Guenevere (WIP)

Well even in the framework of human reproductive biology, there is a difference between “possible” and “likely” and considering Guen’s problems to get pregnant that would be a scenario that stretchs coincidences and luck too much.

Actually, it’s far more likely than you’d expect when a woman has sex with multiple men within one or two days of each other. Nevertheless, it’s not something many women feel comfortable admitting when they suspect it has ocurred due to the prevalence of slut-shaming, not to mention any damage the revelation might do to her existing family if she cheated. Furthermore, until the advent of genetic paternity testing it was impossible to confirm with any certainty 99.9℅ of the time.

Exactly and even that it would be cruel say it loud because your partner would treat different one from the other. Or you would ending alone to raise to babies.

It’s the question how likely are twins (3% in normal population of which 2/3 are fraternal twins, 22% when in vitro fertilisiert) plus the question if they had sex with the mans in question at the right time. That may be more likely as some people think, but still not that likely. If the mother is honest about it/knows about it has no part in the question how likely it is, when the likehood of having twins already limits the probability of this specific scenario in such a great deal.

Back when Mim wrote that they wanted their Guen to give birth to both Arthur and Lancelot’s children, for some reason my mind leaped to the idea that they wanted one child who was genetically related to both Arthur and Lancelot. Now that I look again, I think that’s probably not what they meant, so apologies there. But that’s why I said magic couldn’t work that way; I meant that magic couldn’t splice genes, not that it would be physically impossible for Guen to have two children, one with Arthur as genetic father and one with Lancelot as genetic father. If the game allowed that, she wouldn’t even need the statistically less-likely event of fraternal twins with different bio-dads; she could just have one child with each at different times. The real problem is that I know if I let Guen have two kids, I’ll never finish the game. It would just be too much variation, and the final chapters are already going to need like ten variable checks for every word of displayed text. So really it’s the limitations of the writer, not Guenverse biology, preventing two children.

Yeah, the Guen/Lance baby isn’t even close to being born, but I’m already very fond of their personality (and the Guen/Arthur baby, too). I’ve enjoyed planning out the ways in which they’ll be like their fathers, and the ways in which they’ll be different.

I’m not 100% sure yet. It wouldn’t be story-breaking (or character-breaking) for Elaine to know, so definitely a possibility. I don’t think Galahad will know until he’s an adult, though – nor will Guen’s child, who will assume Arthur is their genetic father for many years. (Safer that way, since illegitimate children are super-treason.)

For that, I’ll have to wait and see what I can do when I get there. I always want to put in as much variation as possible, so it just comes down to limitations of time and work.

That’s my intention. And Guen can also be involved in Morgana’s children’s life, too.

Seriously? :slightly_smiling:

No.

:anguished: nooooooooooooooooo!!! I have such plaaaaans!!! I have files full of future-game notes and everything! You and I are just going to have to discover the secret to immortality. Or upload our consciousnesses into robots, or clone ourselves, or something.

Aspire, aspire! :sparkles: Your game will be brilliant! Just… don’t plan on doing much else for a very long time… maybe ever…

Frankly, I’m not sure yet. It will provide stat boosts. Nobody’s going to be thrilled about Guen using it, but they probably won’t stop her. I don’t think it will make a massive difference in the long run, but there are still a lot of long-run details I have to nail down as the story takes shape.

9 Likes

While the probability of twins is much less than the probability of a singlet, it’s not so rare that it would stretch believability. Most of us know at least one family with naturally occurring twins, I know several. And in a fictional story, the author can do whatever she wants, and speaking of which, that brings us to…

[quote=“jeantown, post:6295, topic:1996, full:true”]
Back when Mim wrote that they wanted their Guen to give birth to both Arthur and Lancelot’s children, for some reason my mind leaped to the idea that they wanted one child who was genetically related to both Arthur and Lancelot. Now that I look again, I think that’s probably not what they meant, so apologies there. But that’s why I said magic couldn’t work that way; I meant that magic couldn’t splice genes, not that it would be physically impossible for Guen to have two children, one with Arthur as genetic father and one with Lancelot as genetic father. If the game allowed that, she wouldn’t even need the statistically less-likely event of fraternal twins with different bio-dads; she could just have one child with each at different times.[/quote]

Very true. Two children with different fathers born during separate pregnancies are far easier to produce than fraternal twins with different fathers. That said, having them as twins only requires writing about one pregnancy instead of two, so it would cut the load a little bit. lol.

I can completely empathize with that response. And don’t mind me, I’m not actually arguing for multiple children. As a straight male, when I do play this game it’s always with Morgana as the love interest, and I’m perfectly happy with no children at all. :slightly_smiling:

Aw, @jeantown, don’t worry about us nit-picking and being mean, we’re all here for the long haul. Sorry for all the questions, we’re just getting so into it!

So, in reference to Arthur/Lance’s kid, since there will only be one, will both children (which ever one you have) and their delivery occur at the same time?

Will it also automatically reference whose baby it is?

Also…do we have a choice in who the father is? I mean, a Guen who does her wifely duty to Arthur but is in love with Lancelot…do we choose who the dad is?

And will the Guen/Lance issue be sorted out before then? What about a Guen that loves Lance but won’t have sex with him until this spell/whatever is sorted? There’d have to be something tracking whether Guen has sex with him or not then…or even if she’d have sex with him again, if she said it was a mistake. :confused:

Jeez. I’m glad I’m not writing this! ^^;

Even stating this just makes me respect you more, @jeantown, thank you for your patience!

