IF based on novels written by me?

I wasn’t sure how to ask this question, so I’m sorry if it is confusing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m writing a novel and I’m expecting to be done with it in a few months. At this point I want to publish (I recognize this could take a while depending on my skill and effort). When I finish my novel, the world I created would be my own. So then I got to thinking, could I market the book through the app and vice versa?

Could I write an IF based on that world once I’ve published the novel? Or does Hosted Games prefer not to publish IF based on Novels?

PS: I don’t even know if this can be very successful, but it was an idea I thought could be worth exploring.

2 Likes

The copyright would be yours so i believe yes you can.

4 Likes

So long as you own the rights to the world, (i.e. if/when you get it published you don’t sell your IP rights with it), and your game is actually a game and not just a novel stuck into ChoiceScript (and whatever else would normally stop us from publishing isn’t a problem), we don’t mind.

7 Likes

Oh that’s exciting, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it works both ways too. If an author of a HG title wanted to write a novel based on their game, they’d be allowed to, since the world and characters still belong to the author. As far as I’m aware, the only thing a HG author is not allowed to do with their work is publish the same game on a different website.

3 Likes

I think you need to run it by your publisher

2 Likes

The Deathless CoGs and Moreytown were all written in worlds previously featured in published novels by those authors.

4 Likes

And Attack of the clockwork army, and Choice of the Petal Throne :slight_smile:

3 Likes