Interest Check Thread

It works the same on mobile and PC. If you want to use the same app I do I could show you how to use it. It’s not recommended to start on mobile however, I dont mind helping out.

1 Like

It’s not like you’d need more than a text editor to start.

1 Like

So, I’ve been planning to keep my latest plans under wraps. But, I get too excited to keep things for myself. Probably the last project I’ll even try to keep on(It would be nice for me to finish one thing before trying something else, I know), but I had the thought for too long to just it all go.

After playing the Earthbound/Mother series and at first, thinking it was just a typical rpg, I fell in love with the series at the end, and while there’s no way I can make something amazing as that, I want to do my best to share something along that vein with other people.

Where I’m at currently is having the building blocks, but not able to think if the proper structure to build anything with.

A story about psychic powers. The primary methods using warping, elemental, mental, and telekinetic abilities. Everyone essentially has the same kind of power, but completely different things they are better at and different levels of strength and control.

I have several of the main cast already planned out, though I’m still debating on the structure to use. I’m currently leaning towards a kind of superhero style story which isn’t normally for me, or a sort of alien invasion kind of scenario, to emulate closer home to the Mother series. I’m primarily planning a modern to science fiction setting.

What I got so far is the concepts for characters.

Current major characters

Aidan
Power Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Description: Arrogant and easy to dismiss for his narcissistic behaviour, a lot of it is caused by being among the five most powerful psychics to exist. Shockingly, while even his allies don’t believe it, he genuinely cares about making the world a better place and wants to make it a good place for everyone to live, meaning while arrogant, he’s not a true narcissist. However, his arrogance leads to him being uncompromising with his believes about justice, and with his strength, really is as competent as he claims. This is only hampered by his biggest weakness being his own ego, and it would hurt his pride if he ever had to admit to truly giving it his all against his opponent.

Hayes
Power Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Description: Among the most naturally powerful psychics if not THE strongest, it’s killed by his ability of psychic empathy, which he and the rest describe as being closer to a “super disability” He can’t help but sympathize with everyone and everybody, often making him closer to fighting as a three star psychic at best, since he can’t bring himself to seriously fight against anyone, good or evil. His ultimate goal is to lose his powers and become normal. Not so much out of “Having reality bending psychic powers is bad” as it is “Being forced to feel love and attraction to every human on the planet is not the greatest of superpowers.”

Rue
Power Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
A bizarre case. She’s an exceptionally strong psychic…who died sixty years ago. Is she really a ghost? Some kind of manifestation of psychic energy? She doesn’t get any older and has a strong attachment to mirrors, but there is no clues where she came from or for what reason. The only thing for sure, is that she stats alive by the power of hate and if she’s hesitating on claiming a new victim, it’s because she wants to take the time to build their fear for longer.

Natalie(Nat)
Power Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆☆
Description: On paper, the weakest of the high ranking psychics, but in practical use, can more often than not, get an edge over the others. This is due to just being a normal enough girl whose powers awakened and she got thrown into something she doesn’t understand. Having no real emotional hangups, other than just being a young girl not ready for this kind of war, she isn’t afraid of giving things her all, though due to her actual lack of pride in her power, she’s the most likely to give up and run as soon as it looks like she no longer has the upper hand. However, she doesn’t have any bad obsessions that hurt her judgment…except maybe when it comes to dealing with Kalene.

Kalene
Power Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Description: If there’s any motive for her to protect the city, it’s to preserve the shopping mall. She’s more focused on glamour and being the center of attention than saving humanity . Oddly, she’s one of the few who insists everyone should get along with each other. She has no problems sharing wealth with others and her focus on herself often means, she doesn’t take any issues with other people until they directly offend her, personally. She will only wait until she’s confident the situation is under control to show off, but this has still caused more than a few instances of someone taking advantage of this to get the better of her, though it’s actually much harder to do than those who would think to try it would believe.

So that’s where my current thoughts are. If anyone has questions on things or had any clue what I could do with the general idea, let me know.