1 Like

No, no, I like questions! :smiley: They help me think about the game and let me know what people are interested in seeing.

Yes; if Guen has a baby, it will happen at the beginning of part 4, regardless of who the father is.

My current plan is that Guen will know, or be able to tell, who the genetic father is. Other people may not. (Certainly everyone outside of the main NPCs will assume the baby is Arthur’s.)

This is one of the Big Questions I’m not totally sure about. The one thing I do know is that the baby’s father will not be randomly determined by a dice roll or anything; that would just result in people constantly restarting to get the baby they wanted. So there will be reader-controlled circumstances that determine who the father is, but I still have to hammer out exactly how. Maybe the reader will just get a choice, especially if Arthur doesn’t know about Guen’s relationship with Lancelot. If A/G/L are in a poly relationship, maybe they’ll discuss it and come to a decision together.

Yes. There will be an opportunity to remove the lust spell in part 3.

Yeah, the number of sex-tracking variables I need to incorporate is kind of embarrassing. In the most recent edit, I had to change the basic binary sex variables (yes or no for each NPC) to a number (how many times), which just made me feel yucky (it felt like the first Witcher game’s sex cards), but that made it easier to track various circumstances than having a ton of binaries – and there are already a ton of binaries. The more global variables I make, the longer it will take the game to load (in the future), so I try to keep them as efficient as I can. Even so, I’m doing everything Choice of Games recommends against – they recommend tracking things with number stats instead of binaries. The writing would certainly go faster if I did that, but it would be a much less nuanced game.

8 Likes

@jeantown [quote=“jeantown, post:6298, topic:1996”]
The more global variables I make, the longer it will take the game to load (in the future)
[/quote]

And now I’m wondering how long it’ll take when the whole thing is finished. A few minutes? Ten? Will it put the Sims 2 to shame (which took 25 minutes)?

But however long it takes, I’m sure it will be worth it to play what might be THE most complex, nuanced game ever created with ChoiceScript. :slightly_smiling:

And it’s good to know there might have been an actual reason for the Sims 2 to take so long to load (more complexity=more time)…you know, other than that the programmers are sadists and love to make people wait. :smile:

1 Like

That image… is just so damn weird. I don’t think I’ll ever imagine the reproductive system the same way again. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The image of Arthur saying “Child, I am NOT your Father” in Darth Vader’s voice just came into mind. Also, with the child in question yelling “Noooo!” ala Luke Skywalker.

:sunglasses: The Force is not with this one.

1 Like

Happy to have helped. :grinning: << picture of sanity itself

Speaking of sanity, anyone else ever get this image of the live action TV series The Tick in their head, when he leans out the window and calls ‘Arthur!’ when playing this game?

No? :neutral_face:

Does Guenevere have a breaking point? If so, what is it?

Well…I think that would be up to the player. Every Guen is different. You play her however you want - that’s kinda the point.

I’m pretty sure that as always you are right, but, what would be the difference between being rude and finally saying I’ve had enough? Just like how Arthur can stop being trusting after he “hardens” and how Morgana can possibly become a villain after years of mistreatment, what can happen with Guenevere if she finally puts her foot down?

The way it is done… a charming, empathetic individual could tell you to go suck your grandma’s eggs while you gush your thanks to her thinking she complimented your fashion-sense… or you can view it as positive feedback vs negative… that is a solid way of looking at it too :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I hope the lack of any graphics will keep it from ever reaching Sims load-lengths! I believe with CoGs it depends a lot on the speed of the computer/tablet/phone of the person loading it, but I’m a writer, not a programmer, so all I really know is that the more variables you have, the longer it takes to load. The three big part 2 branches are definitely going to have some load time, but probably just a few seconds for most people (I hope).

Or, I suppose, the child could be the one saying, “Arthur, you are not my father,” and Arthur the one saying NOOOOOO…

As @OtherGrimm says, that would really be up to Guen, and would, I imagine, vary greatly from Guen to Guen. I’ve had a few people ask for more emotional reaction options, like anger or tears. I’ve always intended to enable more emotional reactions as the plot stakes got higher (e.g. Mordred’s conception, other significant plot moments yet to be revealed, Lancelot marrying Elaine), but I might go back and add some more extreme reactions to some of the earlier events, too.

4 Likes

Morgana offers the fae creature.

• Run screaming from the place since you are afraid of such creatures and don’t stop until you’re back home in Cornwall where you become a nun. [The End]

:neutral_face:

Certainly looking forward to whatever you add, @jeantown, I sure admire your ability to juggle all these variables. :relaxed:

6 Likes

So I have decided for my canon play through.
Psychoguen
Or
Evil guen.

And I wanna ask… can we break arthur?

My guen has been faking loving arthur and so far has only been interested in all this as entertainment.
So just before we kill unhardened arthur can we tell him we never loved him all our kind words and such were a lie etc.

My guen wants to see his face when she tells him.

3 Likes

Extreme reactions…

Assassin attempt foiled.

A) That bastard ruined my dress! I slit their throat and allow their blood to soak the rest of my wedding garment. No point in being careful now! It’s already ruined! URGGGH. ASSASSINS.

2 Likes