Disliked Elements, Mechanics, and Tropes

“Goddamn it, ANOTHER adventurer? This is supposed to be my day off! That’s it, I’m hiring private security!”

6 Likes

Isn’t there a WIP right now where you play as a literal sentient dungeon?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Kind of reminds me of when I used to volunteer for a haunted trail. Part of my job was to keep groups from entering the indoor section too close together so the actors had time to reset their skits.

10 Likes

“Hmm, this isn’t very haunted.”
“Yeah? How fast do YOU restock the jell-o, uh, I mean, the ectoplasm canisters?”

8 Likes

So this is going to be a largely subjective one. But I don’t like it when a character says something, and the author clearly intends for it to be an epic comeback that nobody can refute (usually defined by the MC being described as dumbfounded or not having a proper retort) when in reality, I can immediately think of multiple different responses to what they said.

I’d be fine if the conversation moved on without the MC replying. It’s the narration going, “Dang, they totally got you; there’s nothing you can think of in response. Now you feel like a real dummy for having objected in the first place; you’ll never live this one down, it’ll haunt you to the end of days,” that annoys me.

It can be fine if done well (like there’s no immediate retort to what the character said); I don’t mean to imply the MC should dominate every discussion. But I don’t care for someone being a jerk to the MC or doing something morally dubious and the narration then talking about how badly they just owned you if you decide to object.

… I really need to learn how to be concise. Maybe this is why my actual writing takes so long.

34 Likes

I’m going to add a scene where the MC thinks of all the cool things they should’ve said five hours later while taking a shower.

40 Likes

You could have a Seinfeld bit where the MC then tries to get the person to repeat what they said earlier so they can use their snappy comeback.

6 Likes

Hey now, that’s striking awfully close to home for me XD

5 Likes

I hate whenever there’s a character that’s supposed to be strong and can take on multiple guys or whatever, and they’re literally just built like a twig with no muscle mass.

5 Likes

I wander… What if it’s done on purpose and in universe acknowledged, to make the character look scary?

2 Likes

Mine always tends to veer more toward me making comments so sarcastic that I look like a complete and utter idiot because almost no one gets it.

5 Likes

well that depend…

if they have powers then they may not need muscle mass.

But if they are going physical combat, then I’m afraid that’s just the Artist taste being shoved into his or her art. Me not like Muscles…hurr durr…

People can indeed be deceptively strong. It gets exaggerated but it’s for from unheard of.

5 Likes

what do you mean? We are talking about physical mass.

Mans for example form muscles more than a woman.

But if say you create a character that has gone to war, a veteran. And then years on the battlefield…and the guy still look skinny? Nope. Doesn’t work like that.

The soldier will not look like Arnold in his Body Builder Golden Age…

But the soldier will have formed muscles from just carrying a heavy rifle, their bags…and so on.

Madara in Naruto…is a fine example of that. I guess Kishimoto doesn’t like Muscles even if they were his inspiration lol

Muscles =/= strength. At least in modern times, you’ll see all sorts of body types among combat arms and special operations troops. Skinny runner types, fat bodies, and of course the big powerlifter and bodybuilder types.

10 Likes

It always amuses me when people assume you have to look like a bodybuilder to be strong.
Meanwhile this guy is tossing small trees around…

(Edit- In case anyone’s about to pull me up on it, I’m aware it’s actually called a caber toss :stuck_out_tongue: )

11 Likes

soo…I’m guessing you didn’t get it huh.

How exactly does that tie into the rest of the point?

1 Like

Whenever this is brought up, I always think of Bob from Tekken.