holy to you, and while is true that some may call you a pelele, it is your duty as the Warden! Protect Bresden from traitors both within and without! Honor, Freedom and Motherland! - (E!)

• “Loyalty” Is Relative: Yes, you are the Warden… But you’re also ambitious. Use your cunning and your influence to undermine Larissa and her court. Take the Throne of Rubies for yourself! - (E!)

Note: These two paths are the ones I alreade have started writing and coding, but they’re not the only ones that will appear in the final product.

The story’s still in very early alpha stage, since it will be composed by three/four volumes, but I hope to have a demo of the first two chapters ready in, say, somewhere between late December 2021 and February 2022.

I’ll be happy to answer any questions about Scarlet Lords if I can!

40 Likes

You got to make the mc as a important commander on either sides if a war break out
(Please make the mc versatile in each skill since he is an heir to a powerful seat he should be prepared)

1 Like

Of course the MC will be versatile! One of my top priorities is to make a balanced skill system, and while you could still specialize on some specific abilities, one of the unspoken prerequisites for being a Warden is being well-versed in the political, academic and military fields. At the start, you’ll be given small bonuses to each attribute, and then some more as the story progresses.

Still, I won’t make the MC a super-cunning, super-strong, super-smart person. The game would be too easy, and that’s the opposite thing of what I want in a story about scheming and double-crosses

6 Likes

Interesting. Gives me some Captain America vibes which isn’t my favorite Marvel character but a game were we get to play the super soldier now that’s something I look forward to playing. I am curious to see if we’ll get to turn against those who cloned us or not?

Ooh. I love a good mystery. I’m looking forward to the demo

1 Like

Hi! I wanted to sound folks out on the idea of installment-based Interactive Fic / COG-style games.

We have “slice of life” TV shows like b99, Friends, Grey’s Anatomy etc. - has anyone ever done/been interested in doing something similar for IF/COG? i.e. The narrative is left semi-fluid and released / written a chunk at a time (rather than all at once, with a set ending?) Each chapter could even be semi-self contained (kinda like how Sherlock holmes was written and released in newspapers in discrete chunks, back in the day), held together with a loose plotline, setting, and cast of characters.

Of course, there’s games/omnibuses like “choices” or “episodes”, but is there scope to pursue this in a more legitimately branching narrative (not to diss “choices” for sure, but the narrative is pretty linear)? Or is there simply too much ambiguity to do branching narratives without knowing where exactly the story will lead? Can this be somewhat addressed via planning out the main plotpoints/branches for the narrative, and having certain global variables that pick up where the last semi-self-contained “chapter” left off?

Is it also an issue of the choice script engine and what CoG/HG is comfortable releasing? I mean I suppose installment-based IFs already exist on tumblr etc. using other scripts/platforms? Interested to know what you guys think!

[I still intend for my WIP (College Tennis: Origin Story (WIP))* to be largely “traditional” but it was just a thought that occured to me, since I could definitely see a game featuring life as a college student-athlete being quite open-ended in terms of what issues/themes/scenes to cover.
*no pressure at all to check it out btw, I’m asking this more generally and this is just for context as to where I’m coming from with this wild(?) question), and wanted to hear more thoughts on this format!

14 Likes

That is an interesting idea. I think it could be Made, If you make real episodes, where one Episode changes not that much for the main Storyline.

Lets assume you would make episodes, little archs and a Main storyline. So an episode could branch wildly, but the side stories and the main arches all have limited branching.
Since most of the side storys would Not affect the main story much the workload would be massive but doable. So the Main storyline would be the only one that should be planned from the beginning.

2 Likes

Yeahh exactly! An episodic IF/CoG that would operate in a large universe/world, with individual smaller nuggets/stories embedded within it.

Thanks for your reply and I’d be interested in working on something like this in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would be interested in reading that, but that project might be one where a team might work better, since the time between the episodes might be more important in that format as it is in a normal Game series like wayhaven.

1 Like

Totally agree!

And collaboration with different authors might also be easier/more fun in an episodic-format, without the assorted difficulties of working together on a normal project (where there’d need to be a lot more alignment). In an episode-based series, the fixed parameters / world /characters / storyline would provide the overall structure and continuity, but also allow for writers to work within that and really make each episode their own/give it their own spin :slight_smile: Sorta like guest directors and cross-overs on TV episodes!

3 Likes

This way the side storylines could even be mixed Up, so that the next episode is not far away. That sounds really interesting.

Even thinking about this is fun, since it is more slice of life I would prefer an additional genre Not only romance like friends. Some supernatural will create interest in many readers, but other things could work really Well too.