23 Likes

@Hex

1. Interesting concept, If you make a demo I’ll definitely play it.
  2. I don’t know if you have gotten that far, but do you have any physical descriptions of the characters?
  3. I don’t know if you’re familiar with Marvel’s X-men but, there’s this overpowered telepath named Nate Grey who tries to psychically rewrite reality for the betterment of his fellow mutants and your character Aidan reminds me of him. Because of his good intentions.
3 Likes

My set ideas on appearances aren’t totally solid yet. Aidan does generally appear as incredibly feminine, but he does have the ability to manipulate people’s senses into perceiving something different from reality. He can use it to give the impression he’s a literal angel coming to strike people down if feels like it.

Rue, is the only one is a more cemented idea of what she’ll look like, since she basically shares a style similar to Samara(The Ring), or Nororko(The Black Heart), being the same type of ghost(?), being similar to an Onyrō. Whether or not that’s good or bad, depends on perspective.

Not necessarily as bad as it sounds

But, I could also find many variations of it being way, way, worse than it sounds.(I really, really, wouldn’t recommend searching them up though.)

I haven’t seen the X-Men. My knowledge of comics mainly comes from what I learned from television and the internet complaining about things in comics. I’m not quite sure where he’ll fall if in the antagonist party or protagonist group.

4 Likes

humm…very Times of Trouble like…very Baldur’s Gate 2 like as well…

Though personally, Snob if I was a God, why would I go back to being some weakling human…time to tear the realm apart . :smile:

2 Likes

probably by butthurt idiots with no sense of humour too…totally will do it again :grin:

1 Like

This thread isn’t just for a “would you read this” check, it’s a space for people to ask specific questions about their specific WIPs if they don’t have their own WIP thread. I’d say your first two polls definitely apply to that, though you’re free to post your last two questions in the IF Poll thread as well.

5 Likes

Will go ahead and ask this, I guess. Would anyone be interested in a hopefully better reboot of my old WiP, Empty Shell? Been playing with the thought for a while.

• Yes!!!
  • Sure. Sounds fun.
  • Not my kind of thing.
  • Empty what?
0 voters

(Sorry for voting on my own poll, but it doesn’t let me see the results otherwise :no_mouth:)

16 Likes

I’d pick sure sounds fun, but mystery/thriller isn’t my kind of thing.
So, yep, sure sounds fun.

1 Like

I like the ‘empty shell’ stuff, but not big on big human miltary vs scum pirates stuff. But if the stuff are in space with much pew pew…maybe I’ll be less bored lol .

Edit: Oh man, ok I take that back. I really forgot your story. and cant change my vote , damn . But YEAH SURE! Now that I remembered it, it was really really Good. Though, I do stick with my whole ‘Dont care for the military stuff’ but you wrote it in an interesting way .

2 Likes

I don’t remember Empty Shell in great detail, but I do remember enjoying the early chapters. I enjoyed them quite a bit, if my memory’s even remotely solid.

That said, I also seem to remember the gradually increasing scope of the early chapters suddenly exploding all over the plot like an egg in a microwave.

Like, one moment it was a super-intimate character driven plot; exploring the personality and background of the MC, as seen through their interactions with a small supporting cast. Then, partway through a murder mystery (I feel like the MC was the killer, but either didn’t remember or couldn’t speak about it?) suddenly there was a “save the world” scenario and the MC was piloting a powered armor suit through space? Or something?

If I remember that part correctly (a fairly big “if”, I admit) is the… suddenness of that portion going to be addressed in the reboot? Because I mostly remember that portion as being too much, too fast for my personal enjoyment.

Frankly speaking, I’d be perfectly happy if it stayed as an intimate character study the whole time, but I’m not sure the MC’s condition makes any sense without the conspiracy, so. And I did love the “Help, my eyes are spying and I can’t stop them!” bit, for what it’s worth. That’s the kind of creepy conspiracy story I can get behind. I’ll have to go back and replay the old demo soon to make sure I’m remembering correctly.

3 Likes

If I’m going through with the reboot the end product will look really different from the original. It’s roughly the same premises, but with more freedom to define your character. It should still be possible to play as a mostly oblivious MC, but not as much as in the original. It will also be less black and white morality-wise. You’d for example be free to work with the original “team badguy” without either being forced to or the game punishing you for it, and angst is possible but optional. (Will keep a closer eye on pacing too.) Of course until it’s actually written down that’s all plans and speculation. Also not all of the original characters will make it into the new version. This far only Doc and Finn are pretty much assured of a spot.

