Interest Check Thread

Lol, it seems like you’re changing your positions back and forth on whether or not you plan on plagiarising HP or turning it into a CSG or selling it at all. Which is a bit amusing, since we’ve all read the original post.

5 Likes

Yes…but then I have to change everything…I want my character to communicate with harry, Ron, Draco etc…but since his story os different some things need to be altered.

1 Like

That’s up to Dashingdon himself to decide. I don’t see why not, as he’s not legally bound to the same rules COG is.

I’m not sure if COG will let you post the link to a fanfic game here on the forums, either. They might!

1 Like

Mate…I do not have. A position…I asked for advice…see my introduction post.

And I am changi my views based on all of you people advice

1 Like

lol well I have totally lost sight of the original question by now. Since it’s a fanfic, you can do whatever you wan’t, there is no more advice to be given.

6 Likes

I believe he said yes, they are. I’ll try to find the post.

edit: Here it is.

4 Likes

That’s a good point.

I haven’t really seen any fanworks made in CS on here on the forums, but I might be wrong.

What I do know is that the focus of these forums is skewed toward original content, so that might be an issue. I’m gonna dig around to find out for certain.

Thank you!

5 Likes

You’re going to have to decide which one you want: a free, interactive fanfiction that you cannot advertise, cannot publish, and cannot get money for, or a new world that you have to create that you can. There is no middle ground here.

10 Likes

This was my question guys…I first asked whether it will be right thing to do or not.

1 Like

Semi-related question, if here is not the best place for interactive fan-fiction, where would that be?

1 Like

There is no “right”. There is only “legal” and “illegal” here and I’ve given you the ONLY two legal options.

5 Likes

Yes the only way I think you could get away with doing a game set in an established universe and make it for a profit is if it was in the public domain. So anyone could do a Sherlock Holmes game for example, but they would also have to be careful of it not being too much like other adaptations.

2 Likes

You can’t advertised but fanfic but it can be judged…and yes the remaining is other option creating a new world.

But I have a question…supposedly I created a new world…new story, new magic , new character…

But if the working of things is somewhat similar to harry potter will it be a problem?

1 Like

A study in steampunk is an great example…with same story atmosphere but different time and worls

2 Likes

It depends how closely you stick to it. Having people choose their wands in a wand shop in a hidden alleyway and then being sorted into four houses is a bit too close.

Being sorted into one of three clans and then having to carve your own wand at your first day of school out of select magical trees is not.

8 Likes

Well, if Dashingdon allows you to host it, then I would assume any other social media or forum would be acceptable. For example: Tumblr has a huge fanworks community, so I can imagine starting a blog there and link to Dahsingdon would be fine. Twitter, Blogspot, maybe even discord?

5 Likes

No if it’s indeed a new world instead of just a re-skinned HP universe. That’s assuming you actually sell, if it’s non-profit it would be the same rules as fan-fiction.

3 Likes

You mean there should be a sorting but it’s procedure must be changed…

1 Like

Depends on how similar, but I’m going to blatanty and somewhat rudely assume your view of the word “somewhat”, and if my assumption is correct the answer is yes. It would be a problem.

4 Likes

A lot of things should be changed. You can’t use the same words like Dementor or expelliarmus, you can’t use the same symbols like badgers and ravens, and you probably shouldn’t have a sorting hat, to boot. But the main bones can be kept the same.

2 Likes