Devil's Heart

I like to consider myself “morally nonconformist”

So with enough experience could someone have powers active from different classes at the same time?

1 Like

I think I understand what you’re trying to say. Hope I don’t botch it terribly! :sweat_smile:

Yes, the MC could use their Flesh and Spirit Bound powers/abilities at the same time. It’d take more effort, but with practice the MC can employ multiple abilities - from different classes - at the same time!

2 Likes

I look forward to the demo

Pfft

Can the MC turn parts of their body in blades/claws/etc? (Kinda like Alex Mercer or James Heller from Prototype) bc that’d be cool af.

2 Likes

Your ideas sound pretty dope. I love stories with demons in them. Would be pretty cool if you could romance a demon. (In case they can morph into a human form?)

1 Like

Yes, they can! With a Flesh Bound demon, or in this case MC, the only limit is the imagination.

I suppose a Flesh Bound could create a human weapon - be it something either fantasy, like a sword, or modern, like a gun - from their own ‘flesh’. In the case of a gun, the MC might not need to know how a gun works in order to get it ‘fire’, but this might be bordering too closely to DMC’s infinite ammo mechanic.

Alternatively, the MC’s flesh gun could resemble something like this with the ‘bullets’ being actual shards of bone from the MC’s body.

3 Likes

Do flesh bound have true forms or are they just whatever they want to be?

Romance is taking a back seat.

I might try to weave potential romance options with semi-plot importance, but it depends on how well I handle the exposition of their plot relevance. If I fall flat on this, I’ll either just scrap the romance idea or acknowledge that the MC is in a relationship but won’t include any “ground breaking” scenes starring the MC and their romance interest.

Most importantly, I want to avoid making romance like something out of YA novel, or just avoid YA novel romance cliches because, let’s be honest, they’re not realistic in the slightest, they’re overused, abused, and sometimes silly…

If there is going to be a romance option, it’ll probably try to resemble Root/Shaw, a.k.a. Shoot, from Person of Interest. Here’s some off the cuff yet good tumblr posts that, I think, explain how Shoot is a quality example of a good relationship: here and here.

In this story, the MC and their romantic interest will be - or at least, I’ll try to write them this way - two complex, independent characters. I want to avoid defining the romantic interest as just a romantic interest with no plot relevance - it’s nice, sure, but it’s not good writing in a plot driven story. :unamused:

What I want to try to do, is create other characters - which the MC can enter in a friendship, romance, a sexual relationship, or something else altogether (I’m running out of adjectives here) - where they’re the hero of their own story and the relationship between them and the MC is just a portion of their life.

Going back to your question; if there is a romantic/sexual option who happens to be a demon, then they and the MC could have a physical relationship if the demon is Flesh Bound because they already have a physical body. If the MC seeks a relationship with a Spirit Bound demon, there’ll probably be a lack of a physical aspect to the relationship because they lack a body.

And no, I’m not going to curtail the narrative to where a Spirit Bound RO changes their class - becomes Flesh Bound - just for the MC, because that action has an unhealthy undertone, one that I don’t want to promote.

2 Likes

Hey, we’re already breaking the laws of reality, might as well go that extra mile ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

What to you mean by ‘true forms’? Are you thinking along the lines of a werewolf where they can have a human shape and then their lycan shape?

If so, then I’d say probably not. A Flesh Bound demon is exactly as it says it is. A demon - currently defined as an else-thing that can subvert, and in rare cases disregard, the natural laws of our universe; they’re also defined by what they’re bizarre diet which consists of souls, dreams, and emotions which they use to make energy in order to grow - bound in flesh and because it’s Flesh Bound it has to obey the natural laws of the universe.

They can shape their physical form to be whatever they please, but it’s easier to look like a human - and maybe in some cases, an animal - because then people aren’t immediately clued into the fact that you’re a demon who eats peoples’ souls for breakfast. They could assume the shape of a hulking H.P. Lovecraft creature, but that would attract too much attention and probably have their physical form be destroyed before they can ‘eat’ their daily dose of souls.

Case and point. :grin: I’m just worried about copy right laws and infringement. :confounded:

A way to subvert the DMC infinite ammo mechanic would probably be to have the MC not even think about reloading the gun because they’ve done it to the point where it’s a habit.

I’ve been browsing TVTropes for building blocks as possible inspirations/influences into the MC’s personality choices and the world they live in and this is what I’ve come up with:

I realize that a lot of these tropes are related, and sometimes overlap, but there is a reason for that. If you have any suggestions, feel free to speak your mind! :smiley:

Edit: I’ve been looking at characters from various media and found some more tropes that could add some well-rounding to what I already have.

4 Likes

If you generally want to know what kind of tropes are well liked around here I can commend you this topic.

2 Likes

Deadpan Snarker shall forever be my favorite trope.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’ll take a look at this! :smiley:

Hello_to_you, I think it’s Sunnydale Syndome. The humans chip at the memory of the supernatural experences until they make sense to the person. “OMG my doll jumped off my dresser by itself!..Nah, I must have put it too near to the edge and gravity did the rest.” while forgetting about the creepy voice from the doll saying “GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!!”

2 Likes

Do exactly what the instructions tell you when you try. We can’t override that.

Where is the “depends on the execution” option?

1 Like

I tried to override the poll option but I received the following message.

@Sammysam

I suppose that would the “Other” option, but now that you mention it I’ll try to change “Other” into “Depends on the Execution”! :slight_smile: Thanks for the suggestion!

Which option do you prefer when your playing a CoG game and why?

Here is a link to what In Medias Res refers to.

Note: I scrapped the old poll because it didn’t have sufficient options! Thanks for your patience! Sorry for the inconvenience! :sweat_smile:

• An In Medias Res Narrative
  • A Conventional Narrative
  • Depends on the Execution
  • Neutral

0 voters