Elemental Alliance (WIP)

Saving is working for me, so I think the problem might be on your end? Has anyone else had issues with this?

Also, the info page about the plug-in says this:

Uses browser localStorage to store/restore generated between browser sessions on the same computer/device. Older browsers, some mobile browsers etc do not support localStorage.

If a browser doesn’t support localStorage the system shouldn’t stop your game from working, it’ll only inform the player they can’t save - not actually “crash” - let me know if it does.

I wonder if this is the problem?

Doubt it. I can save without issue in every other game I play. The problem is only with this one.

Hmm… the save system is working just fine for me.

1 Like

Well, whatever the problem was, seems to be fixed now.

1 Like

Wow, I’m loving this demo! I’m not even sure who I was to romance at the moment, everybody’s so attractive to me.

Time will tell…I might just take up my parent’s offer in being in more than one alliance :eyes:

I do have a question though. Some parts of the game say “your parents and mother” or other similar wording. Is that an error, or do I have three parents for some reason?

Also, is one parent non-binary? I don’t have a problem with it, but I was just curious! I love all the options, including things around gender and attraction. Shaping up to be a very inclusive game so far.

Can’t wait to keep up with the progress!

5 Likes

afaik, your parents are randomized every playthrough! you can have either 2 or 3 parents, and each’s genders are variable (m, f, nb). official poly arrangements seem to be pretty accepted in this universe!

sounds like in your playthrough, you have 2 nb parents and 1 mother!

3 Likes

You can actually have 1-3 parents, although 2 is most common! And yes, the genders (and the number of parents) are randomized. I figured that in the real world, you don’t get to choose your parents, so I felt justified in randomizing the number and genders (it was a fun little coding exercise). Also, I thought it really helps with the worldbuilding by not just telling, but showing how all relationships are accepted (including not being in a relationship, your parent might be single). And yes, I use the term “parent” for nonbinary parents, so you have two nonbinary parents and a mother.

Adoption is common, especially for nobles who don’t wish to have children, as there is magic that helps “adopt” someone into your bloodline (for a world that depends so much on Houses and Heirs, there would definitely be a way to do that). And I’ve also envisioned that there is some sort of process utilizing surrogates/donors and magic to allow same-sex/nonbinary/poly couples to have biological children, if they wish.

2 Likes

A dating/political alliance simulator? Count me in! :popcorn:

I think what you have so far flows very well :blush:, I did get a bit lost with meeting so many people at once but I’m sure once we get a bit more individual time with each RO it’ll be easier to keep track of them in my mind. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m also very intrigued to see how the “change gender at any time” is going to play out, in regards to ROs :thinking:

Some things I noticed

Here, I only had one mother, but one of the choices seems to suggest multiple parents, and in the text she is addressed as “them”:

Here, I think something’s a bit odd with the “if you just be yourself” sentence — I’d reword that bit, or at least remove the “and” afterwards.

Here, I think since the parent is speaking throughout, the quotes shouldn’t be split in two. If that is hard to code because some of the text is variable, you could possibly add some narration in between the fragments to avoid this issue.

3 Likes

Thanks for the good notes! Good catches on all three! (On the last part, you managed to pick the one option that has that error. Every other option was grammatically correct :sweat_smile:)

And the gender-changing is already in place! You can change your gender or the gender of an RO at any time, in the “Options” tab of the Stats page. The RO’s won’t change genders unless you choose to make that change, but I think I’ll try to add a genderfluid secondary character.

1 Like

Hi Bee, I loved the demo and can’t wait to see future updates. I wanted to know if any poly relationship will be there or all will be monogamy?

1 Like

Hi! So it’ll be possible to form a poly relationship with any two of the ROs. I’m poly, so it’s important to me to have lots of poly options.

1 Like

Awesome :weary:

1 Like

This is really great! I think it’s probably the most diverse IF I’ve seen on here, both in terms of NPC’s gender identity and sexuality. I also noticed a lot of the characters aren’t… uh, white? which I really appreciate as a WOC.

I can tell a lot of thought and care has been put into this and I’m really excited to see how it develops!

I already have a soft spot for C, so I’m really hoping C’s not just super friendly with MC because their house is weakening :pleading_face:

Also, just curious: When the MC’s parent asks if MC “clicked” with anyone yet, what is the impact of our responses? I know in some other stories, questions like that tend to be locking us into paths, but since it’s so early in the story, I assumed we’re still able to explore all six ROs at this point…

3 Likes

They do have a crush on MC, which is probably why they turned down everyone else.

1 Like

cool, thanks for answering! I was already liking the dynamic, I just wanted to make sure nothing was going wrong :grin:

2 Likes

Hopefully.

I said that because when you meet the different houses and finally make it to C’s house, the MC mentions that they like to think (or think?) C’s friendliness is 100000% genuine but sometimes worry it might not be because of the way C’s family is, so I’m hoping that’s not some hint of drama to come.

1 Like

Yeah, I kinda took inspiration from Avatar, the Last Airbender, and went for a “nobody is white” type of world. I wanted to use the different cultures as inspiration, so it was important to me that I wasn’t just using real-world cultures for set dressing, that the ROs were also POC.

I had two reasons for this. First, in game, your parent is just being nosy and wants to know if you have a crush on anyone. Out of game, you also get a small bonus to the relationship depending on who you choose (or a smaller bonus to all relationships if you’re not sure). This is so that if you’ve been following my progress and know which RO(s) you want, you have a little bit of a bonus towards forming a relationship with them.

Well, this is a story about political alliances (and your parent does get poisoned at some point), so it absolutely is a hint of drama to come :wink: There are some hints with the other RO families too (some more subtle than others). The culprit will be randomly determined, so there is a chance it could be someone from your RO’s family. It won’t be any of the RO’s though, so don’t worry.

I also had some people who didn’t like the “already best friends” type of character, so if you make the choice to constantly push C away, they ARE just using you for your political power (which explains why someone you don’t like sticks so close to you). But unless you go down that path, C does genuinely like you, don’t worry. I won’t pull any plot twists like that with an RO (I don’t want to mess with people’s feelings). I did want to include a little bit of that doubt though, because even if C is a close friend, you do know that they’re a political climber and that would raise a little bit of doubt.

3 Likes

Hello! Interesting concept and liking what you have so far. There’s something I noticed, however.

Unless I’m misremembering (and it has been a few days since my last playthrough, so I might be), there didn’t seem to be much difference between having two parents or having three parents. I had three mothers in my most recent playthrough, and while the Queen talked, as did one other, the third one seemed to just be there, and not actually do or say anything. While I don’t know if this is a big issue or not, I personally would prefer if all three spoke or did something more often then not, as opposed to just saying you had three parents and then otherwise acting as if you only had two.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this, and have a great day!

2 Likes

Whyyyy not :joy: That would be an interesting twist

1 Like

So far i like this