February 2024's Writer Support Thread

Welcome all to the support thread for February 2024!

:cupid: :angel: :

:spiral_calendar: :

:cupcake: :

Remember that this year is a leap year, so there are 366 days in 2024!

:birthday: Happy Birthday to February babies.

Thank you, everyone who continues to participate in these threads ā€“ it helps others when you do participate, sometimes more than you think.

If anyone has specific questions or concerns I may help with, please let me know.

:open_book: :

This month, I am going to highlight a series of blog posts about writing dialogue. I am posting the second in the series and recommend reading it before the first, because it covers the basics.

Here is the article I recommend starting with:

The other very useful blog article from this site that I find most helpful is:

There are a ton of things to pick up from these six blog articles, but the most important is buried and so I will point it out here.

This is the single most important aspect for both dialogue (i.e., learning regional differences before writing dialects) and naming (i.e., Do a background check on the origins of the names you choose, in particular the surnames.)

Once again, this month, my goal of completing my deathsight scenes will be carrying over.

This month, I only have three scenes to complete properly instead of eleven, so I will be adding two minor passes involving the deathscenes: what I call ā€œtouch-upsā€.

So to recap:

In addition to finishing the deathscenes, my goal this month is to touch them up with minor improvements to help push them one notch higher than they would otherwise be.

35 Likes

Woot! Viva the Aquarius! :aquarius: Good Luck to every writer this month!

9 Likes

Huh, I wasnā€™t expecting February thread yet (itā€™s only 5-and-a-bit AM GMT), but maybe thatā€™s just me being awake when I shouldnā€™t and itā€™s always this early?

Iā€™m currently going through ā€œI need a new head that doesnā€™t hurtā€ phase with a side of ā€œI should drawā€¦ canā€™t botherā€, but I hope thatā€™s going to improve in aā€¦ week or so?

Iā€™m also replaying Telltaleā€™s Batman and having a strong urge to emulate that relationship-tracking somehow, but I have no idea how exactly.

9 Likes

I try to get it up a little early ā€¦ insomniacs unite!

As a life-long migraine sufferer, I totally get this. :people_hugging:

See my above comment. sigh

Inspiration is fun, until it isnā€™t. lol.

Great start to the month :revolving_hearts:

9 Likes

That game (series) always makes me want to make a VN, whichā€¦ doesnā€™t help my impostor syndrome as far as art is concerned either :person_facepalming:

7 Likes

Ah, happy February everyone. January kind of felt like 20 seconds and 20 years at the same time, which I think I say about every month, but oh well.

Having a better idea of my editing pace now, as well as how many tasks I can actually get done in the hours I have to work on it, I think I should have some fairly realistic goals for this month:

• Rewrites, edits, and new scenes for the remainder of Asphodelā€™s Chapter Three, plus Four, Five, and maybe Six.
  • Get Diasporaā€™s epilogue out into the wild, then come up with a list of needed edits for that game.

Hereā€™s hoping I can manage, and good luck to everyone else with your goals this month!

16 Likes

This monthā€™s goal is to get Honor Bound Chapter 8 finished off (thereā€™s a little more that needs drafting, plus playtesting), and to get as much of Chapter 9 drafted as I can as well as outline revisions for something else. There is a short school holiday in the middle of the month, so Iā€™ll have less time, but Iā€™m hoping to get what I can done.

11 Likes

This monthā€™s goal:

Reach 12k words so I can get a first demo out for Late Brakers (WIP title)
Tweak and fix based on testing and public opinion
Set up a Discord server for the game

Unrelated goal:
Keep on top of uni stuff

6 Likes

That is mostly a writing goal, nā€™est-ce pas?

(Sidenote, Iā€™m having a sudden urge to use parachuting lawyers somewhere.)

6 Likes

Iā€™m going to go shop for glasses tomorrow, and Iā€™m really looking forward to seeing how much theyā€™ll help me focus when reading.
It would be really nice to be able to do some more proper playtesting again, instead of just reading WIPs for entertainment.

