Halloween Game Jam Is coming

I am thinking about making a forum activity where anyone can participate in making a small game on Choicescript or any other code language or media that allows the player choice (twine, ren’pi etc.) It could be an excellent practice for everyone and give forum members new small stories to enjoy on Halloween. Groups can be fun. This is a special call for people who are scared to start a big wip but still love to write and play interactive stories.

We are all in the same situation and want to have fun writing!

The deadline will be 31 October at noon Eastern time. The theme will be revealed 15th Aug

The poll will be open for an entire week after the deadline

23 Likes

Barring other family emergencies or other world-shattering events I’m in.

4 Likes

Welcome to the jam! Sweets hugs and cookies to everyone.

6 Likes

I might have an idea already but let’s see how well it lines up with the theme :slight_smile:

1 Like

The trailer drops hints about the theme. But I tried hard to do a very open theme, so It is okay. I really think have a theme is important to prepare jam members to something very important in the literary world; contests and actually companies asking you to write about a certain theme of genre.

Fun but a learning exercise as in this writing work the most dificult step is starting.

3 Likes

This sounds like something I would be very interested in, and I’m eager to see what the theme for this Jam will be. I have a terrible habit of trying to do a project that’s far too big for me to handle and end up stalling as a response.

With that in mind, Mara, I watched the trailer a few times. I can’t quite pin down a theme, but moods I am getting. Which is intentional, I’m going to guess. If my mind is going in the right direction, it would be a delightful thread I could weave into the story I’ve been playing with.

2 Likes

Yes it is indeed International. I could have posted the theme. But, I want people wondering and trying to follow up their imagination, and the vibes of the settings.

it also helps to people get used to contests and jams that announce aa theme when contest starts.

1 Like

I’ve done a few prompted writing sessions for a contest. It helps build upon our skills. Very useful, it is. For me, it makes me think and figure out a way to connect a few ideas into a cohesive whole. I do have an idea, but I’m looking forward to seeing if I’m right.

Wishing the best for us all!

1 Like

Tomorrow is a day I’m excited for! I’ve spent the last week pondering what the theme will be and if I am correct regarding my intuition.

One quick question. We will have roughly 2 1/2 months for the challenge. How long, exactly, is the story supposed to be? I’m wanting to aim for 30-40k, but wasn’t sure if there would be a few rules dropped with the theme tomorrow.

Can’t wait to start! :grin::grin::grin:

3 Likes

Oh darn. I’m so not ready for this.

3 Likes

Count me in! The last one I took part in had some great entries! Looking forward to seeing what the theme is!

3 Likes

The length is totally up to you and the story you want to relate. I am fan of writing short stories and I firmly believe that Longer doesn’t mean better.

So, please anyone, don’t feel embarrassed because your game will be short. People enjoy short stories too.

I hope that people would enjoy the event and use it as practice and a way to know other writers.

3 Likes

I am ending editing the reveal trailer and looking at each image frame by frame. I just noticed how difficult it is to find inclusive content images and pictures to do not professional videos. All seem to be white cis and heterosexual. I hope to do a decent job of not being hetero-normative and all-inclusive possible, but damn, media don’t make it easy.

1 Like

I have a basic outline (somewhat), and I’m aiming for 30k at the least. Overall playthrough, however, I’m thinking will be considerably less. I like replayability. As far as length goes, I guess I could say I’m planning to write many short stories that are part of one larger narrative.

I am excited for the reveal trailer to be up. I’m sure anything you use will be lovely, but I do understand how difficult media can make things when it comes to a presentation that’s inviting for everyone. I’ll be ready for when you drop the trailer.

I wish you the best of luck in crafting this Halloween’s Theme Video.

3 Likes

I am finishing last details I will post all in a hour or so

3 Likes

Closed on request - main jam thread coming soon