Heroes: Taking Up The Mantle (nowhere near done)

Alright, I’ve got it! Instead of having the protagonist start out at college, (s)he’ll start out meeting the mentor first. A little bit of information about the mentor will be revealed here as you go through the first fight scene and establish what your powers will be. At the end of that, your mentor will remind you that the next day is going to be your first day of college, then offer to give you a ride home.

Instead of just talking about the whole Demon Guard incident, I could just do a whole flashback scene. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm… this is gonna take a while… >_>

I’d actually prefer a solid family with personalities that come into play than having the choice of my own family. Heroes Rise, for instance has the “your parents are in jail for a crime, you were raised by your grandmother” backstory, which allows for your family to have a huge impact on things.

Spiderman has Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Bruce Wayne has his parents. A lot of superheroes have issues with their parents. Giving a character a solid background with or without family members (who have or haven’t been murdered) I think actually creates a more compelling story than having just a choice of those things.

You do actually have a compelling back story in regards to the parents, that was one thing I liked. I liked that we could have siblings too, siblings who helped out. I’d rather have that fleshed out, being given a premade family as opposed to having a choice in that regards. Of course choosing how to interact with the family is the more important choice. Are you jealous, do you hate them, do you have a rivalry going, are you out to avenge and/or protect them, what’s the relationships like. Family are also fantastic for hostage situations and the like.

I’d suggest think about family and its role in the superhero genre. See if having a family that you’ve predefined would actually enhance the story more than providing the player a random choice.

Although don’t go as linear as Heroes Rise does in regards to how you react to your family. Marajade will say she hates the idea of coming from a loving family, which she loves, so the choice of being the favoured child, or the neglected child might be a better one. The choice to love your parents, or to hate them, or be fairly apathetic towards them, or anywhere in between. Those are the sorts of things that build stories. When the brother that bullied you throughout childhood gets kidnapped by the villain and held hostage, do you rescue him or decide he deserves it?

Have you played Heroes Rise?

Okay! Starting with the mentor is a good idea. Will it be some sort of active test of your powers like the danger room? Or will you be out apprehending some petty criminals, or just a training room with a dummy and the desire to actually get to practice your abilities for real?

That depends on the mentor, actually.

Red Archer will be apprehending some petty criminals. Spirit Guard will be responding to a building that’s on fire. Iron Knight will be rescuing a kidnapped victim. Silver Speedster… I have no idea yet. >_>

Also, don’t worry. I’ve definitely got plans for the siblings. :stuck_out_tongue:

@DragonTrainer13 I have an idea for Silver Speedster, he’s stopping a gang war.

@FairyGodfeather you know me lol. Yes having a lovely family to care its something i hate; but maybe your parents are supervillians in jail captured for your favorite hero. And i like the mentor idea whatever you do please don’t be totally linear

I liked this demo and it was fun to see parallels to actual comics (like Red Archer and Dr Rog being like Green Arrow and Prometheus). That said I’m not sure it it would be infringing copyright to let players select from predetermined names like Peter Parker or Zatanna Zatara. Mind you, you have some good background. I like the different jobs for your parents, though it would make more sense if they were alive and have more impact. Otherwise great!

@derekmetaltron has a point, that may be an issue… However I found it highly comical that I could make my character’s name “Clark Stark” :stuck_out_tongue:

Anywho, intriguing game! I’ll definitely be watching this one

What, DC owns the right to the name Peter Parker? Beside, I doubt they’d bother suing, no one is gonna turn millionaire from this game.

I am totally shocked @Drazen did not like the unconventional family setting. The mind boggles.
While I did like being able to choose the family, as well as the background story of the parents, I agree with @FairyGodfeather that the way you interact with them is more important. It doesn’t have to be super complex - but siblings can be a huge impact on you when you’re young, so there definitely should be some basic choices there.

Also if you had homosexual parents, you were probably bullied as a kid, thus a complex hero motivation and the good old ‘do I save my bully or let him cork’ scenario.

@derekmetaltron At first I was going “who’s Prometheus”. I had to look him up on wikipedia before I remembered Cry for Justice. I was definitely not going for that parallel, but hey… happy coincidence? >_>

I may decide to implement a part where your parents are still alive later on down the line. They’ll definitely be alive if they were criminals (option cannot be accessed yet).

@Jackrabbit Oh no! You committed the gravest of sins. Peter Parker is Marvel.

