Hollowmoon Valley (WIP 8/28/20)

you hug the mirror. the mirror hugs you back. what then?

12 Likes

It’s the start of a horror movie. Or a love story. Your choice :joy:

9 Likes

@khzma Thank you thank you! I don’t have a tumblr for hollowmoon, but I’ll try to get one set up in case it might be easier for people to ask on there :slight_smile: And I’m glad! I’ve always loved how a lot of cog authors give so much variety, I wanted to try doing that as well :smiley: ps Al loves you too, pls give them lots of hugs as well, they need it

@Wolfie Salty mirror would be very happy with hugs! but might want to trap you in the mirror as well :eyes: it really could go either way lol :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

For some reason, I am unable to edit the original post so I’ll just put this over here instead:

It’s empty at the moment and I’m starting school again soon, but if it’s easier for people to ask (especially anon) then tumblrs an option now!

-The mods are super fast! Initial post has the link now :smiley:

6 Likes

Oh man this looks AWESOME! I’m here for all the farming urban fantasy games. :smiley: I didn’t have time to play the full demo yet, but I enjoyed chapter one and can’t wait to see the rest.

(Also, I had the same issue with updating topics, and you have to earn the ‘regular’ badge before you’re allowed to do that, just fyi.)

1 Like

I’m crying that there’s an option to just take a shot of vodka and go straight to bed :joy: I love my socially inept alcoholic MC already :heart: looking forward to more!

2 Likes

@Raebrown
Thank you :smiley: I hope you enjoy the other two chapters as well! I originally wanted to have Mc be able to farm too, but then I was afraid that I would just make it into a farming sim at the point lol.
And awesome thanks! Yeah it took me a bit to figure it out, but a mod fixed that problem thankfully :sweat_smile:

@spiriter
Ah, my favorite type of Mc with the best type of coping mechanism, 1000% nothings wrong, everything’s fine… :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

LOL I can’t wait for the drama :eyes: heal them Isa :pleading_face:

1 Like

@spiriter
Isa’s got plenty of antabuse for Mc… and plenty of tea. Hope you like tea time :tea:

2 Likes

Hi, just trying this WIP but what is your reason to use first-person narrative?

I’m just curious because most CoG/HG stories use second-person.

1 Like

@lynossa Heya, thanks for giving it a try! To be honest, I started this out in second person too! And re writ all of chapters 1 and 2 to change it to first person lol. I felt that I was repeating certain phrases too much and I thought that hey, if I the writer was getting sick of it then what about the readers? So just basically for flow and variety I changed it to first person.

3 Likes

I personally hope we can get turned into a werebeast or vampire. Supernatural hunter turned into a supernatural being themselves. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

AH, the potential angst for that would be so :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand: I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the future!

4 Likes

Just wanted to say great demo like all the choices we get and you have a great profile pic it’s really nice and interesting

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy future updates as well :smiley:

2 Likes

Definitely will am excited to see where the plot will go and future interactions with the ROs

2 Likes

The writing is awesome and love all the characters, and how much variation there is in terms of MC responses to things, am so excited to get to play this and looking forward to seeing what happens. Really enjoyable to read and am intrigued by the world.

4 Likes

The comments have me really intrigued, but I’ve revisited this demo a few times just to meet the lack of line breaks between paragraphs and have to stop. Are there plans to fix them for the next update? I’d love to check it out when the walls of text are gone

2 Likes

I wonder if the first post in this might help you: Whitespace, line breaks, and screenreaders -- DEEP DIVE

Taking a look at your code, it looks like you’re using *line_break where you really only need to be leaving an empty line. What I mean is:

When driving in, the town seemed pretty small and I had seen nothing but brick and wood buildings and plenty of tall oak trees and other flora.
*line_break
From afar the valley seems to fold into itself like two hands cupped together, with snow-capped mountains topping off the cusps.
Very scenic, and the picture perfect mountainy town.

Is not actually going to put a real space between those paragraphs, while:

When driving in, the town seemed pretty small and I had seen nothing but brick and wood buildings and plenty of tall oak trees and other flora.

From afar the valley seems to fold into itself like two hands cupped together, with snow-capped mountains topping off the cusps.
Very scenic, and the picture perfect mountainy town.

will put that space in. To put it another way, *line_break is just starting the next bit of text on the next line, it’s not creating a paragraph break with a space.

I hope that helps and that you don’t mind me looking at the code :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Holy moly, thank you so much! I’m still new to this, so thank you so much for letting me know! :two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like