Highlands, Deep Waters [Released]

Tried a few times, Just keeps says to keep trying until something clicks. TBH Iā€™d be careful publishing something which requires repeated tries like that without obvious signposting that you have to do it. Itā€™ll likely cause some pretty negative reviews when people canā€™t get it and quit. Even with the signposting I find that kind of thing pretty frustrating.

Edit: Ok just tried something different from my save point. The issue is, you need to try to guess a few times first and then ask people their opinion. If you do it the other way around you get stuck in an unwinnable loop because you havenā€™t gotten any hints when you try to talk to them and then when you check the code last thereā€™s no hints availiable since everything hs already been done. Up to you, but Iā€™d consider changing that or youā€™ll get players stuck without any clue of what theyā€™ve done wrong and having to begin from the start again.

Edit2: Huh weird. I thought I should have been a scholar archetype but I was using the save function to run through the different choices to check them so it must have changed it to criminal or maybe I just mixed something up at the start.

1 Like

You canā€™t visit the black kirk during the prologue, but you can see some stuff around it at some point. Thereā€™s also an easter egg somewhere that, if you go through a very specific path, you see Father Grant stepping out of it, but thatā€™s it.

Sorry about the bug youā€™ve experienced, but it seems it happened because your browser had loaded the old initial file from the game and I updated it while you were playing. It shouldnā€™t be something that happens during next playthroughs.

@valentine_v_daygirl - try running the game in a private window. That should fix any bugs from old info saved in your browser. It happens quite a bit.

1 Like

I agree with you. As a sidenote, I donā€™t even like puzzles. :joy:

Damn, youā€™re right. I think the best way to work around that, other than making it clear where the hints are, is to let the player talk to his buddy more than once.

If you still have the save, can you check your archetype at the My Stats screen? That way I can make out if thereā€™s something going wrong there.

Just to make clear, there should be:

A tip via your archetype-related bulletin board (unless youā€™re criminal)
ā†’ Itā€™s an option that only appears after youā€™ve learned about the existence of a code.

A few tips via trying to input the code and typing it wrong (up to the point where the game gives you the right answer)
ā†’ So trial and error should eventually work.

A tip related if youā€™re Scholar.
ā†’ Right at the beginning.

A possible tip by talking to your buddy.
ā†’ Right at the beginning.

And, if youā€™re a criminal(which means you canā€™t get access to help online), the game will show you the following:
(TIP: Donā€™t be afraid to type the wrong address. Each attempt will give you a new insight.)

That probably wrap things around, what do you think?

3 Likes

No thereā€™s nothing wrong with your code. It has me down as a criminal archetype. I must have changed it and forgot to put it back when I was bug checking :slight_smile:

That sounds better if you can access tips right off. If you want people to have a go at it before getting a hint, you can make people choose the email and guess the code, before the other options become selectable. (Maybe keep the line about being able to try multiple times though, so people know they can come back it it). Might also be worth while letting people come back to the option for a second go in case they didnā€™t access the hint the first time, or have another way to get the hint to avoid the lock out effect if you canā€™t guess it and donā€™t have any help options. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

How come killing and other violent actions are sometimes straight up not available? Does my sanity have to not be high? Forgive me if this has been asked before.

2 Likes

Can you remember exactly where did this happen? Iā€™m not sure we made those options sanity based.

1 Like

@MahatmaDagon I went to a doctorā€™s house to ask him some questions. If I threatened him, he would call the police after closing the door. But if I got him to let me in, then I could ask him any questions, then, when I could leave, I could choose to kill him, or beat him unconscious. However, both those options were grayed out. Therefore, I could only threaten him, and leave.

I fail to recall his nameā€¦its not Dr. Youngā€¦

Edit: Ah, its Dr. Carter Rutherford. As you can see, the two options I wanted to consider are locked for some reason:

1 Like

@MahatmaDagon
Bug found when going to Mayberry Walk. After entering the toilet, and choosing: ā€œLook at your surroundings.ā€

2 Likes

The writing and design of the scene you mentioned were basically my doing, so Iā€™ll try my best to answer you.

This scene presents the protagonist with the possibility of beating up/killing a person who means no harm along the interaction. Heā€™s unarmed, heā€™s alone and he was not expecting the player. As a higher Sanity represents a higher degree of self-control and coolness, the player would only have the option to hurt/kill Dr Rutherford with lower levels of Sanity.

BUT.

This scene was one of the last to be inserted into the code, so we assume that there could be issues regarding the requested amount of Sanity. At that stage of the story, it could be possible that the value necessary to unlock those options you mentioned would be hardly attained during a regular (ie not intentionally choosing ā€œcrazierā€ options) gameplay. Weā€™ll look into that, for sure.

If anyone else has any report/comment regarding the balancing of the Sanity system, please tell us! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m still appalled by the fact that Lovecraftā€™s ā€œCall of Cthulhuā€ isnā€™t at the bookstore! :sob:

4 Likes

This was the first WIP I tested back when I joined a few months ago! Iā€™m glad to see being submitted.

I didnā€™t right a review cause I was shy back then. :sweat_smile: This was an awesome piece. It had everything done right with the horror, mystery, and investigation!

I hope you have a lot of success with this!

P.S. That graphic with the baby did a number on me for a few days. :flushed:

3 Likes

Thanks for the report. It was something that was added in the few days and that did not show up in any of the quick or random tests, it was a variable that was declared as false while it was tested as a number later. It should be fixed now, Iā€™ll make sure to send it along the pending assets.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a typo in one choice-
When we are digging behind the Sunderland House and find a grave of a dog the first choice i.e,

ā€œMistaken Happenā€ should be ā€œMistakes Happenā€

3 Likes

Thanks for the report!

I just played the game and holy hell it was amazing:

I think I got one of the good endings: killed the child (sounds fucked up) and killed the leader of the cult, and presented an decent case to the NCA. A question what happened to the woman Giovanna? From her meeting and the dream I thought she would have an bigger impact on the story but not in my playthrough.

5 Likes

I guess we donā€™t see much of her. If you have her number, you can ask her to pick you up after you ditch your car, but if you decide to tell her what has been going on she simply takes you for a nutjob and donā€™t want anything to do with you after dropping you at your new ā€œbaseā€.

4 Likes

So if I donā€™t tell her to be careful in the town does that mean a scenario opens up with her more deeply involved?

2 Likes

I wrote this about five months ago, so I had to go back to the code to check because I wasnā€™t sure.

Hereā€™s what happens:

You call Giovanna in the middle of the night and, regardless of what you tell her, one thing doesnā€™t change: She is seeing someone else. She met a lad and sheā€™s actually sleeping in his house. You might convince her to come and help you, but she doesnā€™t want to become a part of all this weirdness. She pays you back the ā€œfavorā€ you did her, and thatā€™s it. No romance option, no further interaction.

Now, I understand that this might be a bit of a bummer, but thereā€™s this thing that I like about subverting ā€œtropesā€ and expectations: You might have met her, but that never goes anywhere. You kept investigating, and she didnā€™t just stood there waiting for you to call, she had her own life to live.

I think this really fits with the ā€œhopelessā€ vibe of the game, as perhaps this was the most obvious attempt of the character having a ā€œnormal relationshipā€ with someone. You met her before going to Invernock, and you meet her again only after seeing some weird shit there. No wonder she doesnā€™t want to be around you.

Now, that doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m against putting a scene in there where you actually call her before all the weird shit and have a chance to at least know her better. I would love to do that one day, if the opportunity arises.

6 Likes