Heroes Rise: Why so unpopular?

Maybe his want for power was to be able to regulate the powereds on more than just a local level? I don’t know. I definitely could be wrong though. Like I said I haven’t played in a while so sorry if I’m totally wrong.

To me he didn’t seem to care all that much since he left the super villains running around.

1 Like

Well they are useful to push an anti-powered rhetoric. Its all about the end goal of nation wide powered regulation. Use the super villains as examples of why powereds are dangerous and all that. It’s brutal and a bit unfair but is undoubtably effective.

The original series was not too bad. Kinda railroad-y, somewhat preachy but it was enjoyable enough. The Legend system ostensibly rewarded you for acting like a hero should but somewhere along the line it became a means by which you were judged on your activism in the second trilogy.

I think most people it on the main problems, the railroading, the activism so here is my own two cents beyond that.

In the first trilogy, the plot makes very little to no sense and has huge tonal shifts. More strikingly, it takes the conventions of comic book heroes (of which the readers of the game are probably passingly familiar with) and upends them. From trying to become a hero in the first book, you go on to become a reality TV star in the second. A reality TV show that was meant to assemble this world’s version of the Avengers (pardon the pun) or the Justice League. This very premise is both ludicrous and utterly lacking in anything resembling, you know, HEROISM. It is well known that reality TV encourages Machiavellian plotting to do well in. Why in the world would anyone want such people to protect them?

Then the third book hits, you get to romance your very own Moriarty and the Man wants to take you down because you can demonstrably stop nukes. Take a moment to think about this. Rationally, any infini-powered individual is a walking WMD. What would threatening them or bringing them to heel by force actually accomplish? Best case scenario, all of them leave for less totalitarian states. Worst case scenario, an insurrection by people who can blow up the White House by thinking at it hard. That is why you had to be depowered but you know, that was experimental technology. If the villain had tried and the stuff did not work, he would be a char mark on the floor.

Reasonably, Victon would have been able to go after the heroes first since they were the ones they could manipulate most easily simply by staging crimes. Why didn’t the villains go on a crime spree? Wouldn’t there be massive carnage once they take off the kid gloves because the police and army were killing people with powers? The backstory makes so little sense. It’s like the Purge just with regular people with military grade weapons shooting at the Justice League. This rarely ends well for the regular people.

The sequel trilogy has all the failings of the first but amped up to eleven. The ridiculous reality TV format is back. The politicking is back. The activism is now the main focus of the games. Even for someone who generally believes in such causes, they come on really thick. Fundamentally you stop acting, behaving or thinking like a superhero. In a game supposedly about superheroes, that is a problem.

TL;DR The first series has pretensions of you actually being a superhero but the second discards that almost immediately for reality TV drama. Your choices do not matter because there is only one route to the “good” ending. Oh yes, as a final “screw you” the writer basically sets how the original series ended rather than what you played in the sequel series.

18 Likes

So let innocents get hurt to push your agenda and stay in power.

1 Like

Yes. Its awful but it is effective. If the goal is to regulate powereds you need to leave some examples running around of why powereds are dangerous. If there are no powereds around or the superheroes stop them all (even if they cause lots of damage doing it) nobody will try to change things or work towards regulation. You need to give the people an enemy to fight. I agree he wanted power and did bad things to keep it but I’m not sure his end goal was entirely nefarious with it.

1 Like

Yeah it was. He did not care about the public. If the public saw the powered as a threat he stays in power that’s all he cared about.

1 Like

When did this turn to a Pro-Victon, anti-powered sentimental rally?
Diman, you’ve disappointed me.

Do you think that Victon has done this before, faking deaths, the Villian-cides were never explained, and crush says that they are a lot of good people in the void.

if there are no powered around or the superhero stop them all then it simply mean your regulation are useless and profit nobody except you

and therefor ruining people’s life so you can install them IS evil

1 Like

The moment sergi gave the bad guys a point by showing the ‘good guys’ on top of the pecking order while lamenting how they are at the bottom.

But let’s agree on this:

Hr is full of potential that waits to be used

1 Like

Can you romance Victons wife in Redemption. I might actually replay it if is possible.

2 Likes

No (Characters) you weirdo.

i’m pretty sure that you can’t

Well that could definitely be true. But to me he looks kind of like a man with good intentions but bad methods. But thats just my opinion I suppose.

@Balrog_Demorgothe
Unless the fighting between super heroes and villains causes massive property damage at tax payers expense and endangers the populace. Sacrifice the few for the good of the many and all that. Victon had a tangible reason to not want powereds running around without some regulation in place. He wasn’t inventing demons to fight.

@Axe-L-Rose
If I was writing for a pro-Victon rally I would not be as nice as I’m being now and I would be doing a lot better job conveying my point haha.

2 Likes

How many tax payer dollars went into his baby’s mama hush money?

Wait, why didn’t they starve her, she couldn’t fake that, wait a month, and done.
@MeltingPenguins
Yeah, but at least admit that it was fun to think.

None and no cause plotholes.

I think we’re pretty far off topic now and running in circles aren’t we?

1 Like

It doesn’t cause more property damage that any fight with their levels of technologie does and ‘property damage’ in no way justify ruining people’s life, you don’t even do much property damage at all

also only the supervillain endanger the populace, as much as normal criminal, so it doesn’t justify punishing those trying to stop them

sacrificing a few to your own greed to pass unnecessary regulation that only benefit you and only increase the violence is evil

no, he doesn’t, he has the tangible reason of wanting to stay in power

he was inventing demons, that’s litteraly what the whole plot was about, he took two perfectly responsible superhero and framed them just so he could bolster his political speech and make it seems credible

2 Likes

I doubt it. He saw the brutalities happening an opportunity climb the power ladder.

He framed an innocent family as demons though.

Ninjad by @Balrog_Demorgothe

5 Likes

Then again if grandmas manipulative and controlling attitude is anything to go by, are they really that innocent?

3 Likes

Grandma did seduce a police chief so his grandson/daughter could get away with crimes.

1 Like