Deleting Save Games

Does anyone know if the Choice of Games team is still considering adding the option to delete old saves or at the very least the option to hide saves people didn’t want to see anymore?

As it stands right now, without one if these features the save game screen can seem very cluttered at times. Especially in games that have multiple branching paths or take place over multiple books like games set in the Infinite Sea universe by Cataphrak.

2 Likes

I’d never heard anyone propose hiding saves as a possible solution before. I think that might be a good way of handling the problem. It wouldn’t have the same security/irreversibility concerns as deletion.

4 Likes

Sinnie suggested it a while back:

6 Likes

Ah, that was before my time. Anyway, for what it’s worth (not sure my opinion counts for much because excess save files have never been a problem for me), I think it’s an excellent idea.

When my saves pile up too much, I just start over with a different email.

How does that work with games you’ve paid for, though? Isn’t ownership of the game associated with the email address?

You can use any email for the save system, as far as I know. I’m not even sure it needs to be a real one, although I’ve never tried a made-up one. I think that’s part of the reason CoG doesn’t want to implement deleting saves; with the system as it is now, if you got hold of the email someone else was using to save their games, you could end up deleting their saves if that was a feature.

1 Like

Allowing player to save the their local device/offline save will solve the problem. But i honestly think they will never implement any solution.

So the just like the fabriccat says. I simply resort to “stealing” someones email address. My favorite webstite to steal email adress is 9gag

1 Like

I may have to try the email thing, too. I have too many damned saves for some games and can’t remember which (CharacterName-FINAL-NO-REALLY-FINAL) save I’m supposed to use and, inevitably, pick the wrong damned one.

1 Like

I asked Choice of Games support if they had a timeline for implementing a modified/new save system and this as the response I received.

"We know that there are a lot of changes people would like to see to the save system, and we do keep track of what they are and hope to implement many of them. It’s not something we have a specific timeline on. The issue with making these changes is not that we don’t want to do it - it’s that we’re a very small team with only five members.

Each of those members has different skills, and only one of us has the skills that would be necessary to implement these changes. He’s also the only person who can do a lot of other things, several of which are necessary in order for us to keep the company running and publishing games. So it’s difficult to find the time to make changes that - while we want to make them and we know that other people want them too - aren’t as essential as those other tasks. And it’s a significant time investment to make these kinds of changes to the save system - there are various issues, multiple possible ways to solve those issues (as you’ve noted), and other complications that aren’t always visible from the outside.

Deleting saves in particular is a feature that we really want to add, but for those reasons, it’s hard to say when it will happen, and we appreciate your patience."

7 Likes