In a story who do you prefer to be? Hero, Villain or Anti Hero? And why?

I’d rather be a villain as that gives me more free rein to make the character what I want. Heroes and anti-heroes have to remain fundementally good, with heroes sometimes being sickeningly so, and an anti-hero has to maintain a balancing act between good and more dubious actions to remain so.

A villain, on the other hand, can do good or evil as they wish, but remain a villain nonetheless.

4 Likes

@No_This_Is_Patrick Fact lol

@Hex Im not saying youre wrong, I’m young and all but I’m more or a little less caught up with Batman’s past, through the MANY universal resets and I’m kinda on the up and up on the new Batman (who is now classed as a meta-human, they finally made the push lol). I know he’s killed, pretty sure in his younger years as Batman he killed, went through a little cycle of he’s basically doing what Joe Chill did to his parents, so he stopped for awhile, realized that being “friendly” wasnt cutting it then went onto severly hurt criminals and decided that was the best option :joy:.

All I’m saying is this new Batman (2017/2018) doesnt kill unless 100% necesary.

1 Like

I’m more for the anti-hero. Villain is usually too much for me, and I end up being a “villain only in words” :sweat_smile:

I don’t like much playng the hero, because being all good is not for me either.

The anti-hero is the right compromise for me.

3 Likes

Wait, what? :sob::sob::sob: (20 characters)

2 Likes

Well… for those who had play and watch the cinematic of StarCraft II from wings of Liberty to Heart of Swarm… Sarah Kerrigan had slaughter millions as The Queen of Blades, but still she is an Anti-Villain …a villain who still show love to the man she love, and compassion to her allies. She was a heroine of Earth Terrans before she was betrayed , i don’t know…i still feel pretty comfortable rooting for Kerrigan , and I am happy Jim Reynor manage to live happily ever after with her in the end :wink: :wink: :blush:

2 Likes

Ok, ‘crazed serial killer’ isn’t quite accurate, but Batman at the start was willing to carry and use guns and was not above killing.

4 Likes

Probably Anti-Hero.
I don’t like to be restricted to a certain hero code (like having to act in a proper way, not killing anybody etc) but I also don’t want to be a evil for no real reason/just for fun.

1 Like

I admit, I’m often a bit sceptical of anti-hero characters. I mean, in theory, they can make for pretty interesting protagonists; in practice though, they are often an excuse for “too cool for good guys rules, too smart to be villains”, complete with an edge you could cut yourself on. Sometimes you can find an interesting one, but for each success, I tend to see a dozen failures.

12 Likes

Definitely a villain. Being a hero or an anti-hero feels limiting when it comes to motivation and what compels them to be what they want to be.

3 Likes

Eh, anti-hero or a villain, heroes are a bit to humanitarian for my tastes. Not that there’s anything wrong with humanitarian.

2 Likes

Anti hero, for the fact that it help society from being destroyed even if it has to break hero code of honor and in some cases it has to do an act of villains

1 Like

Well… for those who had play and watch the cinematic of StarCraft II from wings of Liberty to Heart of Swarm… Sarah Kerrigan had slaughter millions as The Queen of Blades, but still she is an Anti-Villain …a villain who still show love to the man she love, and compassion to her allies

2 Likes

honestly, i do like playing the hero but as others have said it is quite limiting and kind of tiring playing good all the time… Which is why i love anti heroes more like u can skirt the edge between good or evil and be in the shade of grey in a world of black and white

2 Likes

Anti heroes are typically heroes who do not behave as heroes should behave or are not motivated by judeo-roman catholic- christian altruism. I prefer the utilitarian hero myself, they find interesting solutions (e.g., shoot through the hostage to get to the villain then give the hostage some medigel)

There is the guile hero who will do to the villain what the villain would have done to others (e.g. hold the villains family hostage and brainwash their children, bomb the villains compound, use the villains friends as human shields).

The anti-hero I play the most is the egoist hero, who will fight the villain because the villain was a threat to them or their interests(or has something they want), saving everyone else was just a side effect.

2 Likes

Well, I suppose, whenever possible, I’ll be the hero under the mask. The world will sing my song and saga, but they’ll never know that the hero they praise is winning the arm wrestling competition in the tavern.

On another note, bonus point if my masked hero is someone who has a gloomy and dark past. Besides, there’s a reason why the phrase “Once an evil demon, then a great hero” makes for a badass latin song.

1 Like

I usually am more interested in the villain, and whenever I play games with choices I tend to make evil choices because it can be really entertaining - sadly, though, I’ve found that in many games being evil kind of just excludes content instead of creating separate scenes etc. I haven’t read many CoG, so I’m not including any of those in this example. I’m just talking games in general :slight_smile:

I think being the hero who turns into the villain is my favorite scenario, though :smile: though I have to say that I also love anti heroes over all. They definitely tend to feel more relatable than perfectly good and brave heroic types.

4 Likes

Are we talking in Games in general or choiceofgames games?

In Games in general , being a vilain from the get go…is rarely an option . And there are games I would never play a vilain (I have a weak stomach I admit :P) .

Also alot of games are tailored for the hero , and I have no issue playing as one . No matter how many times I do it…it never get old .

I think anti-hero would be the aspect that I would feel unconfortable playing and picking . Just not my cup of tea .

So to answer the question : I would play a Hero and my kind of hero would be Kreia from Kotor 2 (even though she is seen as a vilain , to me she is a hero , if you want a choiceofgame character…then Side step from Fallen Hero Rebirth is my kind of ‘Hero’ ) .

For a vilain , that’s a bit harder . Most vilains in video games are limited to emotions like Greed , revenge and such .

Since I do not have a good exemple for a vilain…I guess my vote gonna be a Hero .

1 Like

If possible, I always tends to play as a well intentioned extremist with heavy ‘The End Justifies The Means’ tendencies. I’ll gladly sacrifices millions of people if it means bringing heaven to earth, I’ll gladly raze a bustling city to the ground if it means stopping a dangerous virus from spreading or if it’s my only option to stop a dangerous element, I’ll cut off or poison my enemies supply line to weaken their army, I’ll perform immoral experiments to further my goal, I’ll blackmail people if it’s the only way to ensure their loyalty, I’ll execute a child on the spot if their continued existence is detrimental for the world.

But what does that makes me? A hero in my own eyes. An anti-hero to my peers. A villain in everyone else’s.

Long story short, a villain.

3 Likes

Being the hero is honestly so annoying, and almost every cog kinda always makes you one. I rather be a villian for once cause it spices things up imho

4 Likes

Hero. I don’t know why, but that’s pretty much always what I gravitate toward.

1 Like