ChoiceScript and Chrome

I would like to start work on my game, though I’m a bit confused over what to do and expect when downloading ChoiceScript. I use Google Chrome and when I googled the download link to ChoiceScript I had zip.File. How do I start creating my game?

1 Like

Google Chrome is incompatible with CS, and Internet Explorer is buggy. I’d suggest using Mozzilla Firefox

If you’re on a PC, you should be able to extract the zip file normally.

If you cannot extract the files, you may need a ‘utility’ that will extract the files. A good (free) zip file utility is 7zip. You can download the 7zip utility from their homepage:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Once you have it installed, you’re going to open the zip file you downloaded with the 7Zip File Manager. From there you should see a button that says ‘extract’. Extract what is in the zip file to your desktop. If 7-zip does not work on your operating system, you will need to look for some other way to extract the files.

At that point the wiki has a lot of information: http://choicescriptdev.wikia.com/wiki/ChoiceScript_Wiki

1 Like

Not sure yet if this was answered elsewhere, I’m just a noob here, but the ChoiceOfGames page and it’s games work just fine for me in Chrome.

Was there a fix somewhere along the line? Having downloaded the script to my Mac (OS X Sierra), I am presented with a script error right off the bat in Chrome. Is this something that is local/Mac specific that will go away once I upload this to my Linux webhost?

I prefer to use Chrome and would like anything I create to work as broadly as possible…

I think the games work in pretty much every web-browser, but self-made games tend to kick up a fuss when ran in anything but firefox. (The published version should work fine though.) Not sure what causes it. You should ask one of the more tech-savvy people :wink:

1 Like

Specifically, the problem occurs when you run ChoiceScript on a file: URL on your own computer. Chrome doesn’t let HTML files access .txt files on your machine. When you use a web server—any web server—Chrome works just fine.

3 Likes

Gotcha, that makes sense and I feel a lot better now using this. I am really looking forward to experimenting with this framework.

1 Like

Note that the error message kinda said that, but maybe not clearly enough.

We’re sorry, Google Chrome has blocked ChoiceScript from functioning. (“file:” URLs cannot load files in Chrome.) ChoiceScript works just fine in Chrome, but only on a published website like choiceofgames.com. For the time being, please try another browser like Mozilla Firefox.

Do you think it would be possible to rephrase this message in a way that would have been clearer to you?

I never saw the error message above, instead what I saw was:

I only knew that there would be an issue from the ‘Trying it out’ section of the ‘Introduction to ChoiceScript’ page. I just wasn’t sure if this issue would prevent Chrome users from browsing these pages from the web in general. I plan on using this on my own web server, so I am happy to know that it won’t be an issue on the web.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.