Like crime or horror themed storys or some strange TV Show where the cast is shipped to a survival place, or dystopian setting with gangs and stuff.

3 Likes

Will the mc have oppurtunities to prove that they are worthy to become the heir.(such as leading battles or investing)

Of all the ideas you suggested, this is my fav. I feel like non-zombie and non-apocalypse survival stories need more representation. And besides, something like Lost in ChoiceScript format would be very interesting to read.

3 Likes

Yes, but not quite.

You’re the Scarlet Warden, the most trusted advisor of the Queen herself. You don’t need to prove anything to anyone, and that means that you don’t need to prove yourself to be your father’s worthy heir.

You can totally abuse of your powers and become the most infamous scoundrel of the kingdom, ignoring completely what others think about you.

But having the title and influence to do whatever you please doesn’t mean that there will be no retaliation from other nobles, the Queen, the populace or all three at the same time, because they, too, have their influence. This route will likely end with your head rolling down the stairs of the Laurati Hall… Unless you’re cunning enough.

On the other side, if you decide to honor your father’s name and become a worthy heir of your House, you can absolutely do so. Rest assured that there will be many occasions where you’ll be given the chance to show the Queen and the Bresdian people that you deserve to be their Scarlet Warden.

Hmm… Now that I think of it, it’ll be nice to have a sort of middle ground here, too.

5 Likes

Hello everyone.I’m Bigby and i’m an aspiring IF writer.This is an idea of mine that’s been on my head for some months,and now I think it’s finally time to see if others would be interested in seeing the story brought to life as well!

I always remember myself ever since I was a little kid being fascinated by the time period of 1650-1730,also commonly known as the “Golden Age Of Piracy”…My fascination hasn’t faded a single bit up to this day.

With that being said, i think you can safely assume what my upcoming W.I.P is about…

Without further to do, i present to you “Chronicles of Narva”,a low-historical fantasy IF.(Working title).

Summary

You are a 16 year old from the fictional kingdom of Narva.A kingdom whose economy relies heavily from the sea.Be it hunting great sea monsters or terrorizing foreign merchant ships…

You live in the capital city,Crabridge,with your mom.The fate of your father depends on the background you shall choose.But you might be able to change that for better or worse later on :wink:.
As you are coming of age,it’s finally time to set out on your own and make your mark in this world.
Will you be a shiny beacon of hope and devote your life to cleaning the seas from piracy once and for all?..
Or will you thread in the dreadful path of becoming the most powerful pirate lord?..
Perhaps you will become a sailor and travel to the known and mysterious unknown,corners of the world?..
Or will you dare to tap into the arcane and try to achieve immortality for yourself?..

No matter what your journey will be,you will meet all sorts of characters in your travels…
Some of which you will be able to romance(both romantically and sexually) or not at all if that’s what you desire.

All the while,a storm is brewing on the horizon…One where a man is determined to reclaim what was forcefully taken away from him…No.matter.the.cost.

Their love shall bring us all to ruin.

I think this is the best I can do with a non-spoilery summary right now.Most things if not all, will become clear later on in the story.

Main Features

1.Choose your family background.Just like in real life, this will influence your starting skills and will open up several opportunities to you.For example will make it easier to romance a certain RO or join a specific career (among other stuff).

2.Customize your flagship! Build a ship that suits your needs…or tastes! From cosmetic details like your flag to decisions that affect your ship’s performance!

3.During your playthrough you will be able to fall under various curses each,with unique effects! (Depending on your choices,you may doom your crew and ship as well!)

4.Earn various titles from your deeds! Will you be a ruthless butcher? A kind hearted sailor? A daredevil of the seas? An immortal figure regarded as an omen? A filthy rich magnate? or perhaps even be called Monarch?! The choice is in your hands!

5.Meaningful choices that truly affect your character throughout the story! Like losing a limb/eye in a battle sequence if failing multiple stat checks in a row.

6.Romance a wild cast of characters.Between them a stoic commodore,a mad pirate, an ambitious scholar and a caring demigod.

7.Manage your supplies and the way you spend your resources.Also your crew and even your very own fleet!

8.Wellbeing system, including sanity,injuries,soul and current state.

9.Save the kingdom of Narva from calamity…or help destroy it.

The very thing that got me hooked on IF in the first place, was the freedom to be whoever you wanted to be and experiment without real life consequences.With that being said I don’t plan on leaning you towards the “good path” or berate you when you make an “evil” decision and so on.That’s not my job.I’m a firm believer that true freedom is one of the greatest things in the world (if not the greatest).

As for the story,it’s somewhere in the middle regarding development.I’m planning to release a demo when I have completed the prologue and the first 2 chapters.