@DragonTrainer13 Well that was the first instance of a hero killing a villain I recalled off my head. Anyway, I wish you luck with this, I do actually have a super hero game of my own in mind but I reckon it’s more than different enough to this one to share with this or Heroes Rise.

@FairyGodfeather I was right then, DC don’t own the name!
(Also, DC and Marvel are 2 different things?)

Eh, I confess to knowing absolutely zilch on super heroes. Was never into it, could never remember anything about it. It’s all soccer to me.
But considering I highly enjoyed Slammed despite having watched wrestling since I was 7, I figured I shouldn’t let it hold me back.

@Jackrabbit Yes. :slight_smile:

DC and Marvel are the two big comic companies. It’s like confusing Star Wars and Star Trek. :slight_smile: Some comic book nerds froth at the mouth when you get them mixed up.

DC is now owned by Warner Brothers and has Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and the Justice League.

Marvel is now owned by Disney and has X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spiderman and The Avengers.

There, now you know all you need to know. It gets even more confusing in regards to the films since different companies own rights to different marvel properties so you’ll never see Wolverine, Spiderman and the Avengers in the same film.

/note to self: Star Trek =/= Star Wars

I should think Wolverine + Spiderman = someone getting slapped. Ya can’t sic a hipster on a grouchy old man like Wolverine!
Haha, so the two big comics companies are owned by Hollywood? Good luck, comics fans.

Hehheee yeah Star Trek is not Star Wars.

And yeah… although can’t say I ever particularly liked Spiderman or Wolverine, or Batman or Superman, for that matter.

I guess I am one of those frothing comic nerds (the kind which fan raged when Spider-Man agreed to a deal with Satan or casting Ben Afleck as Batman) but really are nice in the long term.

But as FGF said, DC is Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Teen TItans, Challengers of the Unknown, Doom Patrol, Aquaman, Zatanna, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Joker, Lex Luthor, Sinestro, Anti Monitor, Giganta, Solomon Grundy, Two Face, Mr Freeze, Gorilla Grodd, Circe, Toyman, Darkseid and more.

Whereas Marvel is Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Captain Marvel, Hulk, She Hulk, Spider-Man, Spider Woman, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Doctor Strange, Nova, Silver Surfer, Namor, Emma Frost, Wolverine, Rogue, Magik, Quentin Quire, Storm, Cyclops, Thing, Human Torch, Magneto, Doctor Doom, Mr Sinister, Green Goblin, Scorpion, Mysterio, Doctor Ctopus, Molecule Man, Super Skrull, Mystique, Enchantress, Loki, Kang the Conqueror, Ulton and more.

They each have a lot of comic events, movies, cartoons and more.

In honor of Ben Affleck becoming Batman I’ve been listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsPrQgTO0HU

I don’t particularly care for DC. I’d have said I knew a bit about Marvel but I didn’t recognise some of those names of yours. It was usually Xmen I read though.

I think comics have the problem of they just go on and on with no real beginning and no end in sight either. That’s one of the reasons I appreciated Christopher Nolan’s Batman Movies, he had a clear story-arc, with a set beginning and end. Usually they wring a franchise of all the money they can get out of it and it doesn’t get a proper end. And the sequels tend to get worse and worse quality until you end up with Batman and Robin.

I do like the whole outsider dynamic of the superhero genre. The having a secret which you can’t tell anyone. I like the human impact that great powers might cause.

I liked the TV series Heroes, in the first season, mostly at the start, although I think it had too many episodes, too many characters.

I like the game so far. Keep up with the good works!!!:slight_smile:

Okay a few issues I noticed. I chose a scientist father and a CEO mother, so apparently in this game my parents had the same last name before they met since my mother was CEO of Parker Industries while my father worked for her as a scientist.

And something in the game implies it’s only 25 years since world war 2 ended, so the game is set in 1960? A 1960 with female CEO’s building space ships? Not saying that’s a bad thing but that implies a setting in which we can’t take anything for granted.

Are racists still bothered by people with different skin colors or has all that shifted to “Earth for humans only!” and the “mutant menace?”

Was Joe Mccarthy the leader of the super registration movement?

Does the car my character's big sister drove him to college fly or drive itself?  Or is Reed Richards useless as ever?  

Do aliens have embassies on earth?  

Do armies and the policre shoot people with laser blasters like GI Joe?