Guenevere (WIP)

Why I see your post as yellow? You could choose background color?

1 Like

I think itā€™s a Mod privilege. To indicate that their reply means serious business.

7 Likes

Ah, Itā€™s a good thing. like an alarm. So we must return topic.

2 Likes

@jeantown Well, this is one of the better cogā€™s Iā€™ve read a while! And itā€™s not even completed.

In the available portion of book two, I saw how you wanted it to seem like a ā€œdamsel in distressā€ thing Iā€™m pretty sure you stated that doing the questions after the current end. I think that in order to make it feel more dangerous or suspenseful, it would help to make it so Grimald doesnā€™t have as much of a say over Meligaunt, so that way it doesnā€™t just seem like Meligaunt is just an asshole in general and it would also make it seem like itā€™s an actual imprisonment as opposed to ā€œSit in this chamber and we will treat you pretty much the same as you were treated beforehand but youā€™ll just be stuck with us and what we tell you, your majesty.ā€

Other than that, which Iā€™m gonna go ahead and assume it is only like that because Meligaunt is basically just a hired hand/sell-sword who just wants to get back at Arthur, I have nothing but praise for what youā€™ve written so far and I hope whatever you write in the future is going to be is riveting as what you have thus far. Good luck!

1 Like

Not to seem like a know-it-all, but ā€œconvivialā€ means friendly or fun. You raise it by dancing, joking, etc.

The stuck-up trait is actually ā€œstubborn.ā€ I canā€™t read Jeanā€™s mind, but I would guess the military and other people who value strong-willed personalities would be more impressed with a stubborn Guen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sureā€¦ The thing is, a lot of people have come up with detailed backstories for their Guens, and Iā€™d hate to do anything that would mess that up for them. In the same way, I donā€™t want to include a menu for choosing Guenā€™s appearance, because inevitably it would leave something out and thereby be more limiting than enabling. I do, however, think thereā€™s at least some room to let the reader specify a little more about Guenā€™s relationship with her father (as @OtherGrimm and others have requested). So if anything backstory-related does appear, it will probably be that.

Certain people will like Guen, and be more willing to trust her, if they perceive her as a fun person to be around. Others will be more drawn to other traits.

But tbh Iā€™m still figuring out exactly how the reputation and personality stats will affect things. I need more story to work with, so Iā€™m just forging ahead and planning to reconsider the reputation stats later.

Maybe not illegal per se, but I wonā€™t be including any really violent stuff like that. No torture etc. Plenty of stories have that kind of thing; I want Guenevere to be different.

mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha :smiling_imp:

@Seven7h Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the suggestions! Weā€™ll find out more about Meligauntā€™s connection with Frankmarch in the rest of part 2. Hope youā€™ll enjoy the future installments.

Yup. Sir Kay, in particular, would probably be more inclined to like a stubborn Guen than any other sort.

6 Likes

Well, super sword/saving Arthur. lol myGuen and Arthur have an agreement. No penises. lol

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I know what it means, lol, I just referenced it as such because you raise it by focusing on your appearance and such. Itā€™s just something I typically associate as stuck up and ā€˜fakeā€™. Sorry if I offended you! DX

2 Likes

Morgana. Always go for Morgana.

Bit of meta, Iā€™ll be damned if I let her turn into a villain, and my Guen basically hasnā€™t either a) Tried to flee back to Cornwall or b) flee to go live as a hermit pretty much because of her sympathetic relationship with her. I dunno if itā€™s the older-sister/only-sane-person in me talking, but between Lanceā€™s crazy gestures and Arthurā€™s lack of common common sense, thereā€™s an affinity there.

Plus, Iā€™m the only white mage and sheā€™s the only black mage, and since we donā€™t have a red mage we gotta stick together.

6 Likes

I went for High Sword, med leadership, high Intelligence and did the Flare on the dot. Iā€™m fairly sure that would make leading the army a bit of a cinch but since Iā€™m not willing to be RUTHLESS and sacrifice Arthurā€¦

1 Like

@jeantown
So then, before I write any (more?) wildly OOC backstories, I have to askā€¦what is Leodogrance like, personality-wise? I always interpreted him as the Tywin Lannister type myself (forcibly shipping his only daughter to marry a man sheā€™s never met, saying the wedding vow for her if she refusesā€¦for the good of the family/plus heā€™s supposed to be a brilliant strategist). Not 100% evil (Action Guen definitely had a soft spot in his heart. Ditzy Guenā€¦he mostly gave her anything she wanted in order for her to get out of his hair.), but definitely as one of the darker characters in the Guenverse.