9 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Aw man, what about my Xena ? She is the reason I was able to remember your wip :sob:

Why such big changes though, from feedback ?

2 Likes

A change from the micro-focus to the macro-focus was something I also remember.

I was really intrigued with where you were going with your story @Cecilia_Rosewood, so hearing that the project might be active once more is a good thing in my opinion.

2 Likes

@E_RedMark She is on the “maybe” list (might go with a different name.) Ariel and Jason are the only ones who definitely aren’t going to make the cut. (Ariel because she had the personality of a cardboard cutout, Jason because I’ve got someone more suited in mind for that role.)

Long story short, I’m a really different person now than I was back then. I jumped in the deep end last time, with only a minimum amount of thought and planning going into it. At the rate it was going it was going to fall apart at the seams long before it would reach a conclusion. That’s not something I want to repeat.

@Eiwynn I’m not exactly reviving the project. More like… writing something in the same vein? It’s going to take a while before it turns into anything tangible. I have a lot more real-life responsibilities now than I had back when I wrote Empty Shell.

5 Likes

Just letting you know there was a similar game made a while back. Not sure if it’s still on the website, though.

1 Like

Oh Santa Santa, let my new different name xena make it, but other then that, Good luck with writing again! :wink: hope you get it the way you want!

2 Likes

Alright. As a constant lurker, and occasional poster on this forum, I’m going to take a leap and see if my idea could garner any interest, so here’s the blurb.

Entropic Vice
“The summer sun blazes and the 80’s (1384 to be exact) take it in stride. The tropical city of Alhana is as alive at night as it is in the day, and in a city that doesn’t sleep, crime thrives. Turf wars have spilled out onto the streets, driving the body count even higher. Drugs, sex, booze, illegal magic use and gambling have their grip on the throat of the shining example of modernity. And the detectives of the Alhana Police Metro-Garnet OCB, Vice Division, are the gaurdians that protect most from a world of entropy.”

In Entropic Vice you would take on the role of a newly appointed sergeant to the Alhana Vice division, following the death of your predecessor. You are an outsider. Green and looking to prove yourself to the others in your department, and to keep the streets clean. Any way you can.

The book will take place in a world I’ve been developing for about five years now that I use for most of my tabletop rpg campaigns. D&D mostly. Think of it like an alternate version of the American nineteen eighties in Miami, at least according to the television series ‘Miami Vice’.
Some other Influences on my concept are; the Hawaii Five-0 reboot, Dexter, Fables by Bill Willingham (The Telltale Game ‘The Wolf Among Us’ especially), Netlfix’s Bright, Hill Street Blues, Blade Runner, Miyo and The Land of Faraway, and The Neverending Story. Lots of others too, but this post is already pretty long so, hit me with questions if you got 'em! Looking forward to finally learning choicescript and seeing if you folks wanna be Sunny Crocket as much as I do!

22 Likes

I know, I know. I’m currently working on Wilhelmina, and yet! Behold! My shiny new idea (which I might continue to work on depending on how your feedback turns out). :innocent:

So. Modern days, big city, secret agency, personal problems, a dog …and aliens. I’d like to describe it as MiB meets very chaotic energy.
The premise is basically this: Aliens came to Earth and want to destroy it, including the entire human race. Meanwhile, the MC becomes part of this Secret Agency who tries to stop the aliens from destroying the planet. BUT there is more to it than the MC could possibly imagine.

Some stuff and things I already know:

• MC can be female, male or non-binary; asexual, bisexual, hetero- or homosexual.

• There’ll be three ROs (as of now): one male, one female, one who the player can decide upon whether they’re male or female.

• It’ll be funny at times, mysterious, scary and romantic. But I’ll try to aim for my main theme, which is “weird”, as often as I can.

• The aliens won’t be like mass effect aliens (sorry everyone!) but more like Stranger Things …things. No smooching the aliens.

This is all that comes to my mind right now, but feel free to ask stuff! I am currently at this stage, where I’m very eager to answer questions lol

A small disclaimer for those who (might) worry: No, I do not stop working on Mina. Mina is my baby and my priority as far as writing goes. :relaxed: This will be my downtime project :smiley:

25 Likes