Do you think there would be an audience for a realistic attorney gamebook?

Other thoughts…I would love to code the story so that the reader can “write” portions of briefs, depo questions, and even jury arguments based on the facts, the audience, and (to a lesser extent) the attorney’s own strengths like charisma, research skills, legal acumen, tenacity, etc. I can envision the game being 90% about the reader’s own brain as opposed to stats.

In Tin Star, I kinda felt like investigations were similar to what you are suggesting. Based on your personal skill set and also the people in your party, you would know a lot more about situations based on what you observed and deduced.

So yeah, I think you pretty much have to do things like that for your game. My question is…will you be able to pick defense or prosecution? Or will it mainly have to be one-sided? I would assume if only one it would be defense. However if you are really into it, I suppose you could play both sides.

I’m also thinking (maybe it’s a bit cliche) but perhaps you know one of the lawyers in opposition. Maybe they were friends with you in law school. Maybe a mentor. Maybe someone who recently left your law firm to join a rival firm.

Another thought is…if you thought about making it a series…you could start out as a small time lawyer looking to make the big leagues. And can either impress the firm by the end or not. And then the next one you could be at the firm and dealing with inter-firm politics, more moral quandaries, etc.

Go for it!

I think you will find many that would be interested. It might not scale in comparison to your other great story your developing. I do know couple that would prefer lawyer biz than hero biz. Go for it! Just as Aiedra and others stated. Most likely I would play it myself. I love choice games and all the writers I’ve seen working. Got lots of good writers here I believe.

@HornHeadFan Yeah, there would definitely be an audience for it. And there’s a lot of room to work insofar as cases, affording the law firm, getting people to work for you or going it solo, background (rich, poor, middle class), intentions (lawful or to gain something), being seedy/working with/for some unsavory characters, throwing a case or threatening the opposition to do so, befriending all types to get leads, romances, ect. And I like the option of choosing between being a defense attorney or prosecuter.

So yeah, I think there are plenty of things you could do with this.

I’d play - if you have a mix of interesting cases and characters anything can be enjoyable. I can see how rpg elements could be used to show rising skills and trustworthiness and charisma.

Well I’m definitely penciling this in as a project I’d like to explore later this year. Right now, I’m working hard on Community College Hero but I’m very excited about a possible Choice of Law game. The more I think about it, the more I think it’s ripe with possibilities, especially considering what you all have posted.

I have dozens (aaaaaand dozens) of case ideas stemming from all the war stories I’ve heard over the years. I did make a defendant throw up in the courtroom once. Perhaps that could be a special accomplishment in the game?

@HornHeadFan
How’d you make the defendant throw up :D?

@Samuel_H_Young,

It was right before the verdict was announced. He was facing felony drug trafficking charges and I’m convinced he was guilty based on the totality of the evidence (some of which the jury did not hear).

Anyway, I think he feared a conviction. He got sick all over counsel table, himself, and yes, his attorney. Everyone was like… :open_mouth:

He ended up getting acquitted on the most serious charges. My detective assured me they would catch him dealing again soon.

What an idiot xD