Editing, modding...cheating?

You. are. amazing. <3

Good day. :grin:

Please help me. I am lost. :cry:

These are what I did (based on what I understood from the comments):

1 - extracted CoG (specifically Lost Heir) apk contents using 7zip
2 - edited startup.txt and startup.txt.json inside the scenes folder for the desired initial stats
3 - run the index.html

Unfortunately…after trying several browsers (chrome, firefox, and internet explorer), I always receive script error, and that androidbilling is undefined.

I even tried running index.html without modifying the files but still get the same error.

Where did I go wrong? :sweat_smile:

I don’t get it. How can you be editing the apk and you want run an html file at the same time?:confused:
Don’t run index.html. Just recompile the apk after modding the startup.txt and startup.txt.json file.
And finally, sign the apk using a zip signer from play store.
Hope this helps.:grinning:

3 Likes

Ooh. I probably did not understand things here correctly. Noob. :sweat_smile:

Btw. I also tried that but failed. I didn’t know that the mod apk has to have a digital signature to work. Thanks. :relieved:

1 Like

You need to delete the version.js in assets folder before run the index.html

after that try to run the index.html again in firefox

hope this helps
note:sorry for my bad english :grin:

3 Likes

This is what I’m talking about. :grin:

The step I didn’t know is required is to delete the version.js. :sweat_smile:

This works. Big thanks. :relaxed:

For the noobs like me, here is the easy guide: :grinning:

1 - extract CoG .apk file contents using 7zip

2 - inside the scenes folder, open and edit the .txt files (depending on what you want to edit) using notepad

3 - delete version.js in assets folder

4 - run the index.html using firefox (not chrome)

:relaxed:

PS. I just summarized what the other people here said. Read the previous comments for the details. They’re awesome. :grin:

EDIT: You don’t have to edit the .json files. I tried it. It works.

5 Likes

How to do this?
I can only mod scene json which as u said, tend to break stuff

If editing json, try to replace stuff instead of adding.

1 Like

Well to edit the save file you need to be on a rooted android device.

Using root explorer or some similar app, go to

/data/data/com.choiceofgames./shared_prefs/
for choice of games files, Or

/data/data/org.hostedgames/shared_prefs/
for hosted games files.

In place of you will find the game name, (you can find that folder pretty easy)

Now edit the settings.xml file within the shared_prefs folder using the built in text editor or any other one of your choice.

Editing the XML is pretty self explanatory, you will find options like:

"coins":56,

Change it to 9999 or something.

The other values are also pretty similar like relationship points, or stats ( heck you can even change your gender in an ongoing game)

Try the various options out it’s pretty easy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there will be 2 primary sections in the settings.xml file:

PS<game_name>PSstate and
PS<game_name>PSstatetemp

Both of these sections are a complete copy of each other AND you need to edit the same values in both sections for the changes to take place…

(There might be some other sections like PS<game_name>PSstatesave just ignore those sections they are the saves that get carried over from previous part of the game, if any, and only change the above 2 sections.)

Another point to note is that before changing the xml file completely close the game i.e. remove it from your recent apps, or your task manager as sometimes the game continues to run in the background and all the memory edits that you just made are not accepted.

Location of settings.xml for lost heir 3:

7 Likes

It’s highly inappropriate
You are telling the whole community how to extract game files then hack it , remod it or etc .
And even if you wanted to help that guy ( that still is inappropriate on a topic like this ) you could have messaged him in private rather than telling the whole community that how to hack games.
The fact remains the same that you accessed these files ( and perhaps modified them ) .

GUYS I DONT THINK WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE GOOD BECAUSE IF SOMEONE CAN EDIT THEM THEY CAN EDIT SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO AUTHOR - I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT SPECIFICS BUT JUST PUT SOME THOUGHT ON IT
@jasonstevanhill
IS THIS LEGAL I MEAN EDITING FILES.

2 Likes

Hah. Unless they’re editing them to somehow get games for free, interfere with other players or CoG itself, or editing them to repackage and resale the games or otherwise profit off of it, CoG isn’t going to care. CoG doesn’t have any policy against cheating or modding in and of itself and it certainly isn’t against the law to edit files on your phone, PC, or other electronics. You’re having a weird panic attack over a whole bunch of nothing.

15 Likes

It’s fine, the thread wouldn’t have lasted so long if it wasn’t. You’re freaking out over nothing.

5 Likes

I guess probably i am - but its possible that anyone can play them for free just by downloading trial version then after than its very simple to edit them and you got a paid game for free , the person isn’t going to make a free app instead he can give others information how to do it themselves.

Its similar situation - author doesn’t get money

There are infinitely easier ways to pirate a COG game already out there. Modding will only help a game, it will never ruin it. Anti-modding is what ruin games. This is basically like buying a book and doodle in it

8 Likes

I have modified a app ( now deleted ) that took only 7 minutes and people were saying its not fast or easy.

I don’t see this thing going anywhere so just drop it.
I mean the piracy thing not the topic as its not going to happen anyway.

Got him to admit to pirating in a single post. Can I be an FBI agent now? Back on topic, I tried deleting the version.js and it works. Saved me one extra step so kudos to whoever posted that. I’m too lazy to roll up

5 Likes

Very funny
Hahahaha
( I am really laughing not being sarcastic as people tend to get it that way )
Now I am over with this thread.

1 Like

Ok i won’t call it cheating but editing is the right word let me get to the point straight , to @jasonstevanhill it is to make surethat if the contents are against rule tgen you can flag it as soon as possible and prevent others from seeing it …
Now to the matter all games store their file in a system root folder called data and manipulating of this folder in case of choice games is easy u just need to open setting.xml file as a text and edit it . I don’t think you can cheat it with this anyway u can modify stats … Now Jason if it is against rule then I m sorry .But I think I had made sure that things which are not meant to be seen are made that way. By mentioning you …