Favourite Male ROs

Firebrand from The Hero Unmasked

2 Likes

Most of my faves were mentioned in the opening post - Dandy and Orion (Evertree), Fitzie and Vyv (Jolly Good), Nate and Felix (Wayhaven), and Gabriel from Breach. But some of these characters are quite… how to describe it… ‘superficial’ isn’t exactly the right word, but the authors have revealed very little about them and the relationship is rather underdeveloped (specifically looking at Orion and Gabriel), so there it’s largely about anticipation rather than reality.

11 Likes

Almost all of this is true for me as well: I don’t do self-inserts (and like having my MC become part of the world), and I don’t find the HC ROs (in the games I’ve played thus far) interesting at all. They’re very… bland. I guess part of the problem is that they have to appeal to everyone to some extent, and that typically means they can’t be too much one way or the other. To me, that just ends up being boring, which means I need a bland MC, which I don’t like playing.

Yeah, I liked him, too. Out of the two games, I liked The Crossroads much better. Lady’s Choice didn’t really appeal to me much, but I’m not into regency romances and find them cheesy and overly dramatic for no valid reason, so that’s probably the problem.

I forgot about Breach. I like Gabriel, but Rook is gold. I’m also going to have to make an MC for Michael, that frigging psycho. I love him. I do wish the romances were a bit more fleshed out in the game, though, instead of being “wham, bam, we’re in love.” But at least they’re fun.

Okay, so in addition to Andromeda Six, I highly recommend:

Aloners Redux
Wilder Ran
Wilder Badhur (you may like this one better… I prefer Ran)
Superstition (there are two seasons now… you’ll probably love Chris–I love Zillah :heart_eyes: )
When the Night Comes
Cinderella Phenomenon
Tailor Tales (I only suggest the paid for version–the free version doesn’t have a lot of the romance scenes that get very steamy–but the storylines are really great)
Ebon Light (I freaking LOVE this game)
Demonheart (another one that is awesome–and it has a sequel that is an old-style RPG)

And I’m not going to put the links here in case there are kiddies about, but look up Boyfriend to the Death. It’s romance… in a very sick and twisted way. It’s not for the faint of heart!

11 Likes

Very true. I couldn’t really connect with any of the RO in HC games. It felt like they didn’t want to take too many risks and played it safe. Art is created when the author just lets go and write what’s in their heart. They shouldn’t be too worried about how others might react to their work. After all, I know the people COG gets to write books are really nice people and they’re the least likely people to write anything hurtful.

1 Like

as can the Wayhaven ROs, Ortega, and Haze iirc, although Tally Ho never stuck out to me

Ah. I’ve actually never played Wayhaven, or most of the other games listed - I just recognized Black Magic as selectable. :sweat_smile:

As everyone has mentioned, Finch is excellent. Mob/Synergy and Stunner from Community College Hero are both very good, although very different. Recently I’ve gotten really into the [Body Count WIP]((https://bodycountgame.tumblr.com/) (also with a thread here on the forum), and although I don’t really have an interest in men anymore (my username is somewhat outdated lol) I am very fond of Adegoke, Charlie, and Griffin and would romance them all were it not for the incompatible orientation.

3 Likes

I haven’t actually played either Wayhaven or Fallen Hero in full, but I’ve peeked at both. f!Ortega is possibly my favorite RO out there honestly I just have trouble getting into the headspace to play the MC

1. Rook/Gabriel-Breach: The Archangel Job

This whole entire book was a surprise treat for me, I always saw it but I’m very bored by heist related stories so I ignored it. But ever since then I loved Rook character, he’s corny but the right kind plus he’s very affectionate and will do cute things to your MC that the other Ros won’t.

1. All of them-Wayhaven Chronicles

Sera shouldn’t have written them so damn good

1. Orion-Evertree Inn Saga

My love for mysterious emotionally unavailable men has ruined my mind and my wallet. We know next to nothing about yet I love Orion so much!

Though he might share the spotlight with Gunther, once Gunther romance really kicks in.

1. Jaime-Zombie Exodus:Safe Haven

He’s just a big loving teddy bear that can cook❤️

1. Azuridian and Rhylo-The Shadow Society

I had to make and try a certain MC, lemme tell you these two were just wonderful interacting with her. Azu gives me Vergil vibes and Rhylo is just so precious.

As someone else said people gave the author a lot of unnecessary crap even though the story was original and very interesting, it just has some holes here and there. But it has massive potential and I would like to see where they take it.

1. Blade-Shepherds of Haven

I love subtlety and his route is full of him doing subtle and affectionate things to MC, like pinching her cheek or putting a coat over her!

1. Kell-In Stasis and In Space

I love lizards……

18 Likes

Highly recommend this WIP and definitely not because I’m the author or anything

53 Likes

And here I thought you might be upset that I was pitching it for the romance. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve also pitched it for the battle scenes, if that makes you feel better. And how awesome the marshal is. And… well, you get the idea.

