Guenevere (WIP)

Who’s BEG? I don’t think I’ve heard that acronym.

Now I’m picturing Arthur having half the castle rebuilt to be sheep-accessible for his new BFF and the servants looking at him like :angry: as they imagine all the mess it’ll generate.

4 Likes

Sheep poop everywhere(assuming sheep can’t be house broken) at least we aren’t dealing with goats.

2 Likes

It was supposed to be BBEG…or Big Bad Evil Guy. Autocorrect didn’t like it, though…:joy:

1 Like

I thought it was a pun on “Big Friendly Giant” that stood for “Big Evil Giant”.

2 Likes

If Arthur had brought goats into the castle not one of my Guens would ever have gotten over it. Goats might sometimes be cute and make awesome cheese but the mess they make.

That makes a lot of sense! Like Asura I thought BEG was meant to be BFG.

“Your honor, I know it’s treason but hear me out. I had to clean up after terrified sheep.”

“Acquitted. Your majesty, WTF?”

As much as I would like to blame Grimald, I wouldn’t put it past Arthur on his own.

As an aside, the sheep situation is a really funny example of the reality distortion field that power can create, and how Arthur is completely unaware of it. Like, NOBODY was willing to tell this dude how terrible his idea was, even the farmer. Nobody’s going to tell the king he’s got a stupid idea.

10 Likes

[quote=“bobsmyuncle, post:8227, topic:1996, full:true”]Nobody’s going to tell the king he’s got a stupid idea.
[/quote]

Except for Morgana and snarky incarnations of Guen. They’ll never let him live it down.

8 Likes

Except for Morgana and Guen.
[/quote]

Yeah I wonder if that’s part of the problem. Morgana and potentially Guen can call him out. Because of that I think maybe he assumes other random subjects would too. But John the sheep farmer is just going to subtly suggest that maybe it’s not the best idea, then cave immediately when the king insists.

I try to be forgiving because I remember doing dumb things when I was 20. But at least I never trapped farm animals in anyone’s house, so I got that going for me.

10 Likes

Hey everybody, just wanted to check in and let you know that I am still alive and still traveling! I’ve enjoyed reading the latest round of posts. Unfortunately all I have right now is a really primitive tablet which isn’t handling the forum interface very well, so I can’t view other people’s posts while typing a post of my own. :frowning: I apologize especially to the people who posted for the first time; usually I try to reply to everyone, but it looks like I won’t be able to do that until I’m back home next week. In the meantime, this tablet is at least letting me do some editing of my Guenevere code! Still, I’m looking forward to getting back to my real computer and being able to code properly.

41 Likes

Can you implement a save game tab? I find it easier to go back to the part I left off with a save tab instead of using game code. :slight_smile:

@Vanessa_Pang I could, but sadly I can’t do both the save tab and the passcode system at the same time. I know the passcode is a pain, but the save tab system doesn’t allow you to save twelve different “world states” and return to each of them months later, which really helps with playtesting. Someday, if/when the game is commercially available, it will (presumably) use the much easier CoG server-based save system.

12 Likes

I’ve been a constant lurker on this thread but I’m coming out of the shadows again to cheer you on Jean <3 !!! The storyline is so intricate and amazing and ADDICTING and ahhh I could go on… well worth the 10 year wait :blush:

I want my guen to be pretty loyal to her hubby because 1) he’s just a fluff ball and 2) how can you be mean to such a cinnamon roll??!!?!?!?!?! And he blames himself if you cheat :sob: I love it, because unlike other games where the main love interests give you a reason to leave, this is all on you.

That being said, another contributing factor is the thing that’s making lancelot fall in love with guen. It caused his love to seem superficial at first, and any subsequent interactions would probably leave some doubts as to whether he would ever be genuine because if I was under a love potion, I’d for sure have some resentment. The magical touch thing’s a massive + though :wink:

I’m so excited for all of the decisions that can shape such complex relationships with all the characters!!!

10 Likes

I’ll never get the cinnamon roll meme. Now you’ve got me picturing Guenevere going all Hannibal Lector on Arty.

2 Likes

That’s the only way I would ever actually like Arthur. He’s annoying.

3 Likes

One thing that I don’t understand about is how Camelot is still intact despite king like arthur😂 while I found he is cute(too cute for his own good in fact),I even don’t understand how he even still survive to be honest,judging from his ruthless enemy😶

2 Likes

Arthur’s a very good leader imo. He’s a pretty classic cut of how Arthur usually is portrayed.

