IAPs - whats your opinion?

“Though if it comes to the point where I feel that I’m deliberately withheld content in order to make more money, my usual response is to deliberately avoid anything to support the creator, up to the point where I stop buying any future products simply because I refuse to support anything like that.”

Glad to be getting reactions like this before releasing a game… so that if I do decide to go with an IAP I’ll at least be pissing people off with full awareness of the implications of my actions. :slight_smile:

As a Chrome store player myself, I’ve been leaning very heavily against including an IAP in Rebels ever since I found out that Chrome-only folk would be excluded. That’s pretty close to a dealbreaker for IAPs as far as I’m concerned.

I have considerably less sympathy for people with a knee-jerk “ripoff” reaction - not that they’re wrong (the customer never is) but I’d still feel quite comfortable saying to them, “You and I clearly disagree about the value of my game, so I’m fine with you not buying it. (And boycotting everything else I ever write? Wow, ok. We clearly weren’t meant to be).”

I’d expected some debate when I released the actual content of the tax collector segment - people arguing about whether what I had added was worth $1 or 50c or less (and if 50c, whether that’s too piddly to bother with).

But I’ve been surprised by how irrelevant that’s been to people’s judgments - it’s not treated as additional content, simply withheld content, so can be judged independently of actually seeing it - and how many have felt confident pronouncing that the game’s up front price should/must/will be fair value.

I guess I thought more people (at least those above the age where they can have their own credit card) would accept that when finished this game - like almost all CoG games - is going to be a sweet steal at $3ish.

I’m not doing this for a living (which means my work is unfortunately likely to resemble George R R Martin’s in more ways than just genre, themes, and longwindedness). But other CoG authors are, or would like to be. They want “to make more money” for the best of reasons, not because they’re underhand and greedy like yours truly.

Given that a high up-front price on the App Store turns potential readers away before they’ve had a chance to appreciate the actual value of a CoG novel… I’d like to see writers giving a streamlined game for that low low CoG price, while offering a fuller story via IAP to people who’ve discovered they like the world and style. If that made the games more financially viable, I might have less of a wait for more Infinite Sea, and Lucid games, and Way Walkers, and other authors who don’t do this cause they don’t yet see the livelihood in it.

Otherwise, we’ll remain far too dependent on people with day jobs who take years to finish a game.