3 Likes

Blade from Shepard’s of Haven is my favourite male romance. He’s a stoic leader who has a soft spot for the main character (female-only).

Mr. Darcy from The Courting of Miss. Bennet is a second runner up. He’s a bratty rich man who the reader clashes with and gains his immediate attention. The push and pull is delightful, and their route is tumultuous to say the least.

Felix is my third, but you’ve already played Wayhaven. Still, having a character based off of Overhaul and romancing Felix is hilarious because he tries to play flirty with my super stoic character who doesn’t retaliate and turns into a tomato when they flirt bold out of nowhere.

8 Likes

I tried to play this game with all seriousness but I kept getting distracted by the buff guys soul patch. And then when I finally decided that ‘yeah, I guess this guy is alright, let’s go’ I accidentally almost killed the dude in the suit because he couldn’t pass the barrier lmao.

1 Like

Hmmm…when you say the MC is seriously damaged…do you mean Fallen Hero MC damaged or SoH damaged?

Because Fallen Hero damaged, I can deal with…but SoH damaged really disturbed me a lot – especially when it was revealed that the MC had to eat dead orphans to survive…I was so disturbed that I wanted to give up the book at that time. I think that was Book 3.

The fact that Orion actually even talks – at least, a little more – to you when you choose to follow him through the Cow God Case is actually good enough for me already.

Not sure I like the fact that Orion leaves right after having sex with you without even a word though.

I was actually so excited when this game came out and I made a genuine attempt to read it and I really wanted to like it…but after reading just a few chapters, it disappointed me greatly.

I might be one of the minority (but not the only) who didn’t like it, but I gave my reasons for here.

From the old threads of favourite ROs, I saw a lot of people mentioning Slammed!, Tin Star, Heart of the House, and so forth…surprisingly, no one mentioned it here.

But I reckon that’s probably because, as I’ve said, those are old threads and they are probably newer books with much better romances.

Seems like a lot of the suggested games in CoG/Hosted Games are WIPs. The only problem with WIPs is that they feel…well, incomplete. Although I guess the same can be said with incomplete series, like Wayhaven. Hmmm…actually sometimes, the pining and anticipation is what actually makes the series fun.

3 Likes

Advertising +100
Sneak +100

20 Likes

I thought about mentioning Evan from Slammed! and… er… the Dr. Watson expy, whose name I can’t remember, from Heart of the House, but the problem with those two games is that:

A) They’re not in genres I personally like, so I didn’t enjoy them as much as the others
B) (Possibly related to A) I couldn’t create MCs that I really liked. And creating the perfect MC is half of the appeal of any good video game romance for me.

3 Likes

Honestly, fair enough. Your reasons are very valid. There is very little customisation for Miss. Bennet other than who she pursues and a personality that is pre-set. It is more of a ‘takes you by the hand and leads you through the plot’ kind of story, rather than something branching.

Though I’m a sap for the entire thing.

I found myself enjoying the snarky build we could give her over the conniving, kind or naïve one, and I enjoyed going against the mother and letting the sister have her happily ever after. To top it off, Mr. Darcy is (in my opinion) the perfect ‘asshole-with-isn’t-an-out-to-screw-everyone-bad boy’ to romance, and I’ve yet to find an RO like him—I think that’s why I like the story so much, because of Darcy.

He isn’t promiscuous or stoic like most ‘rude’ love interests, he’s just a self-centred brat who gets a wake up call and goes heart eyes over it. I’m a sucker.

3 Likes

For published works:

Governor Eden in Lisa Fox’s A Pirate’s Pleasure. He’s so sweet and lovely, and worth every faith that you put in him.

The secret RO from The Soul Stone War. What can I say? I’m trash for a good villain.

M!Ortega. I love him so much. It’s potentially way more angsty than I usually dig, but gosh. He’s wonderful and I love the way Malin’s written the relationship so far.

WIPs
I love, love, love Hadrian from The Golden Rose. If the Pirate King also turns out to be an RO (PLEASE ANA) I’ll be super into him too. I’ll probably fall in love with the bard and Alain too, because Ana is brilliant. (Only Hadrian and Alessa are currently confirmed as ROs but gosh. She can’t troll us with all these gorgeous people and not make at least some of them available!!)

I agree with the person above who recced The Porthecrawl Witness. I only have a character for M!Quinn so far, but Talbot is amazing and I could easily see loving Staci and Asher as well. (This is my favorite WIP and it doesn’t get enough love.)

Gray from Mind Blind is a cinnamon roll and I love him. But for real, all the ROs are amazing. I am a little in love with Nick too. He’s the character’s brother, but I (as a human woman) love him.

SHAW. From Sentinel. He’s a wreck and I love him so, so much. Childhood friends to lovers!!

