Forum Formatting Commands

Thank you for the great post. It should help a lot of people make prettier posts. I moved the thread to the right place, so, hopefully, more people will see it.

5 Likes

Oh oh!
I have to add…

Horizontal line
*** or --- works

Double horizontal line

*** or ---
***    ---

Level of headers

# head = <h1> head</h1>
## heade = <h2>heade</h2>
### header = <h3>header</h3>

etc.

Quick quotation

> 'dis text will be quoted
Put another text below it, direct quote

Different paragraph, no quote

'dis text will be quoted
Put another text below it, direct quote

Different paragraph, no quote

Don’t forget the underline! You can use html command [u][/u]

I tamed and neutralized the ferocity of the tags above using triple grave accent (```) so I can show their true form to you.

```
                   Such space much huh
```
                   Such space much huh
10 Likes
* Do we need to include bullet points?
- I know there's a button, but it might be useful...
  • Do we need to include bullet points?
  • I know there’s a button, but it might be useful…
>* Note: to quote bullet points:
>* you need a > before each *.
  • Note: to quote bullet points:
  • you need a > before each *.
>* If not:
* Then this happens...
  • If not:
  • Then this happens…
* You can also
  * tier the 
    * bullet points
  • You can also
    • tier the
      • bullet points
4 Likes

MY SAVIOR.

For some inexplicable reason (at least as far as I know–which isn’t much, granted) <u></u> doesn’t work???

You wouldn’t happen to know why the brackets work where the great-than/less-than signs fail?

underlin
testing

striktrug

Huh, that’s weird.
I’m used with box-bracket, so it never occured to me if the pointy-bracket won’t work.

And why it’s the underline in particular?

1 Like

Ok, so I was actually really, really curious about this, and it seems like <u> has actually deprecated from its usage as the underline command (starting from HTML4 onward), and starting HTML5, it is now exclusively used to denote a squiggly line: ﹏﹏

Sometimes it’s colored and appears beneath incorrectly spelled words:

Talk about today I learned, eh?

I was also messing around to make sure brackets work for all commands, and I will now be adding those alternatives to the OP.

@Szaal @ParrotWatcher Do you guys mind if I add your tips to the OP? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please do. Blame me if they say no.

1 Like

I’ll hold you to that lol

2 Likes

NOOOOOOOO! :scream:

To @Eiwynn, that is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @rose-court, feel free. :smile:

3 Likes

It’s 2am…but I did it. I added the stuff. :sob: y’all better start makin’ pretty ass posts

I was thinking of adding more to the Quotes section, as in give an example of how the other commands can work within it, the same way I demonstrated how the small commands can be smooshed together.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Umm… yes, I do mind?
kek

About [quote], it’s a 'lil bit clunky just like the triple grave accent. They like to stand on their own line, unlike their 'lil bro [spoiler]. IDK if quoted quotes work though, nor if it will be preferrable.

…wot?

:eyes:

…maybe it’s the 2am talking, but I don’t understand what you mean at all.

Ahh, let me see.

Yes, you can.

ahhhhh, that’s what you meant…

in that case, I’ll add it tomorrow when I’m less…blegh

thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

This is a lifesaver. I always wondered how to do the small font and the strike through,

I finally found tiiiiiiiiiiime to fix this. :sob:

I learned the html way of making summaries and have added them to the first post. I’m also wikia-ing the first post because six months is not a long time to lock me out of edits.

Finally, I also found this ridiculously helpful markdown guide, and it even comes with a tutorial!

1 Like

You, my friend are a blessing to this world thank you for doing this!!!

3 Likes

Is there a way to add a post to my thread immediately after the first one and to pin it there? @rose-court Or is there another, more creative way, to achieve this effect? If I didn’t want to make it a wiki post, I would just create another dropdown in my initial post. Cheers!

As far as I know, there is no way to interpolate a post into a thread-in-progress. I think you would have had to “reserve” a post (you know, making a “this space reserved” post directly under your first post).

I think your best option would be to edit your initial post at this point.

2 Likes