Heroes Rise: Why so unpopular?

Why must you guys whittle on my favorite series, thinking about stuff causes more issues than it solves, just enjoy the ride.

Yeah, that is why I started to dislike her.

3 Likes

You opened this can of worms now lie in it

33 Likes

We can’t enjoy the ride if it goes through a swamp full of shit

25 Likes

I mean if something gets worse the more you think about it thats a sign of it not being all that well written or thought out.

Granted if you don’t think at all it’s possible to enjoy a lot of things.

13 Likes

If you stop smelling yourself so hard, you’ll realize that it was a chocolate paradise.

I’ll admit that was a dead giveaway that you are actually just joking/trolling.

3 Likes

Okay, how else do you rebuttal the idea that something you like is shit, or considered by others to be shit?

Meaningful arguments instead of “waaaa waaa stop being mean guys”

13 Likes

You don’t. Not sure how you’d prove to someone that their opinion is wrong when an opinion can’t be wrong.

6 Likes

Alright Gonna Edit this a lot.

I enjoyed the HR series on a page to page level, I feel that it used it railroaded nature to properly show a concise adventure, versus an amalgamation of random variables and values, it specializes, the main characters feel like characters, independent from you, but acting of your accord, the story doesn’t change for you, you change on how you react to the story.

It delivered endings that left me satisfied yet intriguied, and delivered characters that I could hate and sympathize with, including the MCs themselves, afore earlier, it was my second choice game, and I bought them all, compared to the current crop of Stat-focused, min max, writings, I like HR.

It proved itself in the reviews and the downloads, even though Star wars was run by an asshat, it still was good and popularize a lot of nerd culture.
I admit that legend is bullshit, requiring readers to act in a method that they would never know without a 1-2 dollar micro-transaction, and that HR lacks complexities, but it’s a movie-type of book, simple exciting and ready for the next.

2 Likes

Rebellion literally had no purpose in the sequel. Like you said old MC was right there making his death pointless. His death wasn’t needed, hell he wasn’t needed.
All these returns reminds me of the Prodigal return now. Where she’s a good guy, but steals someone’s else’s body.

2 Likes

This is what i mean when I say Sergi needs practice. What he’s doing here is the standard “bring back everyone for the finale” but doesn’t seem to know how to do that.

But lbr: OS feels as if he had no interest in writing it.
It feels more as if his focus was on getting the reader to that bonus chapter to advertise versus.

Which makes me wonder: if he would have asked the staff if he could do versus first, would that have been a problem?

technicaly, it was more the equivalent of possesing a perfectly well preserved body

and yeah, the old MC control both gravity AND atoms, the missils were never a danger so i don’t know why everyone just decided that what Rebellion did was ever needed (honestly, the whole final battle plan is unneeded since the Old MC can apparently just burst out a kamehameha to knock down the bad guy enough for normal Super Hero to take on, making everything that happened before dumb and unncessary, especialy the death)

i kinda liked Prodigal’s return though, it at least give a second ‘valid’ romance to the first hero rise instead of just Lucky

1 Like

Can be a dumb opinion though. Like the whole ‘if you dont think you’d enjoy it’ thing is a massive pet peeve of mine and a nonsensical argument. If you enjoy something with a ton of flaws in it fair enough, everyone has something they like and dislike.

Some people do enjoy to look back on stories and think about them though. Personally I typically find that more satisfying than actually reading the thing.

Granted I personally was never a fan of the superhero genre. In fact I never understood why it was so popular and didn’t even know super heroes were a thing till much later in my life. Yet I also hated the napoleonic era stuff but the Dragoon Saga made me fall in love with it. What a story is about is largely irrelevant, its how well written it is that does it. Least that’s what I learned over the years.

I played the original trilogy, thought 1 was ok, 2 was absolutely horrible, 3 was ok. Nothing special. Don’t really see why it has to be a super hero story actually. Could be literally anything and be better for it.

1 Like

There has been a thread a couple of months ago about whether or not HR is a true Interactive Fiction.
By all means, if you define IF as having to engage more than just turning the page, then yes.

But is it a CYOA? No. What you describe is the opposite of a Cyoa. It’s a game of mad libs.

What makes it grating is that Sergi DID think of other paths, as demonstrated by the choices. Just that these choices lead nowhere because it’s not the “true” path

8 Likes

I dislike the series but it really does have a lot more to it than clicking to turn to the next page. Especially the 2nd one with ease of failure and so on.

Granted I prefer interactive novels to interactive fiction or worst of all… cyoa…

Except OS.
I tested. You can start a new game in OS, spam the next button and still end with 86 legend, enough to get the bonus

Also, axe, fun fact about the original star wars:

It would have never been what it is, what gained it the status it got without late marcia lucas, george’s wife.
She did massive editing on both story and script and visuals.
Because george’s draft was a mess

6 Likes

Jeez thats actually hilariously bad. Almost sounds like a cyoa to me since those tend to just be pick a route and go for it. But for a game with attributes and so on… wow.

Makes writing a guide for it easy though. Spam next.

2 Likes

Just another probleme i have is the badly presented scale of power, it’s pretty much never clear what can any of the characters do with their power and what are the limitation and possibility, it’s a pretty big issue in Hero Rise and even worst in Versus (mostly when it come to the MC’s absorption and the weird Gods alien race)

i mean, the first one end with you stopping a nuke and you have another infini powered mentioning moving mountain with his telekinesis but then you have mere explosive being a huge threat and almost too much for the MC and guys who are just big turkey being presented as threats

i mean, all of it should be made clearer (Samurai of Hyuga kinda has the same probleme to a way lesser extend, which is funny because they also share the whole ‘you must stay coherent and by coherent i mean ‘what i think you would do after your previous choice’ even if some choice are very unclear’ issue)

5 Likes