Gilded Rails hints

Can you tell me how you managed it? I’ve been tearing my hair out trying and have still only talked to her twice.

At the soiree, after you’ve talked to Evans, you’ll have a choice to set your interest in them (romantically, as a professional alliance or none at all).

If that choice does not appear, the game has not yet been updated on the platform you’re using (I tried google play just now, and it still was not possible. It worked on the site of choice of games, though)

After that, she’ll be on the list of “suitors” and then you just need to take care that your choices make one of the Evans’ stats grow above 57 (I managed it with high charisma and fashion clothes) before you propose them.

3 Likes

Not exactly true, you have to pick just certain questions though if you want to have any real chance of marrying her. Or at least that was the issue for me.

Im having the same trouble.
I have managed to get his love into the fifties and similar with the work one but so far nadda zilch all sweet nadda.
Its so frustrating and of corse i cose him first.
So like you ready to throw the phone.
throws it at Isaac LOVE ME!

Hate to break it to you, but you can’t marry Rochester no matter what you do. You can get engaged to them, but they’ll always call the wedding off eventually

But in general, to be succesful when wooing any character you need to pick 2 skills and spend the whole of chapter 1 trying to get them as high as possible. Chapter 1 is your main stat building section - there’s only a handful of opportunities after chap 1 which gives stat boosts.The character which had the most success for me had 70+ charisma and insight going into chapter 4.

Don’t worry too much about the personaility stas as there are plenty of choices in the game to affect those. Just focus on core skills for chap 1.

Also since I’ve finally managed to marry him here’s a Lessing romantic proposal guide. Do note that its much harder to boost his romance stat compared to business. You want to heavily focus on your character’s charisma, integrity and insight stats when going after him romantically.

• At start the interview, don’t shake his hand. This is the only choice which boosts his romance during the interview. My character could pick either the ‘I have a cat’ option (needs high charisma) or the ‘you want to test me option’ (needs high insight) to get a romance boost. A high gusto character can also go with ‘don’t mistake caution for pride’

• At the soiree, you need to speak with Stanikopolos. Answering yes when they ask you if your only goal with the railroad is to increase its profits will increase Lessing’s romance (and doesn’t completely tank your relationship with Stanikopolos either - I still got invited to the Reformists after picking this choice!) Do note that your integrity score needs to be above 50 to get the boost.

• Next is attending Elkorn and dressing appropriately. When speaking to Lessing choose to deflect (only succeeds with high charisma, and again is the only choice which boosts romance).

• After the derailment, chose to charm him to make him like you better. This is the highest charisma check in his route, needing 70+

• During the proposal, pick the eavesdropping option (which needs an insight check)

5 Likes

Thanks for the tips! And with charm, do you mean the charisma stat?

Edit: Hm, still didn’t get it. For me there was no sign of Lessing at the Elkorn. Only Freeman and O’Malley. Did they come up automatically for you?

I can appreciate a challenging game, but I’m finding this one comes with more than a little guesswork as to what stats get boosted and what effects your choices will have. Some of them don’t make sense to me and leave me feeling frustrated overall.

3 Likes

Ah yes, by charm I do mean the charisma stat whoops.

For me I automatically encounted Lessing the moment I entered Elkorn, probably because I hadn’t met anyone else there (Freeman, O’Malley or Thompson). I was also playing as the MC whose father won the railroad in a game of cards.

The only reasons I’m coming up as to why the encounter might not trigger is 1) you haven’t met Lessing before that point (which doesn’t seem to be the case) or 2) your MC is black or irish (in which case you’ll trigger a meeting with either Freeman or O’Malley, whichever one is the same race as your MC when you first arrive if you haven’t met them beforehand, it looks like).

But even if you have met the others, Lessing should still be an option to talk to. Which characters do you currently run into when you go?

1 Like

Finally had the chance to test out your tip on choosing the railroad heir backstory and that definitely seems to have done the trick at the Elkorn. Thanks. Also I finally got the romantic ending with Lessing.

I found most of the charisma and insight boosting choices on accident and ended with my insight in the 70s and charisma in the 60s. I leaned more heavily on insight choices since it was always highest and it all still seems to have turned out okay.

How do you marry diane. She keeps on dying.

Don’t suggest she use the McKressin Line to get to New York and she’ll live.

So wbich option is that?

I think when you go to a victoria saloon… if you talk to her , she will travel via your company train…
So just don’t pick her to talk with :slight_smile:

I do that but she just doesn’t want to marry me. She calls me a dullard

Romance here is fix with certain choice , i couldn’t marry her either

Perhaps @No_This_Is_Patrick can help…

@mumismatist how do we get high charisma without sacrificing insight or gravitas? That’s the one thing I keep failing on.

How in the world do I romance Victor please help

(1) Any advice on romancing Temperance?
(2) So, this is feedback, but I am thoroughly frustrated by the idea of the watchman coming to grab me from the party (even after I send back a note) and then having the gall to take a bribe as I’m standing there. I know it would be an added check, but it would be nice if he got a good berating as I sack him given the audacity of that. It is at least less insulting if I’m there of my own accord, but…how do I put it? “You drag me away from a party to deal with a situation and then when I attempt to deal with the situation, which YOU dragged ME into, you take a bribe from someone else? Smithson, if you were only going to take her bribe, then WHY DID YOU CALL ME?”

3 Likes

So, I do have an idea in re the “Smithson problem”: If it were possible to set an “unlockable” option after the first playthrough (so they don’t cluelessly blow off the encounter), allow the player to give Smithson a stiff order to “deal with it” and get a report the next day about who showed up. Maybe with a lecture from the office staff, maybe not (“If you have a break-in at the yard, why did you not contact the police before contacting me?” comes to mind as a fair reply). It might foreclose some interactions with Ms. Rochester, but…eh, such is life.

After all, there are enough other encounters in the game that can be dodged.

Can we buy a railroad in the game but also keeping our railroad that is without selling ours one?

How do u save David from being on the train that derails?