February 2024's Writer Support Thread

I did enjoy it in the A Dance with Demons WIP because the disorientation and strangeness of another perspective felt part of the shape of the story.

A lot of people enjoy it, but I am not a big fan of cutaways to NPCs (as opposed to having multiple protagonists, which feels different) unless there’s a really strong narrative reason for it. I find it a bit jarring and prefer to keep immersed in my PC’s awareness and see how the NPCs are feeling via their actions in the current moment. I don’t really want to know exactly what an NPC is thinking/experiencing because it kind of spoils the excitement of finding that out in the game (plus it makes me impatient to get on with the game itself, heh).

If it’s a villain or a character my PC otherwise wouldn’t have awareness of, I’d rather wait until a dramatic point at which I can talk to them myself. If it’s a character I’m close with (a potential romance interest or something) I feel even more strongly that I’d rather find out about their inner world “in person”.

That said, I know that plenty of folks are bigger fans of it than I am, and they’ll be able to show off what works for them about it!

8 Likes