Honey and Fire (TEMPORARY HIATUS - New RO added)

thats so evil lol now I’m just dying lol

1 Like

Silly thought, but… what about adding a blank stats page, so it won’t get stuck trying to load a page that doesn’t exist every time I forget someone forgets your warning and clicks that button anyway?

It wouldn’t need to be completely blank, if you’d prefer to put something like “Coming Soon…” instead.

3 Likes

@Minnow I’m so sorry. I do shit like that all the time lololol

Actually, I just updated with the stat page! it doesn’t do much (well, the only two choices in the demo actually do something now but still not much) but it should remove the infinite loading problem. And you can now see the ROs’ first names, so there’s that.

Oh! That said, I have a question for everyone. I currently have two stats for “Confidence/Shyness” and “Bravery/Cowardice” but I wonder if i should just have one and have them kinda encompass what the other means as well? Because they’re not exactly the same but they feel really similar, so I keep flopping between if I should keep both or remove one. What do you guys think?

humm…not sure if ‘bravery and cowardice’ would apply…

I mean , unless the dialogue is really really mean Coward ? if you mean someone who is too afraid to fight or have more peaceful tendancy (as in rather talk your way out of violence , thats not coward ) .

well I like confidence-shyness better anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Keep 'em separate I say. There is enough of a difference between being shy and a coward or brave and confident to justify having both!

The little bit that is here has my very intrigued, and I’m really looking forward to reading more!

Real minor grammar error (and I mean minor) I’ve noticed: you’re suppose to capitalize the first letter of a quote after a comma. So for example:

After a second, she says, “not really a problem, I just… I think it woke up for a bit there.”

“Not” should be capitalized there, “Are” should be capitalized as well in this quote here:

Shaking his head, he replies, “are you sure? How could it have woken up already?”

Would it help if you traded “confident” for “outgoing”, to give pairs of Outgoing/Shy and Brave/Cowardly?

Although it might be worthwhile to use both pairs as they naturally flow into the story until you have a chapter or so complete. Then you can go back and count how many times each pair found a place to fit, and if one of them just… never really has anything to do, you’ll know to axe it.

2 Likes

@JMH I have no idea how dialogue tags work anymore. I fixed it, thanks~

@Minnow @E_RedMark I might change cowardice to fear instead, as maybe cowardice sounds a bit insulting and fear can mean different things while still being kind of an opposite of bravery. As for changing confident, actually that might help create more of a distinction between the two stats, so I’ll try that!
I’ll probably just leave both for now and see what happens later.

2 Likes

lol yeah , actually fear sound better . where coward…sound rather insulting .

We get to see a little bit of the magic of the world at work in the WIP so far, does the MC get to learn/use any magic as the story goes on? I mean I being a dragon trapped as a human is pretty magical itself, to be fair,

@JMH You do have your own brand of magic, in a way haha. A couple of the ROs tho will be able to teach you a few new skills. (Believe it or not, Day is one of these helpful characters) Oh, and friendship is also an option if you don’t want to date someone but you do want their magic lol.

That’ll have more effect later in the story, though. Right now, there won’t be much focus on combat and stuff.

4 Likes

but…

Summary

doest the fact you are in human shape…mean…your power are either weak…or no-existant , depand on why we are ‘human’ ?

Thanks for the answer, sounds great!

I’d say, depends on what you’re going to do with 'em. Of course similarity is bad in design since your players will have to puzzle out which stats which.

If it’s not a secret, why did you spoiler it? :confused:

But more importantly, is he cuter than Day?

Also, why not replace “Bravery” with “Foolishness”, so both are insulting? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Because we are a MESS in this household!! Aka, I don’t know why. It felt right at the time.

Is he cuter than Day? Tbh, my gay ass thinks they’re all pretty cute, so I don’t know if I can rank them. :rofl: Do you like snakes? He has a snake. Day dual wields I mean, has dogs. So maybe that’ll help determine who’s cuter.

Hmm… Either way you go, you’re being judged, personally, by me, the author.
That sounds like me, yeah.

That’s why I was feeling stumped. Nothing’s set in stone yet, so I’ll just have to return to this dilemma when I’ve written more and have a better idea of what stats are going to be used.

1 Like

Well… snakes are certainly cuter than dogs, so yeah, he’s in the lead. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :snake:

1 Like
Summary

I’m joking lol. I like both snakes and dogs (and the fact Day’s boys are Rotties makes them even more endearing to me personally.) Still, I think you’ll enjoy Zenos and his snake itsnotadirtyjokeitsnotadirtyjokeitsnotadirtyjoke

7 Likes

Oh I forgot to answer @E_RedMark I know I said I’m not keeping it super hidden, but I’m still trying to not to confirm or deny exactly what the MC is (even if it’s obvious a large portion of it is. Dragon), so I’m not sure exactly how to say this. Your body right now seems human, yes, but… weakening you is not the reason for that. Basically, at the very least, your magic ability isn’t compromised. I think that’s all I can say atm haha.

1 Like

This is really good! I often find it hard to read through wips recently cause of the writing styles and stories that just cant hold my focus. BUT THIS! I stopped multi tasking uni work just so I could get a good read of it!

I hope you keep it up! :smile: I haven’t enjoyed a wip in awhile (and I read all the beta games) so great job!:grin:

1 Like

I love it!

I love it for three separate reasons, actually. There’s the obvious comedy aspect of course. “Oh noes, the author is judging me!” and all. On top of that, the stats will reinforce that like real people, the MC has flaws and imperfections, and like real people, the MC can work around those flaws but not eliminate them. Those are both wonderful things!

But also? Fear and Bravery aren’t actually opposites. A stone isn’t brave when it has no fear of an approaching bulldozer. A tree isn’t brave when it has no fear of an approaching chainsaw. Bravery only happens when you’re terrified near out of your wits, but you do what’s needful anyway. You must be afraid before you can be brave. Otherwise, you’re either fearless, foolish, or both.

2 Likes