That said, I doubt Iā€™ll get much writing done in February, because I need to focus on:

I am feeling this soooo much!
I have a bunch of different art that needs to be finished for an exhibition in less than two months, and Iā€™m justā€¦ not doing it :sweat:

7 Likes

Just remember it may take a while to get used to them. It took me a few weeks to be able to look through mine without my eyes hurting, and turn my head without wanting to throw up, when I got my newest ones. But I see a lot better now.

5 Likes

Goals for Feb:

• Get chapter 5 done and released
  • Work on spicy scenes with ROā€™s
8 Likes

oh, everyone wasnā€™t kidding about bg3 stealing all your focus. I havenā€™t worked on my main project in? 2 months now? and I miss it terribly.

Iā€™ve been having a lot of fun but I think Iā€™m ready to get back to it. Iā€™ve made the mistake of leaving off at a difficult to write part, but even so I think Iā€™d likeā€¦to finish the half of the chapter by the end of the month. that might be a little ambitious, but I will see.

good luck everyone :star2:

10 Likes

February time! Ideally this month Iā€™d like to get all of Chapter 1 of KoV out, but Iā€™ve split it up into three planned updates (one for each mission) so if I can do even one or two of those this month Iā€™ll be happy. Iā€™m honestly not sure how long each is gonna end up, so Iā€™ll probably reassess once Iā€™ve finished the first one.

10 Likes

Ah, February, my favorite month of the year, (my birthday being included totally not relevant :3) my goals are to first and foremost enjoy learning and writing in CSIDE and secondarily actually focus on finishing the first demo.

And to also finish as many new WIPs as possible, (I have an addiction problem)

10 Likes

After narrowly making my goals in January, I am on a motivation high. Unfortunately for me though, I have like 4 assignments due in the next two weeks. So I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to get much done until after that.

But after that, these are my goals:

• Finish cooking up that cover design I was working on.
  • Outline the beginning of Act 3 in my WiP, but not complete it, as that may be a bit of a push this month.
  • Write another side story, still deciding what about.

February contains Valentines day, so I Imagine many people associate the month with love. (Not me though, my IRL anxiety is waaaay to bad to get into a relationship.) So it is a happy coincidence that this has coincided with the point in my WiP where the first real flirting with ROs occurs. I have a lot less confidence in my writing than usual with these parts, so yeah. Wish me luck :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Good luck!

Iā€™m now picturing a cover design thatā€™s a pie. :yum:

4 Likes

Iā€™m hoping to get most of my second chapter done this monthā€“but Iā€™ve masterfully overloaded myself with work and research again by trying to start up several new projects under the assumption some of them wouldnā€™t get off the ground. (Guess what. Now I have to do all of them! :laughing:)

So weā€™ll seeā€¦ lol

Also excited to have a new short story out in Lightspeed today! If you like magical girl anime and/or cosmic horror and/or weird metafiction, you might enjoy Companion Animals in Mahō Shōjo Kira Kira Sunlight.

12 Likes

Today I had a decent start to the dayā€¦ including a marsh walkā€¦ and a good time writing. Then some non-writing-related stuff happened in the afternoon which was pretty rubbish - and, well, rather put a dent in my hopes to finish off my chapter.

However, I am reminding myself to not be my own worst boss and am taking tomorrow off to get outdoors. Here was the marsh today, before the day went downhill:

18 Likes

Havenā€™t written a word in a week because of a very difficult move. Just to give you a few highlights, both me and my wifey suffered several bulging discs from doing too much, and my carā€™s transmission died on the highway! Now writing will feel like a vacation but itā€™s in the back of my mind that my disabled ass is now also jobless cause I need my car to petsit :relieved:

Ah well, such is life. Iā€™d like to get 10k words written this month as a reasonable goal

20 Likes