Halloween Game Jam

Yeah, definitely!

In the last year or so I have started having files called ‘design_document’ and ‘snippets’ in all my cside projects, for all my notes, planning, and homeless prose.
It has helped a lot.

I also allow myself to jump into other projects and make notes, whenever they pop up while I’m working on another one.

4 Likes

The main reason for this Game jam, It is that we have fun and create communal feedback, have fun with Interactive fiction and learning from others. Many of the participants are for other forums as http://chooseyourstory.com/ They have created a Discord server for the Jam. I want to share the link here and cheer people to joining us there and knowing people from other Interactive fiction places.

After all, we are all writing for the same event. Please note that they are from another forum culture but all are nice people.

7 Likes

Nice. Sad that its been years since I logged in to my discord. Having forgotten my password and username, since 2k17 discord has been a foreign place tbh.

Update: Progress is coming along very slowly. At this moment everything I do seems to keep messing up what ever I have written. I feel like at this point I’m writing a novela instead of IF story :heart_eyes:

Also Question Is it fine that I seem to have the majority of my writing in the startUp file? or should I be dividing everything into smaller files, because if I load a new page other than the startup file none of it shows if I click play!.

Also How can I get someone to change my Username on this Forum?. I searched and it says to have a MOD do it for you. are you a Mod mara or @Eiwynn

3 Likes

Question. Does the game need to be explicitly Halloween-themed, or can it just be horror? I have an LGBTQ+ horror story I’ve been meaning to revamp from its Episodes origin… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It has to have something related to it. Like for example the date. You say it is happening in Halloween and that’s it.

5 Likes

Hm, I may be able to do some tweaks to fit that criteria…

4 Likes

That’s honestly the best criteria I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

This is a pet peeve of mine. I really dislike when people have any game text in their startup, instead of keeping it for variables and achievements.

1 Like

I usually put my notes in the start up file. I use the *comment function to record dates of changes made, thoughts and little notes to help future me figure out what past me was thinking.

2 Likes

Yay, this means I can go back to my original idea I had planned out! Sci-fi horror here I come!

4 Likes

Yeah. As I said mine is a sci fi too.

2 Likes

So im not supposed to have anything in the startup file
whoa. I have everything in the startup file. the codes and the writing. its gonna be hell. finding where everything goes.

2 Likes

I’ve been debating an idea for a certain story. But I’ve already got 2 people on my back ready to cancel me. Lmao

2 Likes

The main pieces of code go in the start up file if I’m remembering correctly? I’m not at my PC right now. The bits of code you want to establish that will be used in game such as stats and character relationships that can be altered with variables at a later point.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, haha

Edit: oops @The_Lady_Luck kind of mentioned that in a post just above. Observant I am not. Haha

1 Like

so like the tutorial.

Im literally trying to follow the practice. but I feel quite dumb. when I can’t even get the *label next or *page_break commands to work right.

should just write a novela at this point and give up while I still haven’t humiliated myself and dig a grave.

3 Likes

Lol This is far better than my first attempts with CS . It is normal, you will pass this feel clumsy period in a couple of days

2 Likes

Was it hard, its comforting that im not the only one struggling or have struggled…
Imaging that all the professionals masters here were once students unlike the creators.

3 Likes

I still without do well opposed pair sometimes lol.

1 Like

My main struggle with this is my attention deficiency, plus having to work around my constant energy or lack thereof makes it hard for me to get anything done.

I’ve considered recording my ideas on voice notes, because I think better when I move, but talking to myself at midnight seems a bit sus.

3 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up, I took one look at all the code and felt a little panic attack coming on, it does start to make sense I promise I’m not 100% comfortable with it yet, still lots to learn. It just takes a little practice to get the hang of the basics, that and trying to get over the initial excitement to jump into a detailed, code heavy story. Start small and work your way up. Copy and paste certain elements from the tutorial and tweak them to fit your needs if need be. For the startup page, you probably don’t want an awful lot of stats. As it will just mean more coding down the line.

4 Likes