December 2022's Writer's Support Thread

Here you go the workshop is for this stuff.

4 Likes

Hi! Just started working on my first IF game today. And also make a post in Interest Check Thread. After reading some IF games, I still decided to start making my own. Good luck to everyone!

10 Likes

Good luck, and see you in two years when you’re an old grizzled veteran with a released game and a chip on your shoulder!

Here’s my update for the month of December:

I am writing!

I am 25,000 words into a new project.

The project may be familiar to many people!

16 Likes

Does that mean that Ansible Station 24 is being scraped :pensive: or is it being remade into something else

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!! :scream:

September is laughing at me, but we got there in the end.

Goal for the rest of the month: mulled wine, mince pies, family and friends.

15 Likes

Reminder to you all that you are not alone:

9 Likes

Hi everyone!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone :christmas_tree:

Let’s spend quality time with our families, but never stop writing!

9 Likes

Every so often when writing, the littlest thing will throw me off my pace.

Today I reached 10,101 words on the chapter I am working on and for some reason, my mind fixated on that number. Now I have to regroup and regain my pace.

Bleh.

I still have a chance of making my December goals, so I am going to keep pushing this upcoming week.

13 Likes

YES! YES! YES!

After about two months of unwanted stops, I finally managed to finish the 11th chapter of my Hindu-Buddhist tribute to FFX: Last Dream - A Hindu - Buddhist mythological fantasy adventure (W.I.P. updated on Christmas DAY!))

I want to thank the dozens of people who helped and still help me during this challenging moment. Many of them are users of this great forum, so THANK YOU, everyone! God bless you all! Santa will have a special gift for all of you.

And this update is my little Christmas present to all of you. :christmas_tree: :gift:

Never stop writing, folks! I love you all! :two_hearts:

13 Likes

I thought I would share a bit since I am in a very good mood!

I was having a lot of trouble with figuring out what exactly the hell I was doing with my own story, but today I just completely focused on fleshing out the geography, some lore, and writing out the social caste system for the setting (based loosely or not so loosely of Tang dynasty China). I am so much happier now than I was before, I feel the story will have a lot to work from, even if the focus is on an immortal and their adoptive brat trying to find a place!

(Turns out spending the afternoon fleshing out the glossary not only made me feel grounded, but a lot more interested in embroiling myself in the period of time I was interested in exploring, even if not purely/directly!)

Learning that foreign individuals were actively encouraged within China during that period of time, causing influences from Persia and Turkey helped inspire some ideas for me! I am hoping to release the first public release by the end of the month though it might be optimistic due to the holidays, wish me luck!

10 Likes

Coming sometime in January, this walking disaster:

Also some other characters, I guess.

I’m almost 30k into this project and want to have the full part 1 finished by the time I put out a WIP thread.

But AS24

It’ll return at some stage!

6 Likes

I wrote 666 words exactly today (lol). As we’re closing in on the end of the month, I’m further away from my goals than I had hoped. But I have a plan for how to deal with that, and I might have some other good news, soon, too.

8 Likes

I have only written about 2k this month. Well not true; I erase more than double that. I keep trying, but I am fighting against my depression, haunting my inner monster word by word.

I wish I could be different, and I am trying to address this with therapy, as my therapist says. Meanwhile, I keep going. It is a small victory.

11 Likes

This is the first month in quite a while (a long, long time) that I’ve been able to get substantial work done, and while it’s not much in the grand scheme of things, I’m feeling really good at being able to say I have actually written (a tiny bit of) interactive fiction that doesn’t suck. Until the point where I release a demo (a long ways away, but ideally within the frame of a year), I can at least say I’ve done something.

8 Likes

Wrote/Updated some character sheets for my Superheroes Project.
Can someone explain me why I had to write four different scales of stats and an five levels per power?

Still waiting some answer from my readers group…

I. Must. Talk. In person. To someone I’m close, about my future plans.

4 Likes

My cat decided she wanted to help me write today. Thankfully she didn’t mess anything up too bad, but she scare me for a minute.

9 Likes

So the headline for that post would be something like “Cat-Toes writing interrupted by cat toes!”

9 Likes

Towards the end of this month I’ve been working on the Royal Affairs beta; mostly a bunch of bugfixes and corrections, and smallish content additions and edits. Because of the holidays I haven’t gotten to major edits, but I have some things to think about that have been mentioned, as well as my own thoughts. I plan to poke at that a little during the last few days of the year while keeping up with bug reports.

Beta testing is always a strange time because of being on tenterhooks waiting for more comments to come in, so it can feel a bit intense - plus the project has been going so long now! But I’m really pleased with the helpful feedback I’ve had so far.

Somewhat more relaxing has been noodling around thinking about future project ideas and figuring out my priorities for whatever happens next. Part of this process involves tuning into and cleaving as close as I can to a game I would most enjoy playing, since if I want a game perfectly tailored to my tastes, the easiest way to get it is making it myself.

(or getting Fay to make it, though that’s a little demanding :laughing:)

9 Likes

My headcanon is that your whole creative process is half noodling and half bellowing, and I refuse to be told otherwise. :laughing:

2 Likes