How does COG/Hosted games pay? through paypal?

Is there any other way because I live in a country where paypal is not available.
Does COG support wire transfer?

1 Like

If you live in a country that doesn’t have Paypal, you probably live in a country that doesn’t have a tax treaty with the United States. If you don’t live in a country with a tax treaty with the United States, we probably can’t publish your game.

What if you want the game published but you don’t want the money? Would they still publish it?

This is a business. It costs us about $1000 to publish a Hosted Game. We have to sell games in order to recoup those costs, and then after that maybe earn some money to do things like pay our rent, pay our taxes, and feed our families.

Because we’re a business, we cannot accept work for free. We have to compensate you for your work. Not paying you is against the law.

If you want to publish a game for free, I highly recommend Dashingdon’s website.

1 Like

oh man that is a serious bummer.

You can see here a list of countries (from 2011) that have income tax treaties with the US.

http://www.rumbaklaw.com/resources-and-tools/us-federal-tax-resources/countries-with-and-without-income-tax-treaties-with-the-u-s/

ok so my country has the tax treaty with US but has no paypal

:confused:

From what I glean from the explanation, anyone can write and host a ChoiceScript game on their own (hosted by the author somewhere) for free. You just can’t release a commercial game using CS without license from CoG.

You can ask to get a check mailed to you. That’s what I do.

seriously? is that possible?

No, I can’t mail a check to someone in another country.

What country do you live in qsmrf?

Pakistan…

So, yes, in theory, I could wire the money to you. But wires themselves cost lots of money, so I’m going to opine that it’s not worth it to you.

oh man :frowning:
cant u deduct the amount from the amount i will be potentially getting lol ?

Well, sure. But how much do you think you’re going to be getting? While some people are making thousands of dollars of month in HG royalties, most people are getting less than $75, especially after the first three months.

Hosted Games is not a get-rich-quick scheme. And, to be frank, most authors from non-Anglophone countries do very poorly (@Goshman being the one exception).

So, think very carefully before you embark on this.

1 Like

OK 2 questions.

1. Lets say i may less than 75$ and im due to be getting my payment, can I ask for that payment of mine to be put on hold while I (potentially) make some more amount? so that the payment could be sent with all the expenses deducted from it

2. Why do you think (in your opinion) people from non-Anglophone countries do poorly? and where is goshman from?

I don’t like complicated things. What you’re asking me to do is complicated. And once I start doing it for you, then I have to do it for other people.

I have better things to do with my time, like work on my own games.

If you want to write a game for us, then form an LLC in the United States. I can pay a US LLC without any problems.

ok bruh
calm down
:smiley:

That is not how you reply to someone that is trying to help you.

7 Likes

Just so you know…authors don’t write games just for the money…most authors like to write as a hobby and you could think of the money as just a benefit from finishing. Most of that money usually just helps cover the past expenses such as cover art and such anyways( atleast I would think so ).

2 Likes