HMS Foraker (WIP)

Baronetcies aren’t a peerage, so they don’t have a specific name attached to them unless there are multiple baronets with the same last name (like the Parker Baronets, of which at once point there were five). They’re also addressed as “Sir”/“Dame”, as knights are, but that honour is hereditary.

So, your MC would be Captain Sir [FIRSTNAME] Ramsey, 1st Baronet Ramsey,

2 Likes

Did you get the max wealth as well?

No got the second tier. For now the max wealth is impossible.

Also @Cataphrak missing the total guns of the Albionian

1 Like

So how many ending are there for the victories of your ending

As far as I can tell there is only one path with only slight modification possible. You have to take patronage as your main stat at the beginning and you have to have over 100 sailing combined between your personal stat and the crew.

Since the endgame is a boarding action morale and total crew are ultimately the next most important stats. I’m trying to figure out if I can save Simpson right now but I don’t think I can get fighting high enough and still capture the second tier worth of prizes.

@Cataphrak “chapter_2 line 397: Non-existent variable ‘prize’”

2 Likes

New version is up, with bug fixes and my historical notes added at the end.

It should be noted that the difficulty of the final section is based on how quickly you can get the Delmarva to battle too. That means there’s a tension between “wasting time” on things like prizes and trying to all the shiny things at the end.

3 Likes

I mean stats were leadership and fighting my crew was good sailing ability and I have the best gunner. I freed the slaves. I gave up a very fought fight to save my crew. I choose to save my first lieutenant maybe I should kill the captain right away. But I got to say This maybe my favorite ending so far I actually enjoy your bittersweet ending some more then the who raw victory.

Captain Ramsey, Bt. COMMANDING.

Condition of Ship and Company, as of April 11th, 1814.

Captain’s Record
Sailing: 35%
Gunnery: 35%
Leadership: 35%
Fighting: 60%
Patronage: 110%
Gallantry: 68% Discretion: 32%
Sensibility: 13% Composure: 87%
Currently in command of a detached squadron consisting of:
HMS Kingsport, 50 (Flagship)
HMS Foraker, 38 (Captain Simpson commanding)
HMS Albionian, 38 (Captain Bryce commanding)

Alright saved Simpson, profited from slavery, and got a title for it! Also holy patronage batman…

@Cataphrak by the way the image for the historical notes section appears to be broken.

4 Likes

Brother did you max the wealth too or Least enough?

I did. The slave ship bump got upped to 4000. More than enough…

1 Like

So you kind of got to be monsterus.

Would it be a certified true @Cataphrak game if I didn’t???

3 Likes

He never let you get away Scott clean and that’s what I love about him.

2 Likes

Minor question on the hsitorical notes, but:

Is this a separate battle by HMS Endymion, or?
http://1812privateers.org/NAVAL/president.html

Frigate duels can be quite amazingly both gory and - well, if anything is splendid in war is up for question, but the courage of those involved certainly deserve some respect…

I’d say this game does justice to that feeling as well as “What good is a game about power that doesn’t let you abuse it?”

So I wonder if it’s possible to max you’re wealth lose. And what is the difference variables of ending if you lose the fight,

No, that’s the same fight. I wrote that bit without checking my notes. Thanks for catching it.

You if you have high patronage and you didn’t surrender. Still need the slave ship deal though.

If you don’t surrender they kill you don’t they?

I greatly enjoyed it, including the “few acres of snow” reference. I expect not, but are either Coburg or Poole former Gaulish colonies? I realize this is a few months before the battles of Chateauguay and Crysler’s Farm, so it might not make sense to mention the threat to Montreal. (Though shortly after the Chesapeake was captured, two American sloops were captured on the Richelieu river, just north of Lake Champlain, and were renamed as Broke and Shannon; it might be fun to reference that in the epilogue.)

the Columbians are still cousins after a fashion. They are not Gauls, after all.

This line fits in the context of the war with Bellaroque, but it does kind of make me want some recognition that New Lothians(?) of Gaulish heritage are fighting with Albion against the Columbians seeking to invade them.

There’s no real benefit for a successful recon, and currently patronage can reach well over 100 (with the recent changes). Perhaps there should be a penalty to patronage if dispatches were not sent, perhaps a slight boost if the were sent without having done recon, and a boost if they were sent after having done recon.

Personal stats have a limited role in the game, and there are almost no opportunities to modify them. That works in this game, which is more focused on crew stats. That said, sailing, gunnery and leadership will always end up at 35, 40, 45, 60, 65, or 70. (Is it your good stat or not, and do you get a boost of 5 or 10 because you’re not much of a fighter?) That means that there’s no practical difference between a check requiring 50, 55, or 60: all of these checks can be passed by anyone who has that stat as their good stat, and only by such people.

Fighting is a more extreme version of this: everyone ends up with a fighting score of 20, 35, or 60. There are some checks that require 65 or 75 fighting; it’s impossible to succeed these checks. You may want to give some way for the MC to get a minor boost to personal stats during the game (instead of boosting the crew during training? through a random event?), or you may want to adjust some of the checks.

Also, since there aren’t currently any checks that require personal stats of 40, 45, or 70 (though some check sailing + c_sailing or gunnery + c_gunnery), there’s not much benefit in choosing “personal combat is not my strong suit.” Some significant checks require 65, but otherwise “I am a dab hand with sword and pistol” seems a superior choice. If there were a way to boost sailing, gunnery, or leadership, then a 20 fighting MC could get another stat from 45 to 50 to succeed in some checks (or you could lower a check to 45).

If the MC feigns a retreat to draw the Delmarva out, the check currently is:

*if ((c_sailing + gallantry) - 100) >= 1

That means that a character with high gallantry is more likely to realize the secluded cove is a bad option, whereas that seems more like discretion. Perhaps it should be:

*if ((100 - gallantry) + c_sailing) > 100

I think that would check whether discretion + c_sailing is greater than 100. Also, if you pass this check, it sets retreat to false, which I think is a mistake (it would make sense to get “Was he drawn out by your ruse?”).

If you issue a challenge, currently there’s no way for it to succeed if gallantry and composure are both less than 50. I think this should be changed:

To the Captain of the URS Delmarva, currently docked in Trimountaine harbour,
I mean to be straightforward, as it is the least favour one captain in the service of ${pronoun_2} country might offer another: this is a challenge to a frigate action betwixt your ship and mine…

*if ((gallantry >= 50) and (sensibility <= 50))
You set out the conditions of the contest in as cold and detached a manner as you can.

It would also need to be changed right before “goto chap_2_challenge_success”.

*if ((gallantry >= 50) and (sensibility > 50))
You try your best to maintain the appropriate level of outward civility whilst concealing subtle insults and insinuations betwixt the lines, but innuendo has never been your strong suit.

*if ((gallantry < 50) and (sensibility > 50))
At first, it seems simple to lay out the conditions of your challenge in the plainest, most unpretentious words you can, but

These should be “or”.

giving you the time to pull Shannon back out of immediate danger.

You leave Shannon where he lay. You have more pressing matters at hand.

I think this should be “lies”.

one battle-weary crew stretched thin sailing two heavily damaged ships past a hundred leagues of hostile coast.

In this playthrough, Foraker was relatively undamaged. Delmarva’s broadside fell short, Foraker manouevered to rake Delmarva’s stern, and then the MC led the boarding party. I’m not sure whether Delmarva hit Foraker at all.

I like the Infopedia endings. The stats page during those endings has the dead MC commanding the Kingsport, however. This should be changed:

*if stat_state = 7
*comment dead
*goto stat_page_3

2 Likes

If your patronage is low you are made an example of.