Heroes of New Utopia (Superhero WIP: Prologue, CH1: 30k words)

As it turns out, yes.

This part seems wrong by the way (it should be the opposite, >50 traditionalist for villains and <50 for status quo.
The Shield asks, “What is the greatest threat to Utopia City?”
*fake_choice
#“The villains who endanger our way of life.”
*if traditionalist <50
“The villains who endanger our way of life,” you reply, sounding sincere.

The Shield nods.
		*goto personality_q_3
	*else
		*set lies+1
		"The villains who endanger our way of life?" you reply, but after a brief pause. The Shield seems to pick up on it.
		*goto personality_q_3
#"The status quo."
	*if traditionalist >50
		"The status quo," you reply, without a moment's thought.

The Shield nods.
		*goto personality_q_3
	*else
		"The status quo… I think?" you reply, but you're certain that's not the answer The Shield was looking for.
		*set lies+1
		*goto personality_q_3
1 Like

In the lobby, you see shapes and hear voices, but a lot less than there had been at the start of the day.

It takes you a second to realize that it is the members of the group you sparred with. All except Starfish, at least.

Never met anyone named Starfish.

She wears a leather jacket emblazoned with a variety of patches. The black leather is worn grey in places. Her dark jeans, too, are just as worn and presumably beloved. It’s a pleasant contrast to her blue eyes and warm umber skin.

Supposed to be “amber” skin?

“Eh,” Roulette begins, dragging out the sound. “I don’t think I really signed up as much as I was conscripted, you know?” You stare at her a second, and she continues, “But I’ve turned over new leaf, trust me.” The night goes on. You find yourself thinking about Roulette.

“But I’ve turned over (a) new leaf.”

Enjoyed the demo, except for the questionnaire.

2 Likes

I think it’d be better if it was just the same as the other gender choices except “person” instead of man or woman. Right now it looks very separated from the other options, when just leaving it neutral among the others would seem a lot more normal.

I enjoyed playing through the demo, and I’m excited for more. My main issues are basically everything @ParrotWatcher said above–although I’d double down on the choices feeling unintuitive. I tried to play my character consistently but it wasn’t always easy to tell what the game would consider consistent. Stuff like the brawl in the circle and the question about mental prowess–since there aren’t really skill stats, I felt like I was more guessing than making informed choices. I like the way the stats look, honestly, and in theory I like making physical/skill choices based more on how my character acts than what they’ve been grinding (charging vs holding back instead of punching vs tackling) but that does mean that you’ll have to kind of work harder to make sure it’s clear what action correlates to what personality stat

4 Likes

Umber is a pigment used in fine arts painting. While it could be a typo anyway, it’s probably correct as written.

7 Likes

I swear, I’m just a sucker for a promising WIP involving superpowers. I admit I’m not familiar with your published game (must have just flown under my radar somehow), but I’m definitely interested in this.

2 Likes

Is that a red letter media refrence?giphy

4 Likes

I’d really suggest you make the personality test modify the personality rather than being tested against it, that seems the easiest solution to me story wise.

Why is the telekinetic limited to sabotaging others rather than helping themselves with their TK? That just seemed odd.

Wouldn’t it be natural for a gadgeteer MC to want to talk shop with the fellow gadgeteer?

5 Likes

Take your time. Just dont give up on writing great games.

4 Likes

4 Likes

What’s the gadgeteer powers? Is it super intelligence or simply technomancy?

Anyways, nice WIP!

1 Like

It’s interesting I love having super speed can we go back in time that would be cool

“And a disciplined room reflects a disciplined mine,”

Just wondering… should it be “mind” , instead of “mine” ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And hydrokinetics, maybe?

2 Likes

I hadn’t played with those options yet at that point, but yes, if someone can manipulate their rivals to mess them up, then logically one could manipulate themselves or their environment to enhance their own efforts too.

4 Likes

Goodness me, that was delicious. :hugs:

What a massive amount of work it must be, doing all them powers and stuff. Please keep at it, beneath all that sand we all got now in places we rather not talk about in public there be a buried treasure, which gleam we have glimpsed. :grin: :+1:

2 Likes

@Harroc – It’s a vague intelligence/creativity, geared towards technological trinkets.

@stsword @Blattella – I think Ch1 could benefit from a bit where the game talks about what the player can do with their power in the present state, and how they’ve been approaching it since manifesting it for the first time. So, that way, someone who has been working on their power can maybe manipulate the tests in a less obvious fashion. It also establishes early limits which the player can push their abilities beyond as the story goes on. We’ll see!

1 Like

@Rhodeworks Question is it possible to fail the trials and if not, why give an achievement for completing them???

It’s possible to fail. There’s a Bad End path with a few permutations. I don’t think people are likely to get it first run, but it is there, and easier to get to than the Ch1 ending ‘easter egg’ in PC.

First play through, received bad ending.

2 Likes