Probably has the best book education in the country thanks to Merlin, also has Merlin’s personal tutelage, which thanks to Merlin’s wisdom and abilities caused him to be more open-minded and forward thinking than the average person in the setting. Raised outside of court so he grew up humble and understanding of the common person (so much so that he realizes people will treat him differently as a king). Ambitious about causing change, even though he needs more experience to implement it. Strong sense of justice and morals. Charismatic and out-going, which endears people to him and makes the believe in him.

Also, extremely, extremely good on the battlefield and with tactics, so even if his trusting nature is taken advantage of he can usually stop too much damage in time. Also courageous and his habit of going to the front lines and personal interaction with his soldiers makes him an inspiring figurehead who people feel they can trust.

Pretty classic King Arthur leader imo.

15 Likes

I DON’T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU HAVE SAID LOL. :wink: but each on their own.

6 Likes

To me, Arthur fits the bill of “too much of a good thing”. Sure he has all that going for him but his extremely naive and idealistic attitude will eventually be his downfall as well as a hinderance to everyone around him. Too much kindness can and will hurt more than it will help in the long run - might as just give away the keys to the kingdom and/or to open the nation’s coffers for any would-be robber. What baffles me is that he is a complete paradox - how can a guy with so much knowledge remain so naive and idealistic? Wouldn’t he have realized by now that utopias are just pipe dreams and impossible to achieve? And if he’s so smart, then how come he thought bringing sheep into the castle was a good idea?!

What’s more surprising is that no one in his court has even attempted to murder him, at least that I know of. Sure, as a king you have your outside dangers such as foreigner enemies wanting your riches and land, but what about the dangers that live inside the system right next to you? Friends that are double agents? Betrayals? Someone with the goal of abolishing monarchy (and pretty much the need for a national leader) would have created a big red flag for some nobles that support the system, as well as anyone who wants things to remain as they are.

If Arthur has it his way then there will be absolute chaos in Brittain as remodeling a system to such extremes in just the span of a few years means quite a few people will suffer with the changes while others will profit from it. Merlin is a wise, smart man, I’m sure he knows the consequences… so why does he allow Arthur to carry on with his goal? I’m starting to think there’s more to this story than they let on, namely that we’re actually the baddies in the end - wolves in diguise of sheep - as almost every villain in the history of villains thought themselves to be doing the world a favor with their extreme ideas and tendencies and often times were just as charismatic, intelligent and possessed a wide variety of resources and henchemen at their beck and call to carry with their plans…

If this is true then Arthur is probably one of the most brilliant, secretly villanous characters ever.

4 Likes

He is idealistic because he’s King Arthur. What is arguably the main point of Arthuriana and why it’s survived as long as it has is it represents the idea of utopia, the idea of inherent goodness in everyone, and the virtue of striving for a better, if not perfect world, no matter how impossible it might seem. And that even if that utopia like the kind Camelot becomes get destroyed, it inspires others and teaches them to continue on that path to improving, to try again.

“Don’t let it be forgot, That once there was a spot, For one brief shining moment that was known, As Camelot.” The idea of a place where people are treated fairly and with justice is like, the whole point. Even satires like A Connecticut Yankee, or more brutal subversions of the stories, still can’t let go of that idealism.

No one in his court has attempted to murder him because that part of traditional Arthuriana of inside dissent doesn’t start until Mordred and the next generation come into play. Right now everyone has fought along side Arthur in battles and knows him as a friend. Right now everything is going pretty smoothly, they defeated a rebellion in a few scant months.

I highly doubt he’s announced the idea of abolishing monarchy to them just yet. That’s meant to come slowly. For example, the point of the Round Table: to symbolically show that everyone is equal, even to the king.

Generally in Arthuriana over the years and adventures the laws are changed and lessons learned- for example, in Camelot musical they create a trial by jury. Things slowly change and the intent is they change to the point where people don’t mind the idea of not having a monarch anymore. That’s how it worked in real life- the majority of big countries in the world aren’t monarchies anymore, and the ‘nobility’ are now just the rich.

11 Likes

In some cases it was the people who forced the “not having a monarch anymore” part on the monarchy, though.

1 Like