New Hosted Game! "Paradigm City" by James Rhoden

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

The Golden Age of heroes is over, but you’re just beginning. Will you use your powers to help the world or help yourself? Set on a near-future Earth that has been irrevocably altered by the arrival of superhumans, the world has been dealing with a radical shift in the nature of humanity. For thirty years, those with world-altering powers – referred to as capes – have been at the forefront of the world’s media. There has been heroes, there has been villains, and there has been world-shattering confrontations when those two groups came into contact. For a time, those individuals walked the world like modern deities. For a time, it was good.

But things change. Given time, all things resolve to entropy.

The Golden Age is over. The player, a member of the newest graduating class of an international academy for powered individuals, needs to find their place in this new world, and whether that place will be determined by their own hand – or by the machinations of others. Assigned to the troubled Paradigm City, it’ll be up to the player to determine whether their name becomes a byword for fame or infamy, idealism or pragmatism, and loyalty or ambition.

Paradigm City is a 110,000 word interactive fantasy novel by James Rhoden, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

• Play as male, female or non-binary, straight, gay or bi!
  • Experience your life from youth to the end of your first big mission!
  • Multiple endings, with differences both big and small! How will your actions affect the future of the world?
  • Utilize the three precepts of epic heroism – brawn, bravado and brains – to solve challenges!
  • Increase the potency of your electrokinetic superpower to overcome dangerous threats!
  • Work with a team of elite heroes to solve a mystery – your relationships with them will determine their fates, and whether you’ll learn their stories.
  • Uncover and unveil a conspiracy, or work to use it for your own ends!
  • Embrace the traditional values of the classical crusader, or embody the cutting-edge pragmatics of modern powered heroes!
  • Sixty achievements!
  • Three romance options to choose from – or don’t, and keep things strictly professional!

James Rhoden developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.

6 Likes

It kind of bothers me that you have to choose to present as male or female when you choose to be nonbinary., especially since that makes people call you gendered descriptors. Would it be possible to add a third option that modifies things like “Jeez, I remember you - you were the girl who won all those academic awards, right?” to “Jeez, I remember you - you were the person who won all those academic awards, right?”? (or “one”, or “kid”). From the looks of the code, it seems that these things are controlled by a single set of variables, and there doesn’t seem to be any narrative changes except for the variable controlled words.

1 Like

That’s actually a really good point and something I should’ve picked up on. I’ll slot it into the first patch. Thanks for the heads-up!

6 Likes

Or maybe a secret romance option…

“You see me as a girl, do you? Why don’t you come over here and tell me more about it…”

Hi forum authority please link my forum about this game to this one , afterall it is his hard-work right and .To the author I didn’t mean to make a forum ,it was just I first checked​ for existing ones and didn’t find any so i created one …

1 Like

I stumbled upon a bug:

During optional mission on which we are providing distraction for Blueshift, we can prevent him from killing some guy, but right after the scene in which he lets the other guy go, we are redirected to a scene in which he kills him, I guess it’s because there is no goto after nomorder scene.

Thanks for the heads up. I was sure I’d fixed this one. I’ll investigate it tomorrow.

edit: Aaaand it should be fixed and going into the first patch.