Heroes of New Utopia (Superhero WIP: Prologue, CH1: 30k words)

I got the bad ending during my second run

1 Like

I actually got the bad ending in my first playthrough … when i refuse to use my power to sabotage the other competitors , so i end up not qualify for the recruitment … and as a result the nightmare comes true and it is the end of the world , that means the MC play major role in the future event right ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Failed the first run for me too.

Non martial artist telekinetic, and I didn’t feel it was heroic to sabotage my competitors.

Especially since I was waiting for a chance to use the powers without sabotage- enhanced jumping, grabbing background items to macguyver equipment, that sort of thing.

4 Likes

im angry for one reason. i cant control time so i could fast forward to the point when this game is out.

4 Likes

You can win the run without sabotage. Just pass the mental test and win the sparring match and it will be enough. If you pick the person you can’t recognize (starfish) and fight him seriously you get an instant win, if you let starfish win by taking a dive The Shield himself will be impressed with you and accept you regardless of your other performances.

2 Likes

So, I finally got around to reviewing the game. My opinion is like most other people; I greatly enjoyed it and look forward to future updates, but I still have problems with it. Specifically, the race track and the questionnaire.

The race track feels…off. Yes, there are multiple outcomes (win without any effort, win regularly, barely win, lose) but it happens with very little input from the player. You just pick a power; if it happens to be speed, strength, gadgets or constructs, you win. Otherwise, either take the “trophy” choice earlier on, sabotage your teammates or lose. I guess if you’re trying to show that there’ll be a difference in the usefulness of a power depending on a situation, then I can let it slide. But for now, it still feels odd to me.

I’d talk about the questionnaire, but my complaints are mostly the same as everyone else’s, and I’m too tired to formulate any more basic sentences right now.

But yeah, other than those two problems I greatly enjoyed the game. Keep it up.

3 Likes

I did pass first time, but I get the feeling that the energy constructs are a little OP… I mean, they let you pass the first test without any input, and then give you an easy answer for the second test. After that, it’s down to the personality test (which is more luck than anything else), and the fight. (I chose Eidolon, on the grounds that the most obviously superpowered recruit might have the most trouble fighting without his powers, but I have no idea if that actually helped… :sweat_smile:)

That said, I don’t really think you should nerf the energy construct power, but rather buff the other powers until they’re equivalently good. Honestly, I’d say that letting the player choose the MC’s power is not a good idea, though, mainly because of the difficulty in both balancing the powers and keeping them obviously unique.

1 Like

The construct power should be quite powerful, I mean if I had to choose a power in real life I’d choose this power easily.
Think about it. If you master this power you could craft force fields that protect you from anything, craft guns with unlimited ammo, craft wings that let you fly with extreme speed, craft a mecha arm or something with super strength. It’s basically like the technology power but a lot more OP as you could do it with your thoughts alone instead of getting equipment.

3 Likes

Agreed. Energy constructs are inherently overpowered (and awesome :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ). But I do feel that the game should strive to balance all the different powers, to make it fun to play whichever power you choose.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking of starting constructs with more of a firm niche (like weapons and armor, which I think I even say at the start) and then allowing for more esoteric uses such as wings, etc etc. Because power progression is something I want to work in.

It’s a pretty rough idea, yeah, allowing the player to choose, but I think it’s doable if you establish initial boundaries and slowly increase them, particularly if the player chooses to increase that stat. Otherwise, I think you end up going with ‘you have every power, but there’s little consistency in how/when you apply them’ like with Heroes Rise’s infini-power concept, or (and I may be misremembering here) CCH where you don’t have one at all.

Balance (conceptual and or numerical) is the tough thing, but the advantage is I can do as many balance/editing passes as I need to make the various powers feel equitable. That’s basically my roadmap – draft, code skeleton, working concept, then honing it.

@Frogs – me too! One of my other ideas is a whole game about hardlight powers. I’m still on the fence about having it in HNU simply because of that.

2 Likes

Also, as an aside, based on what you’ve seen in Ch 1, who are the two ROs who most obviously piqued your interest? Basically, who were the two you would want to learn the most about, if you had to choose?

bam

i’m really excited for this project!

2 Likes

The first person who instantly got my attention was Roulette. She seems like the type who would have a chill/carefree personality, which I absolutely adore. Her superpower has something to do with chance/luck, which is something else that I instantly adore, so that only added to the adoration.

Eidolon is also another character who caught my eye. It was mostly for pragmatic reasons; someone with super strength, invulnerability and flight is surely a strong ally. There’s also some dialogue which shows that he might have a bit of a superiority complex, but the little interaction you have with him when you bump into him as you’re getting food suggests otherwise. I wouldn’t call them RO material, but I’d most probably pick them as my partner.

5 Likes

Dynamique and Roulette, who attracted me for basically opposite reasons.

2 Likes

Roulette and Aphelion

1 Like

Im very intrigued by the minor things for example how if you went to martial arts tournament you can actually remember you saw Aphelion there.

2 Likes

Roulette and as a second option, I am not to keen on any of the others but maybe Dynamique or Alphalion. Eidolon is simply too full of himself to be of interest.

1 Like

That does make more sense, yeah. :thinking:

Which surely means CCH has the most consistency in its powers? :smile: (I understand one potential route in part 3 will have the MC gaining powers, though… :thinking:)

I would say “Aphelion and Eidolon, because they’re male” but honestly, Eidolon seems a bit too self-obsessed, so it’s just Aphelion for now, and I still know almost nothing about him. :confused:

2 Likes

You’re mistaken.

I failed the run because I didn’t sabotage, got sent home with no more tests, city dies in fiery holocaust.

7 Likes

Oh you’re right I just tried it with electro magic. Apparently you can only advance if you sabotage once.
If you don’t sabotage at all you won’t be one of the first 24 to make it and have to go home.
By the way I found a wrong line:
It looks like a hard climb, but that’s only to candidate with your particular use for creativity.
It should be to a candidate without or to the candidates without

3 Likes