4 Likes

Itā€™s intended to be the ā€œfunā€ stat, meaning that she has a reputation for being enjoyable to be around. That could be a genuine reflection of a fun-loving personality, or just a facade.

I guess I should give fair warning that there is no full, separate branch for Morgana; youā€™ll just get shunted to whichever branch she ended up on ā€“ but she will be grateful if you went looking for her. :wink: And as an oldest sibling myself, I too have a lot of affection and sympathy for her.

Yup.

You could always send Lancelot.

Iā€™m still wrestling with this, as Iā€™m wrestling with the general backstory and personalities/relationships of the previous generation. Hereā€™s what I do know for sure:

Leodegrance, like his father before him, had never sworn fealty to any British king. His family always valued its independence and cultivated a strong mastery of strategy/tactics, as well as trade (since Cornwall is surrounded by water), along with a big army, in order to maintain independence.

Leodegrance despised Uther, mainly because he could see that Uther maintained power by letting his own nobles squabble among themselves so that they would weaken each other. Uther also did some questionable things when recapturing British towns from the Romans, so overall, Leodegrance thought of Uther as a king who abused his own people, and he wanted nothing to do with the Pendragons ā€“ and, fortunately, Leodegrance had a big enough army that as long as he didnā€™t bother Uther, Uther didnā€™t bother him.

But Leodegrance and Arthurā€™s foster-father Ector were childhood friends, and maintained a strong relationship throughout their lives. Leodegrance met Arthur as a child a few times without knowing he was Utherā€™s son. Later, when he found out, he was surprised and kept his distance for a while. But then he started to hear more and more about how Arthur was not like Uther, and that Arthur was able to win battles while still caring about his people and putting their best interests first.

Although I do know exactly how Leodegrance ended up agreeing to a marriage alliance with Arthur (and you will too, eventually) Iā€™m still not 100% sure why ā€“ that is, what Leodegrance thought he would get out of it, other than a royal grandchild. I think it has something to do with economics, but Iā€™m not sure why Cornwall, which was financially well-off enough to maintain a large standing army, would suddenly be having economic problems. It might be pressure from the Vikings, which would make sense if Cornwallā€™s trade is sea-dependent. Iā€™ll figure it out. :slight_smile:

So thatā€™s not very specific about Leodegranceā€™s actual personality, but itā€™s just about everything Iā€™ve worked out for him so far. He does probably need to be an ambiguous-morality character ā€“ super-protective of his daughter, but also willing to force her into a marriage she may not want.

12 Likes

Pressure from vikings pushes him into looking for allies. At thd same time, Arthur (or, rather, Ector) is shopping for a bride and uniting England, which in itself could present Leo with a bigger threat later down the line, particularly if Arthur allies with the Romano Saxons or someone similarly powerful. So, he marries off his daughter to Arthur, killing off all the birds with one stone and getting a royal grandkid to boot. Does that sound about right?

2 Likes

@jeantown

YESSSS LEO DIDNā€™T LIKE UTHER. I was kind of really hoping it would end up that way. Iā€™m curious to see what Leo thought of Igraine and the whole Gorlois mess, since Gorlois is more morally corrupt here.

That makes Arthur and Guen talking about their childhoods fun to think about. ā€œYeah, my dad freaking hated your dad. He would always rant about [blah blah blah]. Anyway, pass the salt?ā€ I love, love, love stuff like that.

Even aside from a royal grandchild, werenā€™t a lot of royal marriages about preventing war in the future? Cornwall may be independent and have a large army, but Leo wonā€™t live forever and things change. Enemies team up with enemies- what if Arthur had married Corneliaā€™s kid and they joined forces, or with someone else? If the Pendragons are equals, itā€™s a good idea for Leo to be like ā€˜okay while there is a decent king, letā€™s get in there.ā€™ Better to mix peacefully and on your own terms than possibly be taken over a gen or two from now.

2 Likes

Was Uther actually a bad guy in your Camelot, or is that just how Leodegrance saw it? And if so, was he a good person but a bad ruler, or a bad person all around, or a different option?

