Guenevere (WIP)

Lol, well when you finish this awesome ambitious project I’ll be happy to help with a few pointers on that Robin Hood game idea of yours. Ultimately the waiting is a little hard but with this I’d rather it take a while and be well polished than rushed and lack the ambition you have been intending.

Will any of Guen’s family members i.e cousins, childhood friends, mother (if she is even alive) make an appearance anywhere in the story?

Guen’s mom is dead, but she’ll make an appearance in Part 3. The only other family that has been mentioned is her father, who we’ve already seen.

3 Likes

@Aquila_De_Owl I’d like for that to happen, though I don’t have any specific plans. Here on the forum we’ve kicked around the idea of having Guen encounter her dead mother in some form in the enchanted forest in part 3, but I don’t yet have a definite idea for how that would work with everything else I have planned. @OtherGrimm suggested some more interaction with Guen’s father in part 1, which could happen (again, if I can make it work without feeling like it’s holding up the plot).

The danger of bringing in people who knew Guen before her marriage is that I might imply things about Guen’s previous relationships that the reader wouldn’t agree with. I get really annoyed when games tell me “X has been your best friend since childhood. The two of you are inseparable. X is a fun-loving mischief-maker who spends more time in trouble than out of it…” when I feel like my character wouldn’t actually be friends with someone like that. So if anyone from Guen’s past does show up, I’ll want to give the reader the ability to define that relationship as much as possible.

6 Likes

@jeantown
Couldn’t you introduce these characters giving some basic facts about how they are related to Guen, like being cousins or growing up in the same castle, and a description of their personality and then give the player a choice on how Guen feels about them and what kind of relationship she had with them?

3 Likes

@WulfyK Yep, that’s exactly what I would want to do, and will do if such characters can be built into the plot in a way that makes sense. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow …I’m struggling to decide where to start. (Praise incoming)

Guenevere’s a really really well written game so far.
I -adore- the characters, I’ve smiled ,and laughed, felt worried, in short been really drawn into the story.

I love how our input influences the story, the level of detail in the scene descriptions (without ever going over the top boring), and again …the characters, the way their personalities really make them stand out.

For my first play, I went dark magic, with a lesser extent light healing magic, a true sorceress :slight_smile: , even though I missed not being able to help with strategy at the same time.
My Guenevere’s a smart woman, who -may- not always be the most compassionate one, but one who tries to do right by her friends, and country (how she sees best to defend the country, doesn’t always agree with Arthur)

I almost wish I’d found this game sooner, but ,seems to be one that gets better and better.
I can’t wait to see the next chapters, and I -do- hope to be able to pay for the full version soon as well

This game just hopped to the top of my most wanted list.

3 Likes

@neutral22 Yaaay, thank you for all of your kind words! :slight_smile: I’m delighted that you enjoyed the game so much! I’m fond of “all magic” Guen, who should have some serious advantages in the future. I hope you’ll enjoy the future installments, whenever I finally manage to get more done… Thanks again for playing and for posting!

General note to anyone interested: I’m coming home from Thanksgiving travels on Thursday night, and I’ve managed to clear Friday and the whole weekend for writing! Hoping to finish these little edits on part 1 (I’m overhauling how the game tracks relationships, and clarifying a lot of the asexual options), and then get a start on some new stuff. Can’t wait!

19 Likes

I get what you mean. I don’t mind it as much when you’re playing a set character, but when you’ve built a character yourself, having the game decide things like that for you can be quite jarring.

2 Likes

@jeantown :grinning: :smiley: You’re working on Guenevere again! YAY!!! :joy:

So we’ll be able to choose the kind of relationship Guen has with her family? Awesome! :smiley: Especially great because with the number of varied Guens I have, NO character is EVER universally liked or disliked. Opinions always vary.

1 Like

Please don’t use the dead mother in game, because that broken my head canon. If you have a Guen evil, conflicted and you put a Disney theme about How wonderful was all… Role playing through garbage disposal. The past of Guen has to be mysterious and veiled to allow multiple lectures.

1 Like

@Jeantown

Out of sheer curiosity, if Guen participated in the Canelot battle, could she get PTSD?

1 Like

I don’t think that “Disney relationships” is what was implied when talking about the way Guen feels about her family. But again I could be wrong.
If that’s the case, I second you post and ask for a more mysterious background too.

Edit: I’ve forgotten to show a lot of support for this wonderful game and its wonderful author! So here it is. ^^

1 Like

I clearly love this game, one of the best I played so far.
I particularly love the influence you can have of the story and the others, and the choices for the personality of the MC.

Can’t wait to play to the other chapters, great job.

1 Like

Well, assuming any family appear. Still not sure, all I’m saying is that if they do, Guen’s relationship with them wouldn’t be predetermined.

Do you really think I would do that? Give me a little credit. :smile:

Interesting, but probably not something I would be able to build in (for the sake of time, if nothing else).

@Azael Thank you for playing and for posting! I needed some motivation to write today. :slight_smile: (thanks @Tehani, too!)

2 Likes

Question, when was the last update?

ponders Shame there won’t be a choice for a Guen, aggravated with her father, doesn’t have him secretly poisoned so she could direct control of his lands…

@jeantown
Does Leodegrance have Plot Armor to survive until the very end of the game or could he die?

1 Like

@Teety12 I think it’s now been a year since I updated! I’m currently working on edits and a massive “under the hood” overhaul to part 1, just to get my brain back into the game before I start working on new content again. I’m not sure if I should upload the edits or not, since they’ll completely wreck any saved games. (I’ve added, eliminated, and changed a ton of variables, mostly to do with how the game tracks relationships.)

Hmmm… you never know what could happen in part 5. I have no idea what could happen in part 5. Okay, I have some idea. There’s going to be a tournament and Guen is going to solidify whatever political alliances she wants to make, before Bad Things happen in part 6. Could poisoning her father be part of that solidification? Not utterly impossible.

Nope, Leodegrance is not currently slated to do anything plot-essential in part 7, so all sorts of things could theoretically happen to him (or not).

3 Likes

NOOO DADDY LEO DON’T DIE. Though I guess that would put that ‘I’ll never forgive my father for this’ line in part 1 when you get married have a whole new light.

1 Like