Diamond Age: A Cyberpunk Story

I hope there are a decent number of non-lethal solutions to problems…

@TheDragon
Sweet, I’m a big fan of morality systems…when they’re done right that is: I’ve always found the “New Vegas” style every-shade-of-grey-imaginable idea much more effective than binary moral choice systems, like “inFamous” and “Mass Effect”.

@Nocturnal_Stillness
That’s a great idea, and paired with the right backround that job could make your character a quite influential person early on

@Ajax yup i liked New Vegas’ morality system, I personally think morality has some grey areas

@Shoelip no worries. I plan on having plenty of options with how they wasn’t to solve things, but due to the diversity and scope of the project along with me still learning how to code the initial release date I had in mind has been changed

@TheDragon
Yeah it’s one of my favourite morality and faction systems, it felt a bit more real because I had to “try-out” the factions before I decided which one I liked the most and each faction viewed me a different way depending on my actions, so I just felt it was a more realistic representation of someone’s morality and reputation - after all no-one is infallible and even good people can do some horrible shit if they feel it is necessary.

Also I’m curious what ideas you have for backgrounds, “stat-setups” and reputation & karma systems?

EDIT:Two things other things as well :smiley: :

1. First off what are the criminal organisations in the game going to be like?
  2. Could we possibly join them and work for them, as say a “repo-man” for the cheap augs they might offer *cue_maniacal_laugh* :-))

@Ajax Hm, cyborg Anthony Stewart Head would be pretty awesome.

Thanks guys :slight_smile: means a lot.

Now I’ve a question for you all. See i gut thus idea from the sorely overlooked game Too Human, it’s got a choice weather enabling you to get augmented with.cybernetics or choose to use your human capabilities, both paths having their own pros and cons. Would you all like to see something like that I’m DA?

@Ajax well see the biggest criminal organizations are basically called UCF’s United Crime Fronts. These are basically the stories version of the Mafia or Yakuza if you will, then you have crews or gangs, these of course are your typical street gangs. Well no not typical but you know what i mean, and i plan to have various factions to choose from.

As for backgrounds and jobs here are a few of each, some may be dropped or revised. Oh and your age will also affect. How things like what level of synthetic alteration you start with.

Backgrounds:
Local hoodlum: Doing small and odd jobs for many of the less powerful and influential crews. You stick to petty crime and keep your head down, careful not to anger anyone important.

Mega Corp Experiment: Born and raised in a breeding facility of one of the mega corps, you’ve had extensive synthetic augmentation (depending on which corp you belonged to your augmentation might start out more nano tech based or cybernetic based, maybe a mixture of both)

Normy: Born in, what was now considered middle class, which was really just a paltry collection of corp owned, or government owned highrises and a few small citizen owned stores. You grew up being taught the basics of life, getting a normal upbringing.

Political Child: (don’t know if that’s the right term for children born to politicians) Born into one of the powerful political families, you had a quite superior upbringing than most, having your choice of nano or cyber tech upgrades. NT was the lifeblood of your house, just as many others.

Nanomancer: An expert of the complex workings of nano technology. Enabling you to have advanced healing, above average immune system and depending on your skill level and augmentations, it allows you the ability to turn parts if your body into various things.

Hacker: a master of virtual warfare, your skill set makes you a headache for any opposition you face, able to crash or misguide various pieces of hardware and software you are a force to be reckoned with.

Brawler: All to familiar with cuts, bruises and broken bones, you’ve fought all your life. Having multiple physical augmentations you’re a sight not welcome, to the enemy atleast, in a fight. Charging into battle with brute strength like a raging bull or gracefully dancing around your opponents with speed and skill, you’re no stranger to violence.
the jobs are gonna be totally up to the reader(s)

I missing some persuasion charisma attributes Its the only skills I love use

Pm me @MaraJade and as for additional backgrounds and specialties those will be revealed in the story

@TheDragon
Interesting, I’m just wondering what’s the deal with weapons in the game cause if our “Nanomancer” ever comes across someone with an EMP weapon, well, dude be screwed.
Also what kind of actual upbringing did our “Brawler” have cause if he was raised as some kind of gladiator then that’s just awesome!!!
One other thing, if the “middle class” lives in government owned buildings what’s “lower class” life like?

@MaraJade
Wouldn’t the “Political Child” be the master of subterfuge?

his description don’t go that way but who knows game looks cool.

@MaraJade
Yep, I look forward to it :smiley:

are you close to a demo?

@TheDragon Don’t get overly ambitious. That seems like way too many background options to handle, especially when you don’t even have a playable product yet.

Nope, got the coding problem handled now so a playable demo should be available soon enough @Roslyn_samalt06

@Shoelip

Yea i know, i sometimes can be overly ambitious but what i plan to have is far off, for now I’m focusing on a demo and seeing how well readers take to my writing and such

Actually, can’t you just live the life of a Brainwashed Corporate Worker? I don’t think you’ll encounter Morality if you seclude yourself away in your Cell. :stuck_out_tongue:

@TheDragon
Something just occured to me, what kind of intro are you having: a very different one for each background or something more stock with a few changes. If it’s the former - which sounds more likely considering the variation you’ve got - then what backgrounds are you coding first?

I’ve made it to where as though they all have the same intro in a way, you’ll see when the demo comes out :wink: @Ajax

@TheDragon, can you be raised by Mechanics? Or be raised in a mental asylum?

@trollhunterthethird shhhhhh my child, everything shall be revealed in time -creeper status- >;-]