Edit: Also, can Guen have a chance to learn about and then express an opinion about Uther? It would be especially interesting if she thinks one thing of Uther but tells everyone something else.

Edit 2: In the War Council scene from book one, Guenā€™s inner monologue mentions the differences between how Arthur runs the meeting and how Uther ran his meetings. Would that be a good place to mention Uther vs. Leo, or do you think that would interrupt the flow?

3 Likes

Lalaā€¦I am not hearing youā€¦ I have my own head canon Lala :hear_no_evil: :headphones: :wink: Really how less official stuff you add about previous events more room for role playing. Your story doesnā€™t need enter in how was the favorite doll of Guen or if she loves singing

3 Likes

@Kinruush Yeah, that sounds like where itā€™s headed. :slight_smile: It is in the backstory (as currently conceived) that Cornwall was attacked by the Romano-Saxons at least once, so a possible alliance between them and Arthur would indeed seem like a serious threat.

I honestly donā€™t know yet exactly how public those events will have beenā€¦ but I doubt Leodegrance would have any reason to like Gorlois. Iā€™ll probably keep Tintagel as Gorloisā€™s stronghold, and Tintagel is in Cornwall, so thereā€™s some important history there which I still havenā€™t figured out.

Makes perfect sense. You know, Iā€™ve been assuming all along that the agreement was that Leodegrance would swear fealty to Arthur, but maybe that doesnā€™t necessarily have to be what happens? Lots to think about. :slight_smile:

My current take is that Uther was somewhat ruthless and somewhat paranoid, which led him to make some morally questionable decisions, some of which may genuinely have prevented Britain from being taken over by Romans. He wasnā€™t evil the way Gorlois was evil, and he was never paticulary self-serving or egotistical; he truly thought he was doing the best thing for Britain, and maybe, in some cases, he was.

Thatā€™s not a bad ideaā€¦ the question is always finding ways to discuss the backstory without holding up plot progression too much. I am considering adding some options for Guen to chat with various knights on the way to the battle in part 1; perhaps Uther could be a topic of discussion.

ehhhhhā€¦ That scene is already a lot of info-dump, so tbh Iā€™d hesistate to add even more. But I can probably find some other places where it might work. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@Jeantown

Yes, please include this. I do hope that Guenā€™ll be able to chat about fighting with a sword techniques. The Ruthless Ambitious Guen is a swordswoman, after all.

3 Likes

Wow omg this thread is really long and Iā€™ve been trying to get somewhat caught up on it over the weekend haha. Sorry if Iā€™m reiterating points but I just liked this story so much that I wanted to give my opinion.
Anyway, I wanted to say thank you so much for this game! I love it so much and I honestly havenā€™t been more caught up in a COG or HG interactive like this since my first time playing choice of romance and choice of vampire.
I love how you developed the relationships between Arthur, Lance, Guen, and Morgana. Most of the time the games force you to either absolutely love or hate them right away with no in between and no changing your mind later. Plus, I love how one can just be friends and have a strong relationship. (Sidenote, I canā€™t decide between Lance and Arthur. Arthur is such a cute puppy dog but Lance is a guy whoā€™s a fun loving playboy but really cares about you. Sigh)
Also the gameā€™s writing is really strong. I feel really immersed in the world and I can project whatever feelings I want towards any of the characters. Is the genderlocking thing still an issue? Because I can see why it might be a problem, because I too, hate when games force me into a gender, sexuality, etc. that I donā€™t identify or want to play as. But I would only worry about it after the final script. Guen is already taking a lot of time and the options to customize her is good enough that it doesnā€™t make the genderlocking thing as bad as it would be.
The only thing that I hate is how long this project is going to take haha. Iā€™m kinda impatient to see what happens and Iā€™ve had times where Iā€™ve gotten really excited for a WIP only for it to take forever and then eventually stop.
Even so, Iā€™m very happy with the quality of work and if it takes that long to get it right, then thatā€™s fine. Just keep doing what youā€™re doing and know that me and a bunch of readers will always support you throughout this journey. :kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

So, since Lancelot and Morgana disagree with Arthur about the way things should be run, can we have a chance to hear what all three think of Utherā€™s rule? And for the more calculating, ruthless Gueneveres, it could be a chance to drive a wedge between Arthur and Lance.

2 Likes