Halloween Game Jam

Love :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Mara. Your like a master, thanks for the encouragedment.

Same if I’m being honest. I had days and I’ve only done so much. thinking that I could’ve done more. even though I do have time. but after a few minutes, my mind just does not work.

AM I dumb that I can’t find [/i] this in anywhere unless I have to copy and paste it. my keyboard only have [!] this one.

But anyways thanks for the all love and Encouragement its really means a lot. I haven’t even tried any stats. I properly won’t. thanks I’ll keep trying. I promise not give up.

5 Likes

We can only take it one step at a time. We unintentionally put pressure on ourselves because we know we can do better. But none of that matters in the end, as long as we enjoyed doing it.

Dancing to 80s citypop by myself has been an amazing stress relief, not going to lie.

3 Likes

Thats nice tbh. I’ve been replaying the same song for days now. every once a week I find an obscure song and it become my religion for that week.
my relief would criminal minds and supernatural those two junks. they help. 80’spop is fun. im just going to take a long two-day break from my writing and see if my mind starts to work right.

4 Likes

has been writing in CS for six years
still writes intro chapters in startup file :no_mouth:

8 Likes

I do so too.

1 Like

This :musical_note: is :musical_note: Halloween
This :musical_note: is :musical_note: Halloween

HaLlOwEeN
halloween
HaLlOwEeN
halloween

ahem sir this is a Wendy’s

Anywayyy although writing has been slow it’s been getting me into the spooky spirit :skull: Been going over what I have and making sure it flows nicely in my mind. Thanks Mara for the discord link, I’ll be sure to check that out next. Hope everyone’s doing well :love_you_gesture:t2:

6 Likes

I stopped doing it, because I use a lot of variables, and it was frustrating to have to scroll through.
Then when I started reading through other’s code, when betaing, I kept being confused when the first file in the scene_list wasn’t the start.
And by now I’m just unreasonably annoyed by it. :laughing:

(Also, I like systems and structure.)

6 Likes

@moonfungus
Posting this here rather than clogging up the writers support thread with my own questions. You mentioned there you’ve almost finished. How many words do you have if you don’t mind me asking? :grin:
I’ve been bumbling about with ideas and intros and the start of a chapter for the past two weeks, I’d like to get a feel for what others are going for.

4 Likes

Around 10k. I started the day before yesterday and wrote 4k that day. Wrote 3k yesterday and today. I think the endings are going to take another 1k.

Same here, I had several wars with my brain over the course of last two weeks trying to find out the best intro. Eventually settled on the protagonist and their squad being debriefed by their handler on the situation.

My brain’s still telling me it’s stupid though.

5 Likes

@poison_mara did mention I should probably shoot for about 10k in an earlier post, so I’ll try and attempt that. But holy hell, all that in a few days? Is that the norm, or was it just a divine spark of creativity? Either way that’s impressive.

4 Likes

I have more than 5k and I couldn’t write an entire week. But Each person has their rhythm, so don’t worry. My advice is trying to set up a minimum each day that can be feasible for you. My personal one is 1k every day.

4 Likes

The power of coffee and sleepless nights :joy:

4 Likes

Coming up with a name for a hotel that sounds good, and isn’t already in use, is much harder than I anticipated…

5 Likes

My advice is to go to Google Translate and translate words you like to several languages. Then you can use that language as a flavour. The Hotel owner was a Nigerian for example, that works well.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty cool idea!
But I’m afraid it’ll just make the readers assume the game takes place in the country that language is native to. :confused:

For now, the placeholder is ‘Brighthill Hotel’, but I don’t know if it will stay that way.

4 Likes

It doesn’t have to. People migrate a lot. Sometimes is a good reminder to readers that there is a lot of cultural exchange in the world. Sometimes many stories look like there is only a monolithic culture. I am Spanish but also I am Celtic and many of my family emigrated to America and North Europe.

4 Likes

I just passed 3000 words ex. commands (+7-800 of notes).

It’s not much, but considering my slow writing pace, I’m still very happy with it.

6 Likes

Try an easter egg. Like the name of one of your games or WIPs.

At least if the tone admit that.

4 Likes

Wrote 551 words for the intro today, and it’s a lot better than my first attempt.

First time picking up writing again after a tumultuous week. My sister was admitted to a mental hospital somewhere around then, and I didn’t really know how to feel about it. She’s doing better now.

13 Likes

Sorry about your sister.I pray she gets better.

Novachrome:seems my first chapter has 2300+ words which may reduce or increase after editing.
Was going for a haunted hotel setting but I may change My mind… :jack_o_lantern:

how are the rest of you doing? :jack_o_lantern:

10 Likes