Games that didn't live up to the free to play part?

@athanasynt This is a bit nitpicky, but for the sake of reducing clutter in threads, double/triple posting is discouraged. It’s better to put it all into one post. If you feel it’s too long and a portion of the post is dedicated to one topic entirely, you can put some of it in

summary tags

Like this. Click on the orange pencil in the upper right corner of my post, then click “raw”, likewise in the upper right corner, to see how to implement in your own posts.

No worries about not knowing this, I know you’re pretty new to the forums. Welcome, by the way! :blush: :+1:

On to the actual topic, I actually agree with your thoughts on Psy High. I didn’t have years to build up the demo, but nonetheless, I agree the build up to the climax was rushed and the romance options were a bit generic. I enjoyed it as a fun and fluffy story, but I still wouldn’t name it as one of my favorites. I played the sequel a bit ago and found it be the same, with the exception of the new ROs who are less generic seeming than the previous game’s, though they do sort of fit into stereotypes, just different ones. :man_shrugging:

I’ve experienced “full game doesn’t live up to the demo” syndrome a couple times with other games, too. I mostly feel that’s a “me problem” rather than something the authors could be doing better. Early tone sometimes switches to something I’m less enthusiastic about, the cliffhanger urges me to buy it and I run out of steam after it’s resolved, or I should like it but it just doesn’t click. Demos also don’t usually allow you to romance anyone, so I get attached to the characters and don’t have the chance run into any of the issues I usually have with romance (a potential enjoyment ruiner), which is a whole different post. Games like this include Community College Hero and The Evertree Inn.

A couple games I felt disappointment with outside of super personalized/vague issues with after the demo were Zombie Exodus and Fool!. In Fool!'s case, I didn’t like it because it didn’t just have a tone shift as a natural (maybe somewhat frustrating to someone who liked the earlier tone) change in the narrative, but something I felt created false expectations. The description says you work your way up in the jester world, however after the demo you are permanently called to one person’s court whom you have no way of leaving until at least the end of the game. Not that I’d know about most of the endings since I got the same death again and again, seemingly no way out (a problem I suspect was related to stat checks/mechanics).

Zombie Exodus was a simpler case of the author not quite able to keep up the momentum, I think. I found the story a bit linear and the characters kind of two-dimensional. It was probably mostly a case of ChoiceScript inexperience. I didn’t have any of the same problems with its sequel, Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, and actually quite enjoyed it.

7 Likes

In terms of being… Let down shall we say, I remember playing rent a vice’s demo and finding it very appealing to play but when buying the rest of the game it seemed to end rather quickly afterwards and didn’t really give a satisfying outcome in the end? Idk felt like alot of loose ends. Just to stress, not hating on the game or author as it was a well written story with an interesting premise, just failed to keep me interested in the end unfortunately :confused:

8 Likes

The main issue I see here is that:

Many people in this community use the “demo” to deep dive the beginning of a game and “pre-plan” what they think will be their “cannon” play session and/or their “optimal” path forward.

A demo is meant to be a sampler, something that allows readers to get a taste of what the prose, mechanics and customization is like.

When a person runs the demo over and over, the person gets stuffed on those features shown. Instead of providing a taste of what is to come, the reader makes a meal of the demo, overstuffing themselves to the point where they are full of the game and unable to stomach more when purchasing the full game.

This is sad, because the demo’s flavor profiles are often only the beginning and instead of having the room to enjoy the rest of the game, these readers push it away.

20 Likes

Usually what I do is I’ll play the demo, and I will strive to play the “optimal” path (not necessarily the best path, mind you, just the one that fits my character in a narratively satisfying way). If I liked what the game had to offer in this demo, I’ll go ahead and buy the full version; I don’t replay demos a whole lot.

So I agree that demos should be used as samplers. I don’t see the appeal in rereading a demo over and over. If you’re at that point, you probably already like this story, in which case why not continue it by purchasing the rest of it? Barring monetary issues, of course.

3 Likes

Barring monetary issues might be a bigger issue than you think.

4 Likes

I dropped Breach even before finishing the demo.
It started strong with a well crafted and believable heist scene…but then it went straight into destroying my suspension of disbelief when:

• you escape from a detaining cell in a police station thanks to an all powerful criminal organisation.
  • said criminal organisation offers you a job despite being already “burned”.
  • the same criminal organisation is so powerful, branched and organized it could give CIA’s undercover operations a run for their money.

That and the impressive amount of characters and names they shove down your throat from the very beginning.

But I think in this case the demo actually helped, have I hit the paywall right after the first scene I would have bought it on the spot.

Generally speaking I believe many demos tend to stop at the end of the first act, and many many authors spend a lot of time in this act at the expenses of the second and the third.
But that’s a problem with a lot of stories, not only IF.

9 Likes

You’re definitely in a small minority there.

1 Like

I’m not here to write off other people’s economic situation, only to reiterate what Eiwynn said with my own thoughts as well.

3 Likes

Regarding Breach, you mean?

Yes. It has a 4.9/5 rating with 3,585 review on the omnibus.

A story doesn’t have to be soundly written to be enjoyable. It just needs to hit you in the right spot at the right time.

11 Likes

I think Choice of Dragon(?) if that’s the name was a little disappointing past the demo part? It certainly is a little exciting when you get down to the basicness of it, but I believe that is just because I personally felt that the writing was a bite stale; that’s not their fault, nor anyone’s! It’s simply my personal preference because my first game was Choice of Robots and therefore I have this sudden bias of it to have all the games be exactly like that.

1 Like