I’d love to hear your thoughts! And I’ll be happy to answer any non-spoiler-ish questions.

EDIT 1 : Changed the W.I.P title from “A Pirate’s Legend” to “Chronicles of Narva” as I find it more fitting.A pirate’s legend was the very first title I thought but it’s not so fitting given some elements in the story.I just got the titles mixed up in my head😅 for a second as there was a period when “A Pirate’s Legend” was my top choice .I guess this is what I get for not starting my day with a coffee😂.

28 Likes

Just checking for interest:

Title: Warlock

Synopsis:
In a world of swords, firearms and magic…
The Bylorn Empire fights off aggressive invasion attempts from its neighbours while dealing with monsters and rogue groups within its own borders. This is all thanks to one group within the military.

The Warlocks…

People born with a daemon lurking inside of them. Granting them access to powerful magic and incredible physical prowess. Using might and magic, this arm of the military brings stability to the Empire.

But power comes at a cost…

Are you willing to trade your Soul for Power?

Other Information:
From a simple Initiate torn from your family to a Knight of the Order training new recruits. The bonds you create and the futures you mold will last you a lifetime.

Will you strive to reach the rank of Grandmaster Warlock? Or will you be cast out and hunted down as you try to uncover a terrible secret?

Grow older, and maybe wiser, as you deal with everything that is thrown at you in your own way. Fight against the ravages of Age on your mind and body as you race against the (Biological) clock.

Will you Transcend Humanity, remain somewhat Human, or succumb to the Daemon within?

This is Your Life, Your Story… Your Legacy.

Features:

*Choose your own gender identity. Including your own pronouns.

*Love interests are available to everyone… Assuming they meet the characters preferences. (Being Pure, Corrupt or skilled in Melee to name a few.)

*Choices can have drastic consequences on places you have previously visited.

*Branching Storyline depending on your choices.

*Appearance and how characters respond to you change based on your skills and state of your soul.

*Change of Heart: Possible to reach a Good ending, even if you have acted Evil throughout the story (or vice versa)

*Freedom to be who you want to be, as long as you can accept the consequences that can come with it.

*Multiple Endings: What fate awaits the Empire based on how you affected it?

26 Likes

Would anyone be interested in playing a game set in a fictional Russian town, where reality and magical folklore blend together? The MC is 18 and moves from a bigger Russian city to the middle of nowhere basically, and has to adjust to the politics of the new school and town, while something strange and mystical is happening in the background. I haven’t completely worked out the mechanics of everything yet, but I imagining giving options to play as either a Caucasian woman, a Black woman, or an Asiatic woman (the MC will be genderlocked to female). Regardless of race, your nationality will be Russian, and there are different background stories for each MC and her family.

I’m planning on creating a character creator at the beginning of the game, where you get to choose basically everything about your physical appearance. Each of that option will also play in on how you expierence the game. Because the game takes place in a very conservative and insular town (in Russia not to say), choosing to play as a Black woman or an Asiatic woman (though less so than the former, because it’s not unusual to see asiatic people in Russia) will have a severe difference on how others treat you (I’m basically saying you’ll be expierencing racism, though nothing too severe, because I don’t want it to be completely unpleasant for the player) as well as choosing to be ugly, fat, muscular, or lightskinned will also have big differences as to NPCs treat you and how the game progresses. Beautiful players will have options presented to them that ugly or average players won’t get, thin but flabby, or fat but curvy bodied players will expierence the game differently than thin and toned or fat but flabby bodied players.

There will be 3 different male ROs, though I don’t want to reveal them at this stage, especially if there is no interest.

I’m mainly worried about people thinking that this game is too unpleasant, due to how much your looks will affect the game and the story. But I’ve been thinking for a while now how I wanted to see a game where desirability politics and lookism plays a huge part in how the story progresses. In other IF games I’ve played, it’s sort of assumed that the MC is somewhat attractive if not gorgeous (or at least it feels that way), while in this game I would try have the ROs acknowledge if MC doesn’t exactly meet the beauty standards but love her anyways.

This is it for now, let me know if this is something that’s appropriate for the IF community.

26 Likes

I’d definitely want to read this since I don’t know much about Russia.

2 Likes

Chronicles of Luffy :hugs:

1 Like

There’s definitely a hint of an idea here, though based on my knowledge of Russia it would be a far more likely choice to replace a black character with a Caucasian (geographic region) character. Definitely would also be interesting if the character would be given the choice of being LGBT. I’d also like to hear a little bit more on the circumstances of this game. What type of strange things are happening? But to answer your question, this is something that would be completely appropriate for the IF community.

1 Like