HMS Foraker (WIP)

I’ve managed to exhaust the content of the WIP, and am now going to travel back in time by playing Broadsides for the tenth time. I don’t know about Heather and Dan, but I see this as a highly suitable sequel/spinoff so far.

Is this the point where you get to chose your wardrobe? :wink:

2 Likes

The plan is about 60k or so words.
My outline only has three chapters, and 75% of the random events are already done.

10 Likes

Indeed, it’s also kinda funny because now I view it as one of those old Law and Order episodes getting stuck at the “these are their stories” point.

Do you get to choose wardrobe in this game? I thought the navy generally liked uniform uniforms. Although maybe Albion is more like the Starfleet that let Troi get away with whatever it is she wears (bad) or Captain Picard’s custom uniform top/jacket (which was kinda cool, why wasn’t it a part of all the senior officer uniforms?)

3 Likes

When you realize you need to fight Old Ironsides as an American and want to cry because you’ve seen the old girl in Boston harbor.

7 Likes

When you realize you need to fight three of Old Ironsides and you begin to sweat because all you have is a dinky 38-gunner.

1 Like

We see a Cataphrak here, who can write 10k words in an hour or so(without coding)?

Was that a correct estimation? How long you’ve been working on this game? Not including drawings and random events, just the plot.

1200 tonnes of “Free Trade and Sailor’s Rights” coming right at ya.

About two or three weeks give or take. It’s got most of my attention, but there’s still some work for Burden of Command left and planning for Lords of Infinity.

16 Likes

When you realize that you just need to run as fast as you can back to the third rate and hope you don’t die.

Bad Britain, give us Canada and let us sell things to the French.

3 Likes

Found an error: “When Foraker grinds up against her quarry with a shuddering crash, you let Mercer, your gigantic Captain of Marines go first, following only once he and a few of {pronoun_2} scarlet-clad killers set foot on the enemy’s deck.”

Edit: also “With the help of Lieutenant Simpson and Captain Mercer, you assemble a press gang in short order. With the aid of a dozen marines, they cross over to the cartel and begin examining the newly-rescued prisoners for tattows, battle scars, or other tell-tale signs of previous service aboard one of $![pronoun_2} Majesty’s ships.”

1 Like

So let’s make it clear, you are the commanding officer of 38 gun HMS Foraker, and you first mission was to hunt down and capture a heavy frigate, right?

Lol seems like we will be hunting this world equivalent of the USS constitution?

well here’s the problem: old girl Ironside has 52 guns, while the ship that MC was tasked to catch was 44 guns, so it might be something else.

True, though if I’m correct there are worse things roaming these waters? (Only just now working through the wip I’m just talking ahead of time in excitement lol)

USS Constitution was rated as a 44-gun frigate, but she regularly carried 50+ guns because rates refer to the number of guns the ship was designed to be launched with, not how many she carried on a given assignment.

5 Likes

So why did the Yankees give old girl here another extra 8 cannons? For what? An even more heavier broadside punching power?

2 Likes

Maybe they just really wanted her to have more guns :joy:

1 Like

Or give the Royal Blues a clear message as: “Don’t you dare mess with our constitution!!”

It was a pretty common practise to load as many guns as you could if you were sending a ship into a situation were firepower was more important than speed.

38s and 44s regularly carried 50 or more guns.

4 Likes

Because they designed them to punch above their weight class. It was a classic trick to go and say we’re making a 44 gun vessel and outfit it with more on top of the stronger hull.

1 Like