Interest Check Thread

I’d certainly try it, but to be honest, playing a game all about being uncomfortable in your body doesn’t sound super fun to me on its own.

Some Questions:

Since you mentioned getting your body back is only one of the main arcs, do you mind mentioning what the others are?

Would we have to feel alienated by our new body? Would we have to want to get our original body back?

What is the tone of the story, and how deeply do you plan to explore the “being perceived as a different identity from the identity you are” theme?

For example, do you plan on exploring the ramifications of being perceived as male / female / gay / straight / GNC / black / white / overweight / old / etc. in a discriminatory society, or is it more of a “wacky hi-jinks, my body got stolen, gotta get it back” kinda tale?

Because those are two very different stories and the first one, not to be discouraging, requires a pretty nuanced understanding of race, gender, age, sexuality, and the interplay between all those things.

I do think this would be an interesting title, and wish you the best of luck if you pursue it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If this is done well, it will be enjoyable but if you lack execution, then it can cause distress and fatigue. If you do decide to run with this idea, then just be sure you get a lot of different people to test it. This is a case where the more people you have testing the story, the more likely you will be in pulling it off correctly.

1 Like

Could be a fun game! Of course you would have to decide how adult it was going to be, since I am pretty sure the moment any heterosexual guy found himself in a woman’s body he’s liable to be… curious about his new figure. :sweat:

3 Likes

peers down
“Hey, I got a boobs!” (in manly voice)

1 Like

Okay so this is something that spun out of another idea I had which would be a romance game with a Star Trek vibe, playing an Ensign on a spaceship with human, alien and machine based characters to date between life threatening missions and typical space science fiction tropes, and truthfully I still like the idea (and making a trilogy of it with games where you play a Han Solo like smuggler or a Boba Fett like Bounty Hunter in the same universe) but…

…when I was thinking about the machine based character I was considering if the player could pick what kind - if they were an Android, a non human robot, a sentient AI voice or a holographic being. And suddenly I realised that last one was interesting… what if you were the hologram?

Clearly minus any blatant Star Trek ripoff, but I thought of a game where you play a hologram in a program in some science fiction setting (though you can probably pick the setting you come from) that suddenly becomes self aware of the fact their world is not real. What happens next? Can they leave their setting or the ‘holodeck’ (will need a different name for that)? Do they want to get others aware and free? What about their relationship with human or aliens? With various peaceful or more aggressive outcomes. It’s a concept I could try and develop further… :thinking:

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Choice of Vampires Questions

Hiya everyone! I had this idea floating around in my head for some time now, but I am in need of help.

So, the thing I want to write is one of those ‘Monster in the House’ kind of stories. There are a lot of supernatural elements, as well as mystery, horror, and romance (of course wink wonk).

It’s about hunting (or joining) an ‘evil’ entity that roams the ‘house’ (we come to this later). By the by, there is no good or bad in this story, everything and everyone is different shades of grey. The MC can have a connection to this entity, though their past or present - I’m not sure about this yet. Though, I am really hoping to be able to include some kind of ‘second life’ thread. Like either a second (less active) protagonist or some kind of flashbacks of the single MC. WHO the MC exactly is, depends on the ‘house’. And this is where I struggle. I have three possible settings in mind.

A. a BOAT. Like in ‘we are on the ocean, there is nothing else but WATER’. I was thinking about a transatlantic cruise in the 1940s/50s. The MC would be a high society passenger, getting involved involuntarily as a murder happens just as they come around a corner. Something like that.

B. A manor, set in the late Victorian era. The MC would be a doctor who is called to the said manor in order to find a cure for the mysterious illness of one of the manor’s inhabitants. Once they are there, shenanigans ensue.

C. An urban fantasy setting (this is the least developed setting). I imagine it being a bit like Supernatural, though the MC is a ‘hunter’ in training.

Any feedback/commentary/critique is welcome and much obliged! Oh, and if you want me to elaborate on something more feel free to ask!

• A. Boat
  • B. Manor
  • C. Urban

0 voters

11 Likes

I’m not the biggest horror fan in the world so maybe I’m not your target audience, but I chose boat because you’re trapped. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Any protagonist that I’m in control of would just leave the house in the other two situations.

Also if I had to choose I’d rather play one character in the present and in flashbacks than two different characters. Any time IF gives me more than one character I quickly develop a favorite, and spend whole sections of the game disappointed that I’m not playing my favorite character.

