Divine Ascension—Can you ascend to a higher level of divinity?

Originally published at: Divine Ascension—Can you ascend to a higher level of divinity? - Choice of Games LLC

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

As a Minor Deity, you have a large Domain of sapient beings to rule over as you see fit. Can you gather enough faith to ascend to a higher level of divinity?

Divine Ascension is a thrilling 41,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Teemu Salminen, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

• Play as an all-powerful deity with total control over your Domain.
  • Interact with six other Minor Deities, each with their own realm.
  • Gather faith, divinity and power to protect or use those who have faith in you.
  • Use your divine powers to bless or destroy your targets.
  • Experience several possible endings – based on the choices you made during the story.

Your choices will decide the fate of your world!

Divine Ascension is 40% off until March 14th!

Teemu developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.

31 Likes

I’m happy to add this one to my collection. I’m afraid a lot of people are going to overlook it because it’s on the small side, but they’ll be missing out. No, it’s not a great sprawling interactive novel - it’s just a fun little game with a good story, an excellent way to pass the time, especially since it’s completely free to play.

Congratulations @Zaldath on writing a delightful little game and becoming a four-time HG author!

18 Likes

Congratulations on the new game!

4 Likes

Congrats on the release, Teemu. It looks like an interesting read.

5 Likes

Thanks! We’ll see how it goes. It’s true that it’s not really a long story, and that can discourage potential players. Hopefully being free balances things out…

4 Likes

Congratulations! For those who want something shorter and free, give this one a bite.

1 Like

Congratulations! Now we just need to get you writing a longer story…

2 Likes

Congratulations @Zaldath! I enjoyed your game quite a bit even though I got erased from existence! I plan on trying again and maybe making more alliances instead of going at it by myself.

4 Likes

I’d suggest focusing more on your faith (and Templars). Divinity and diplomacy have relatively less use in the final phase.

With that said, glad to hear that you liked the game even though you got eliminated!

4 Likes

Congratulations on the release @Zaldath

1 Like

Ooh, I remember playing, and enjoying, the WIP for this quite some time ago. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Congrats on the release.

2 Likes

I have to say that I am extremely annoyed with the game. It seems like the author didn’t even consider solo ascension as an option. It doesn’t really make it a game of choices but more like a narrow storyline which demands you to make allies instead of ascending by yourself through your own powers… absolutely ridiculous and really disappointing. I wouldn’t have bought it if I knew this was the end of the game. In the future, when making a game like that, consider a solo path, not a mandatory ally path and Quandom the Dominator is way too overpowered to enjoy the game. Seriously… this shouldn’t be so frustrating experience I am beyond annoyed.

1 Like

@V_Z You can absolutely solo ascend, you just need to hyperfocus on war and not let the other deities influence your domain at all. You can literally win the entire war singlehandedly if you know what to do.

@Zaldath With how it ends, is there a possibility of a sequel with you and your allies ruling the old world, or with you as the creator deity in the new one? I could see it being really cool starting a whole pantheon, but taking a more hands-on approach than the big guy did this time. Or even just starting a new world and religion from scratch, but now you’re way more wise and powerful.

3 Likes

@V_Z The ”default” ending is actually ascending on your own. It’s even one of the easier endings to reach if you understand the game mechanics properly - I’ll admit they’re not completely obvious to a new player. If you want to win with your own efforts, you mainly need to accumulate as much faith (and Templars) as possible, without really storing divinity or even maintaining diplomacy toward the end. If you’re especially careful to avoid using your divinity, or prioritize deity relations above your own power, it may become difficult to survive the “total war” scenario later.

@ClaimedMinotaur I’m not sure about a direct sequel, but I was thinking about a story taking place in the same universe - perhaps from the perspective of a Nether Lord/infiltrator/cultist, or as a new Minor Deity created after this world was destroyed, or even as a Creator Deity. But I probably won’t write anything new for a while.

5 Likes

Well if you go the creator deity route, it would be cool if you could be more hands-on than the Originator. I really enjoyed developing my people and watching them grow. I was kind of hoping that I could make my people powerful and altruistic enough to become the sort of protectors of the realms, being the defacto fighting force against the Nether Lords. They would get free travel and trade rights among the other realms in return for protecting them against the Nether Lords.

2 Likes

The Savior/Asiel ending does kind of end up in a situation like that (with the current world’s inhabitants growing more powerful and independent). That is probably the most difficult ending to reach, though, and doesn’t have a lot of details/content like you hoped for. I think it could be interesting to focus more on the creation/religion aspect of the story - this time I ended up going more for the theme of conflict between deities (and the Nether).

2 Likes

Well I reached that ending, but I didn’t really get to see what that actually looked like. It just told me that we were defending the world against the Nether Lords. I guess I was hoping for more specifics about how. I like the nitty gritty aspects of the mortal life, and I relished every opportunity to be involved in the lives of my people.

5 Likes

Oh, alright. You probably liked chapter 1 the most? It was also pretty interesting to write, but personally I preferred the divine conflict/diplomacy/lore, so that aspect was partially abandoned later…

2 Likes

I thought that stuff had it’s place as an end game thing. War of the Gods is an epic thing to participate in, but I much preferred making my people into the strongest and most prosperous nation ever. I was happy both when I saw how happy they were and holding feasts in my honor, but also when they were crushing the forces of the Nether Lords like they were mere pests.

4 Likes