I'm Sorry, But I Think We Should See Other People - ROs You Hate

For RO’s I dislike (That isn’t friggin Wayhaven Chronicles have some variety in this topic gang pretty much everything about them has been said) I tend to dislike the more generically nice type

They’re not bad characters per say but give me some spice! Some drama!

Also I’d like more games where the ROS can take the initiative and not the MC. I want to play more shy characters who wouldn’t just openly flirt with someone first

21 Likes

This thread has made me genuinely tempted to try out Samurai of Hyuga, just to experience what you all have been talking about (have not read the series before, at all) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with point B. I don’t like being the flirty one all the time. I hate predicting the character reactions and stuff. I’m pretty introverted too, so playing the one who takes initiative can be a bit awkward.

Point A is where our opinions diverge. I like the nice ones. I like drama, but I like to at least get along with the RO most of the time. I prefer my drama from other sources.

20 Likes

Yeah, I find the ‘nice’ romances make for a satisfying contrast considering all the shit most MCs go through in their day-to-day. The RO acting as the anchor rather than the storm is an underrated dynamic imo.

18 Likes

If you haven’t already, try out Arcadie and romance Cyril, healthiest relationship in CoGs so far.

9 Likes

I don’t self-insert, so it’s not a problem for me personally to play a MC that is forced to make all the moves on the RO, but I like to make different OCs for games, and get sick of always having to make them so overt that they come off creepy or so shy and flusterable that it makes me want to barf.

Honestly, I think authors are afraid to make a RO that is the one to make the first move or to be the one to instigate things with the MC because there are a few that are so vocal about it triggering them. The way I see it, stick a warning on it and let them avoid that RO if they want. No need to punish all of us for it.

I agree with this. As for “nice” ROs… eh, they tend to be too submissive and unnaturally agreeable to me. It’s not that I need drama (by any stretch of the imagination), but I like ROs that will bicker with the MC, be snarky (in a flirty or lighthearted way), and not hesitate to push back if the MC pushes them. So, like A or M from Wayhaven, minus the dragged out, over-the-top, overwrought emotional bullshit (i.e., let them be themselves, but do it while in a budding relationship, not the never-ending hot/cold, push/pull, playing-with-the-MC’s-head crap that we’ll have to put up with for another three books.

ROs who aren’t syrupy sweet can do this, too. In fact, they can often be better at it than the overly soft ones, because the whole “us against the world” thing is easier to pull off with a RO who isn’t worried about a vase being broken…

I just like some spice from the RO, without it always being about the RO refusing to be with the MC or being too stupid to understand their own feelings.

And one more thing… I get the necessity for consent, but I get extremely sick of reading interactions between two characters who’ve done the do and are clearly comfortable with each other physically that start with asking for consent to do something minor or, in the middle of starting to get it on with them, them asking if they’re sure. It’s enough to kill the mood and annoy some of my MC’s.

So maybe there should be some setting to toggle that off. Or add an option for the MC to shrug off the touch or run away or something.

17 Likes

i don’t really self-insert most of the time either. I just play what kind of character seems most interesting. Picking the flirty options can still be a bit awkward for me still, but that’s not the only issue. The other stuff applies as well.

I feel like we have different definitions of “nice”. Mine is broad enough to include everything listed. I figured you meant like, tsunderes and such (which are fine too, but easy to screw up in writing).

Hey y’all it’s ya boy. So i don’t know know if any of you have read Project Hadea but Rohan absolutely, positively deserves to be on this list. Never in my life have i i felt so disrespected and used by a character than this prick. Yet there is something about them that keeps me coming back

10 Likes

That a WIP?

1 Like

Yeah, just on itch.io (not meant to link, pls ignore), not here.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, the last time Project Hadea came up, it was eventually ruled that the topic should try and stick to CoG games only.

Not trying to be an ass, just letting you know. Though there was some spirited discussion about Rohan in the previous Hadea discussion, I will say. You’re certainly not the only one thinking like this.

2 Likes

Ah crap, my bad. It’s been awhile since I been on this thread so I must have missed that

2 Likes

Not many ROs I straight up hate. Even if they’re not my type, there’s usually something I can appreciate.

I think the worst kind are the ones that don’t leave a lasting impression because they’re just tacked on, and just… there

5 Likes

Tom from Zombie Exodus, and honestly, Devlin too. The former, if you’ve played the game, you know why… and the latter, he’s just such a creep that I couldn’t possibly give him a chance to “prove” himself worthy of my MC. (I think 2012 was the age of the Lovable Misogynist type character… barf. Not that I don’t like Jim Dattilo’s work, but the male ROs in that game were not it.)

Other than that, Karson from Creme de La Creme?? I thought they’d be one of the best ROs, but when my MC ended up escaping from that Schroeder lady, Karson just betrays his gf (he was a guy in my playthrough) and points her out, then acts like nothing happened and MC “forgave” him-- news flash Karson, I didn’t!

I agree with OP that M’s plot was lacking in emotional connection, if that’s what you want out of an RO.

9 Likes

Rosario and Hartmann are where it’s at for ROs in CdlC. Freddie is a close second.

I know that what I said is RO love, not RO hate, but still, they are the best.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, fuck Tom. I never romanced him (I go for female ROs), but he just grew more and more awful as the game went on. He couldn’t have not known his plan could have gotten others hurt, and he apparently killed River’s wife too. He’s always so selfish and paranoid. Anytime you do something helpful he gets all pissy about you subverting “mah athoritah” (never thought I’d ever reference that show). Dude, we’re fucking dying. If you want people to respect you, DO SOMETHING. You think I LIKE having to do your job for you? I honestly just let River kill him. Like seriously, River is one of my favorite characters because not only is his madness believable and entertaining, but when he starts raving about how Tom has to die, you can actually agree with him and plot his demise. That was the best part of the climax.

Never played that one but he sounds awful. Tf he do that for?

3 Likes

They’re basically a peasant groundskeeper that’s been bullied by a noble into helping them commit multiple crimes, and they fold when the criminals lean on them.

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, you can get your relationship with Karson to a point where they won’t actively try to screw you over by orders from the higher-ups. Haven’t played in a while, though, so I could be talking clear out of my ass on that one.

And since we’re talking about CdlC:

Short version: Hogwarts, but for rich snobs, and instead of magic you learn politics and etiquette and also how to stab everybody in the back for your own personal gain if you’re into that kind of thing. Also the headmaster’s a bitch and will have you kidnapped and sent off to a slave camp if you don’t fall in line with her schemes like she wants you to. This is not the first time she has done this. You’re simply the latest victim.

4 Likes

He’s also the only RO I’ve encountered in any game that will murder the PC for trying to break up with him.

17 Likes

Woah woah woah, hold up. Even I didn’t know that!

14 Likes