Highway Wars Releasing and Discussion :-)

@No_This_Is_Patrick, yes, basically you just have to deal with her (a deranged vampire…), though there should be options not to have to kill her and just let her continue hibernating.

@Eric_knight the bug should be fixed now, so hopefully it you fight Dr. Wood the only option available should no longer be the syringe (I think this really annoyed many people, judging from some reviews… as it automatically kills you in many instances). This should make this part of the game more rewarding, though let me know if you still find any problems.

3 Likes

Random worldbuilding question: where the heck are they getting the water to grow the crops to make ethanol? One would expect food production to be the number one priority, and there wouldn’t be a lot of agricultural surpluses given the climate, limited land, and the dangers of organizing large-scale irrigation when warlords could just blow up the dams. Unless they use cellulosic ethanol? But that would imply more tech than we have today (although maybe they kept the sacred biohacked yeast). Or are there trade networks to places that do have stable agriculture? Like, maybe Siberia is the perfect corn-growning land now…

Also, now that I think about it, how do the free cities feed themselves? Do they even have secure agricultural land? Certainly there’s not enough land within the city walls, so they’ll need some surrounding land? But it seems like anyplace outside the city walls is constantly being attacked by bandits, so do the militias protect the farmers and farmland as well? Which seems to be incongruous with what we saw of Zamora.

(On a more serious note (maybe), perhaps they’re eating algae. It is the future, maybe someone engineered it at some point to be economical to grow in wastewater. https://medium.com/space10-the-farm/how-algae-could-help-solve-some-of-the-worlds-biggest-problems-1fa7774a16b1)

2 Likes

After a weekend of enjoying cherry blossoms (one of the most beautiful times of the year in Tokyo!) I checked the reviews for Highway Wars… and I was surprised to see that (after what I thought was a decent start) it dropped to 3.8 in Google Play, and that it is also not doing so well on itunes either. I am slightly puzzled by this. I mean, some of the comments that I have received are (Aside from others complaining that the game isn’t free, etc…)

-“Game has MISSERABLE lag when picking options and transitioning pages. It’s entierly unplayable.” (I wonder, did this person not think that this was probably a problem with his/her phone?)

-“As someone else said the stat changes on a lot of the choices make no sense” (did others feel this?)

I can understand that many people might not give it five stars, but I am puzzled by the number of 1 stars. I get the feeling it has (in proportion) more than Tokyo Wizard, which on release was a lot more buggy and had much worse grammar… mmmmmm

2 Likes

(sorry, just to make it clear, I’m not complaining that people don’t give the game high marks, that is entirely down to my ability as a writer/game developer, I am just trying to understand better where I might have gone wrong…)

2 Likes

This im guessing was most likely due to length and some concepts we felt were not given most attention e.x becoming a vampire was something I was physiced for since the beginning but it lacked depth as it had few if any meaning options and not many scenes were we tested the powers.

2 Likes

Maybe?

Silver Tongue
      Your cunning and ability to influence others is legendary, and those who know you recount stories of how you tricked them while playing card games or talked your way out of impossible situations. However, you never really took much pleasure in getting your hands dirty in a fight.   
      *set bravery %-20
      *set loyalty %-5

Just because I prefer to solve problems with dialogue rather than killing everyone I’m a coward and an insurgent?

Or

#"Hang on, where is the rest of the crew?"

*set aggressiveness %+10
       *set navigator_relationship %-10

For me there is nothing aggressive about this question, let alone something that justifies loss of relationship.

4 Likes

Thanks for those. Looking at it I guess i am too loose in some of the changes I make to the character traits. I never really thought about this before, and it is something that maybe I need to keep in mind in the future. Anyway, I will change those in the next update, if there are any others that annoy you let me know and I’ll also change them…

7 Likes

First, a belated congrats @adrao on the release! I did buy it on the first week, but was a little distracted these few weeks so I’m only just playing it now.

(I was initially hoping to avoid hiring anybody and go on foot like this dude:
But I guess this isn’t that kind of story :sweat_smile:)

I don’t really mind taking the Bravery hit for choosing ‘silver tongue’, since it implies that I don’t use brute force as much as the typical post apocalyptic frontiersman anyway. It’s just that the word ‘Cowardice’ as a trait sounds so negative. Maybe use ‘Caution’ instead?
I do agree that the choice shouldn’t lower Loyalty though.

3 Likes

The gangs still don’t require you to decide whether you’re going to split the loot, they just have an opinion if the issue comes up.

@Pheriannath: Now now, Kenshiro had a car, a driver and a tagalong kid girl. At least until he used his brain-bending powers to turn that girl into the driver’s love slave.

(I wish I was making that up. The misogyny in FotNS is just appalling.)

@Ramidel My image of Kenshiro will always be of him walking cloaked & alone in the desert. Even if he needs a ride, the Black King is better than any mere car!

Re weird FotNS manipulations: I really preferred the first part of the manga, before Lin and Bat grew up. Raoh’s “I REGRET NOTHING” would have been just the perfect closure.

General question: is it possible to conquer the entire continent as the most aggressive/cruel/evil warlord? I’m finding it really hard to strongarm people into my army while being an all round unpleasant guy, no matter how powerful I am personally. Tips?

As the game already has Prudence/Recklessness, do not you think it would be better to replace the bravery hit for a prudence bonus? Although I still think the text should have some reference of these stats as well.

I think it’s entirely possible to be reckless in dialogue, if that’s what you mean e.g. letting one’s mouth run without thinking about the consequences, wagering beyond one’s means in a gamble etc. To me, being good at talking and being careful about what to talk about should be 2 different skills.

I asked because as you suggested using caution instead of cowardice I thought this would generate some confusion since the game already has a similar status (prudence).

@Ramidel, hopefully I have corrected that in the next version of the game.

@Adam_K, I removed those and some other stat changes at that point in the game (which could indeed be considered arbitrary…)

1 Like

Bit of a random note but I always imagine my marshal as the Rust Lord from fortnite :laughing:

3 Likes

I have been going through some of the reviews on google, and quite a few people point out to “rushed endings”. If you had to chose one of these to tackle, which one do you think deserves more work? (like, which is the most obvious “rushed” ending for you?) I’m thinking of trying to work a little bit more on one or two of the endings…

1 Like

I would say the terraform one because it was all about highway wars until those last few pages but it was an otherwise great game!!

If it’s not 100 million words for 99 cents people are going to say that it’s rushed.
It’s just a manipulation tactic to try and get more without equal compensation.
So long as you are satisfied with it then that’s what counts.

If they really want an expanded ending or different content, then let them support you on patreon, or similar.
Then they can pay for the DLC when you release it.
It’ll be an equal exchange then.

2 Likes

Every ending except for the unification war was circumscribed in a very obvious way. The Mars program got a few short scenes, terraforming recycled a single scene from the war without the logistical considerations that the war comes with, and “remain a ranger and do your job” didn’t even get that - in fact, the core mission that the game gives you is pretty much meaningless. It feels a lot like you created several possible plot threads for the ending but only focused on one.

I’m not sure fleshing any of these out is worth it, though, as a significant chunk of the game is gated behind a failure mode (the secret UN base). If you do, I’d flesh out the Mars mission, as it’s dramatically different from the rest.

…I just had an idea. If you rescue the engineer and save Burgos (either by peacing out with the Bullfighters or winning the last fight), and choose to continue as a highway marshal, the engineer will tell you what he’s heard about the secret base, allowing you to hook over into that storyline somehow. Might require some rewriting though.

2 Likes