Basically all of the dudes in Shepherds of Haven. I have a pretty set MC for Blade, but Trouble, Chase, and Red are also :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:!

Reese from the Fernweh Saga. I want to snuggle him. I love the kind of uncertain nature of MC’s relationship with him so far. They were rivals as children, but mine is immediately taken with him as an adult and unsure how to proceed.

EDIT: I can’t believe I forgot Liam from Speaker. Another childhood friends to lovers, this time with a funky goth witch. Love him.

I also pine for: Lea (The Northern Passage), SHEA (Virtue’s End), my creepy husband (Seven Days in Purgatory), Jareth (Checkmate in 3 Moves), Gabriel (A Comedy of Manors), Leon and Eli (A Mage Reborn), Xavier (The Sword of Rhivenia), Hades (Fields of Asphodel), Dracula (Wilhemina), Jeremy (OFNA), Darcy (Advanced Studies in Pattern Magic), Dr. Grey and Victor (Citadel), Rylan (When Twilight Strikes), Keldan (Myrk Mire), Chris (Scandal), Nicholas (Ace of Spades) and probably 30 more that I’m forgetting. There are so many excellents WIPs right now.

VNs:
CLARMONT!!! from 7KPP. He’s handsome, kind, and almost certainly involved in a violent rebellion against oppressive tyrants?! YES. (I will play this game 800 times to figure out a happy ending for my Sheltered Princess and Clarmont.)

Vexx from Andromeda Six. Dear god, the princess’ bodyguard? And he’s kind of villainous?! SWOON.

Geoffrey from Made Marion. The Sheriff of Nottingham? His sprite is based on Alan Rickman?! Super on board. (Honestly, all the ROs look awesome though.)

Ceres Awle from Ise & Kai: Chosen Throne! He’s super sweet and there’s something going on with him. I’m interested to see what it is when the game releases.

Silas from Truths Untold. He’s a nice, handsome older dude that respects you. What’s not to like?

I haven’t decided who I’m most excited about from the upcoming Gilded Shadows. Probably Caissa, although it seems like Magnus is going to slip under my guard too.

…okay that got away from me a bit.

37 Likes

I like Reilly, but he is actually shared second place with Tommy for me. I still like Brody best there.

Oh, well as for a very definitely non-exhaustive list:

Always male*

*Though I will only include characters who are always male here, with the exception of Dandy from Evertree Inn but thus far in gender flipping characters Evertree has done it best and I feel the differences between Dandy and Daisy are significant enough to not make them merely gender-flipped versions of each other but distinct and distinctly masculine and feminine characters in their own right.

1. Dandy from the Evertree Saga
  2. Zhu, from Relics
  3. Herald, from Fallen Hero
  4. Semryu from Waywalkers
  5. Steel/Chen also from Fallen Hero
  6. Brody from Zombie Exodus
  7. Tommy and Reilly also From Zombie Exodus.
  8. Arthur, Charlie and Griff from Body Count.
  9. Gabe from Conspiracy in Emerson.
  10. Phil from Totem Force.
  11. Altair and Cyrus from the Keeper series.
  12. Trouble from Sheperds of Haven, also Red and Chase.
  13. Dylan/Aurelianus from Asteroid Run.

And lots of others

As for gender flippable to male and more masculine presenting nb ro’s:

1. Rosario from Creme
  2. Asher, Beaumont and Hyacinthe from Royal affairs
  3. Julian and Andreas from those Betwixt
  4. Fitzie and Vyv from Jolly Good.
  5. Haze and Valentine from Tally Ho!
  6. Kile from Conspiracy in Emerson.

And some others.

Imho, it leans more to a mix between Fallen Hero and XoR in that both the mc and the culture they come from are seriously messed up, but the mc is allowed to have their own reactions to how they deal with the shit they have suffered and there is no forced Stockholm Syndrome and being forcibly turned into a bad stereotype of a manga super-uke by that forced relationship for gay guys.

12 Likes

Defs not as “messed up” as Hyuga protag. I, the Forgotten One I feel draws a lot of inspiration from WWI/WWII anti-war sentiment, your protagonist’s PTSD being from witnessing all the sickness, death, and gore that comes with being on the warfront at a young age. SoH I feel goes a little OTT with the disturbing content at the point where it’s like, is this book just trying to be edgy for the sake of it? While in comparison, I, the Forgotten One, while gritty, is more rooted in reality, showing the real impact war can have on soldiers.

A big reason why I like the romance so much is because the romance routes are both affected by and go on to affect the story/characters, instead of existing in a vacuum which seems to be the norm for a lot of books. The M/M route, for example, has the characters react to the fact that homophobia exists in-universe and act accordingly; any developing romance can impact your MC’s character development; etc.

God. I’m off to replay for a third time and make the exact same decisions I made in both my past replays, LOL

8 Likes