11 Likes

Thank you for your answer! :innocent:
The story doesn’t focus that much on the horror, don’t worry :smiley: There will be a bit of creepiness though. The main themes of the game are mystery and romance - now that I’ve spent more time thinking about the three different settings and how they alter the story, I’ve come to the conclusion that it will also be a bit of an adventure going on in the urban setting.
The MC will form a certain kind of group around them, friends or just allies (including future betrayers) in each setting.
In the urban setting, the MC is part of an organization, an underground peacekeeping force between humans and supernatural beings. They will be supernatural themselves and have to investigate some murders while being confronted by something/someone from their past.

2 Likes

I think we haven’t seen a real old fashioned murder mystery game yet, so I would love to see something like it if that’s what you’re describing.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, currently working on chapter one for this premise I’ve been thinking on for a while. I’m curious to find out if anyone would be interested in it.

You play as a citizen of one of the last few cities that acts as a stronghold against a supernatural vampire-like race that has wings and feeds on humans. While much of the land outside of the city is considered lost, the city is able to maintain some form of normalcy through units of trained fighters (called the Atlas) that are equipped to deal with the supernatural threat. Adult citizens are normally drafted to join the Atlas and that is what happens to you one day. During your adventure you will discover that not everything is as it seems and that there are always many sides to every war. As you hone your skills in combat/healing/herbalism, you will have the option to advance your rank in TA or to abandon it altogether. Also romance…lots of romance.

7 Likes

I vote for boat, it’s the easiest one to buy being trapped in a location (it’s not necessary for the horror/mystery, but adds to it). Also the 50s setting, rich people with secrets, supernatural phenomena, sounds far more interesting than the others.

Also, flashbacks work for me better than a second playable character, as the player can fill in more story about their MC instead of fleshing out someone else. Especially when that someone else is not guaranteed to appeal to the player, unlike MC.

7 Likes

Everything about this premise is deepfried “yes” on a stick. I voted for the boat because a 50s high society murder mystery at sea sounds incredibly fun with the premise, and keeping people trapped in a specific location is quintessential horror. A boat serves that purpose well. I would also say, please focus on the horror more than anything else. The horror you could have with this locale and this premise is too delicious to pass up.

3 Likes

Ah yes, love that. Just me and the vast ocean, oh and also a dead body :sweat_smile: I really love fantasy themes, though. So this is gonna be a tough one.

2 Likes

pfff at all them boats lover! :smirk:

You guys ever watched that movie, with a boat in distress requesting help ? and turn into ‘serial killer hunting trap’’ kinda of movie ?

Ohh or that alfred hitchcock episode with a boat, similar to this one . But less gory, more suspense .

I voted for the haunted house, cose creepy ghost and dark basement . A classic! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello, all.
This will be my first time ever posting in this forum, although I am a long time reader of Choicescript games (I hope I’m posting in the right place). I am currently writing a sci-fi romance story set in a possible future of earth where the majority of the world was destroyed through nuclear fallout, and the time period is just now catching back up with now current technology after a few millennia. The story is set in a (typical perhaps) college/academy setting during the initial release of war and handles some themes like nationalist persecution, psychological trauma, and wartime violence. I currently have about 45k ish words down on paper, not including the coding (I personally don’t feel I should inflate the number by including it), and due to the fact that I plan for the story to be heavily character focused and driven, there are 9 specific individuals for which you will come across and find yourself forced to affiliate with as you attempt to hold onto your peaceful life with war looming overhead. I’m just wondering if that even remotely sounds interesting or if the concept is believed to be a cliche upon a wrapping of archetypes. Again, this is my first post, so if I did it wrong, I apologize!

14 Likes

I really like the damsel in distress one. Wanted to play a game like that for a long time. Haven’t exactly found anything like that on this platform yet. sigh

2 Likes

Hii, guys I am planning on creating a game based Harry potter universe.

To avoid copyright issue I am planning to alter all the names and magical words used in books and also changing the nature of the Hogwarts universe slightly but the story will be based on Harry potter plot.

I want all you friends to advice whether it will be right if I do this.
If your answer is yes then I will be highly delighted to your suggestion about how to progress to create the altered story and magical universe.

3 Likes

That’s still plagiarism though. I remember reading a news article years ago about a woman who did the same thing. She lost badly.

9 Likes

You right …that’s I am asking all of your advice.

I was planning to alter all the names and word used in the books…change the story slightly and also change the working of nature of Hogwarts magical universe.

1 Like